This is a message to the people doing lab runs

"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
Ironmallet wrote:
Honestly, I'm beginning to see a pattern here: anything that requires you to actually pay a bit of attention and use your brain, you don't like.

Well, yes. I said ARPGs should be casual and require no mental effort or reflexes previously. That's the reason I dislike traps in first place (well, traps can't be killed nor built around too, and they don't fit the genre). Not a secret, really.

And like I said, your view of what an ARPG should be is incredibly narrow-minded and dogmatic. PoE has done some pretty amazing stuff for the genre and I, for one, am incredibly grateful for it. Basically, you need to improve as a player or move on to an easier game.
IGN: Ironmallet
"
Ironmallet wrote:
And like I said, your view of what an ARPG should be is incredibly narrow-minded and dogmatic. PoE has done some pretty amazing stuff for the genre and I, for one, am incredibly grateful for it. Basically, you need to improve as a player or move on to an easier game.

Too many think like me, I'll just wait. For example, see this thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216. Full of people that know what an ARPG should be and don't like trap crap in their ARPGs.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
Ironmallet wrote:

Too many think like me, I'll just wait. For example, see this thread: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1609216. Full of people that know what an ARPG should be and don't like trap crap in their ARPGs.

Too many? You mean the minority of players who visit the forums? On top of that, not everyone in that thread even agrees with you. The player stats for Ascendancy tell a completely different story.
"
Ironmallet wrote:
Too many? You mean the minority of players who visit the forums? On top of that, not everyone in that thread even agrees with you. The player stats for Ascendancy tell a completely different story.

The players are there because of Cadiro Perandus. The casual direction is the future. You'll see in next league!
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
Ironmallet wrote:
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
Ironmallet wrote:
Honestly, I'm beginning to see a pattern here: anything that requires you to actually pay a bit of attention and use your brain, you don't like.
Well, yes. I said ARPGs should be casual and require no mental effort or reflexes previously. That's the reason I dislike traps in first place (well, traps can't be killed nor built around too, and they don't fit the genre). Not a secret, really.
His view isn't narrow-minded and dogmatic, GGG's is. They're trying to make a game with niche appeal for a niche audience, instead of a game with broad appeal for a broad audience. The only reasonable way to broaden GGG's audience is to dumb down its mechanics and make it more mainstream. The two alternatives to a broader appeal in terms of increasing profitability are to squeeze more per user out of its microtransaction system, and keeping costs down by generating content in a more cost-effective manner. Both of these are strategies that keep a company out of the headlines and ruin a developer's chance to become famous, which is what all the AAA developers really want.
Spoiler
I'm actually serious.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 26, 2016, 10:41:54 PM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
Ironmallet wrote:

The players are there because of Cadiro Perandus. The casual direction is the future. You'll see in next league!

Or, you know, they are there because of Ascendancy content. Or both.
Last edited by Ironmallet on Apr 26, 2016, 10:43:02 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
His view isn't narrow-minded and dogmatic, GGG's is. They're trying to make a game with niche appeal for a niche audience, instead of a game with broad appeal for a broad audience. The only reasonable way to broaden GGG's audience is to dumb down its mechanics and make it more mainstream. The two alternatives to a broader appeal in terms of increasing profitability are to squeeze more per user out of its microtransaction system, and keeping costs down by generating content in a more cost-effective manner. Both of these are strategies that keep a company out of the headlines and ruin a developer's chance to become famous, which is what all the AAA developers really want.
Spoiler
I'm actually serious.

I don't agree. GGG has shown multiple times that they are willing to compromise on their vision, which means they are not dogmatic and are trying to strike a balance between their original vision of a truly hardcore ARPG and mainstream appeal.

I also don't agree that this makes GGG and PoE unpopular. Remember, PoE has gotten at least one GotY award and quite a bit of mainstream exposure through press(the aforementioned GotY award) and streamers. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but GGG has doubled in size as a company since the beta. They are doing very well for themselves. Finally, becoming an AAA developer may not be GGG's ultimate aspiration and that's perfectly valid.
Last edited by Ironmallet on Apr 26, 2016, 10:50:22 PM
"
Ironmallet wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Spoiler
I'm actually serious.

I don't agree. GGG has shown multiple times that they are willing to compromise on their vision, which means they are not dogmatic and are trying to strike a balance between their original vision of a truly hardcore ARPG and mainstream appeal.
Or: although deep down they still cling to dogmatic ideals and mostly abide by them, in a few select instances betraying those ideals for a quick buck was an overwhelming temptation. (Casualization by intent.)

Or: despite their tenancy to diverge from ARPG tradition with clever innovation, design choices which followed the traditions have painted them into a corner, the resolution of which further casualizes the game. (Casualization by error.)

In any case, I agree that they've compromised many times.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 26, 2016, 11:01:16 PM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
"
Ironmallet wrote:
Holy lasagna, this NeroNoah fellow has got to be a troll.

No, it's just the plain truth. I'm giving Sexcalibure's thread the respect it deserves. GGG will not learn things suck if people don't play as Sexcalibure says they should play.

just man up and learn how to do the lab already, seriously.
Yeah, the lab is very boring to run through. Then again, so is the second half of both act 3-4.
And the map system is also boring. The reason why the dried lake is so much fun is that you can run and shoot while also not needing to roll the area every single time with your own currency.
Just ctrl+click => new area, more farming. Less trading, less bullshit crafting, more enjoyment.
Vote +1 to change Path of Exile to Path of Nerfs.
We hate to say, but ProjectPT was right.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info