A possible clue to help with the lag/crash issues

I am no programmer, so bear with me as I try to explain this in the hopes that it may give a glimpse into the severe program lag issues so many of us are having.

What if the stuttering has 0 to do with internet connectivity and everything to do with a game engine function like allocating the position on the map? The server clock now has to wait for the client program to catch up, not just wait for packets ?

In my case, there is a definite correlation between the time movement halts and I lose sync, and the physical position I am at on the map. For example, it doesn't seem to matter if there is many mobs or none on screen, but my location on the map means everything. i can re-trigger the desync by logging out/in, re-entering the map, and moving to the same spot more often than not.

Here's the strange thing I noticed though, that seems more relevant to me:

There's a direct correlation between how severe the desync is, and how much of the map is revealed through "fog-of-war". If the desync is severe enough that i log out then back in, the dropped items and dead mobs on the map are in place, but I have to "rediscover" the map right from the start, and I watch the mini-map get drawn or "filled in" again as I run through to where i left off.

Every single time I suffer severe desync, like every 5 minutes or so on average, it correlates to the data of the "discovered" portion of the map being not saved. Is this indicative of a problem with the program "drawing" and saving the info re: "fog of war"?

Does this make any sense to anyone? Just throwing it out there on the off chance that it gets read by a programmer, the programmer shouts " OMG, that's IT !!!" , the problem gets fixed based on my tip, and GGG sends me a bag of cash/plane tix to Tahiti by way of thanx..... :P
Dun open teh box, Floaty, yer gonna freeze for sure.
Last edited by YlorLuas on Apr 24, 2016, 8:59:10 PM
Last bumped on Apr 24, 2016, 9:19:45 PM
I'm getting lag spikes and disconnects sitting in a town. During the mornings and day hours I experience no issues at all but once it get around 7 or 8 pm CST the problems start to begin.
Last edited by Atnola on Apr 24, 2016, 9:24:43 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info