Need Help on my Rive Build

As of now I've decided on what to do (or rather try). I'll post a short run down of my build, feedback is much appreciated!

Passive Tree

Trash Clear:
Flicker Strike - Multistrike - Melee Splash - Melee Phys - PCoC
Single Target: Viper Strike - Multistrike - Melee Phys - Bloodlust
Mobility: Whirling Blades - Faster Attacks - Fortify
Auras & Buffs & Curses: Blasphmey Vuln - Grace - Bloodrage

So the reason for PCoC on Flicker Strike is that it opens up the possibility to use Vulnerability. This is the curse of choice because it double dips both, Flicker Strike and Viper Strike.
Last edited by kahzin on Apr 27, 2016, 9:52:16 AM
Last bumped on Apr 28, 2016, 1:59:28 AM
k, a few things:

-I don't get how PCoC opens up the possibility of using vulnerability. Are you implying you'd use Assassin's Mark otherwise, cuz i wouldn't count on that solely anyway, as it doesn't help with charges against many bosses. Personally, I'd probably just ditch the crit and use a Gladiator (in fact I'm planning a similar build, though I'd probably use something else for clearing), it's good for frenzy charge generation and good for bleeding (and clearing with exploding bleeding enemies)

-I wouldn't run blasphemy vulnerability; you probably don't need it for clearing (and blasphemy isn't reliable for flicker without increased aoe, if you start the flicker outside of blasphemy range it won't apply the curse before the damage hits, i've experienced this using poacher's blasphemy to try for frenzy charges). It's a good curse for the style, but it mostly counts against single-targets... you can use it manually there and use something else with the mana reserve (like arctic armor). Or you could use temp chains blasphemy for defense + some DoT offense and pick up something with +1 curse to use vuln manually.

-Don't use multistrike on viperstrike. It's a mistake to use it for a single-target skill like viperstrike; it's only about a 35% dps amp at its best (which is very low for a support link), and in reality its mechanics can really kill your focused damage between the forced target-switching and the rooting. If there's another target nearby, you'll change targets and not hit your intended focus, and/or if the intended focus simply strolls away, you could be left swinging at air for the remaining attacks in the trio. If even one attack out of every forced-trio misses your intended target due to multistrike's mechanics, multistrike will actually diminish your single-target damage while eating up a support link, and with a skill like viperstrike that can only hit one single target with each swing, you'll spend far too many attacks not striking your intended target. You would be better off using something like Void Manipulation or (if you can deactivate bloodrage at-will with a weapon swap) melee damage on full life.

-Bring along a vaal lightning trap, ideally linked with inc duration. Shocking bosses is excellent for viperstrike. I've you got sockets to spare, GMP+LMP ups the coverage nicely too.

-Consider using a Ming's Heart. A lotta people shy away because of the reduced max life stigma, but that physical damage added as chaos is a hell of a damage amp for a build like this, since you wouldn't have other physical damage added as x and the chaos would contribute to poison bases.
Last edited by Shppy on Apr 27, 2016, 4:13:25 PM
Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

I've been editing this thread alot of times. When I first posted I was struggeling between crit or non crit. In fact I started this build non crit and decided to go crit when I were at Alira in merciless. My initial plan was to play a gladiator aswell, but when I testet Gratuitous Violence I realized that it wouldn't be really necessary. I think if I can properly generate power charges the Assassin is a well rounded class to pick for this build.

I do agree, Assassin's Mark alone wouldn't be enough, but it would be sufficient for general clearing. I'd still have to use a PCoC setup for bosses. I'd probably use Frenzy - CoH - Vuln - PCoC. I'll test the interaction between a Blasphemy Curse and Flicker strike once I hit level 70. If it's true what you say I'll have to make some changes. I'm even considering to drop Flicker Strike then, even tho I think it offers the best synergy and overall clear speed potential.

Not running multistrike on Viper Strike is a valid point. I'll see what's best once I can equip Rive.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info