Build advice for a beginner, with a particular weapon in mind.

"
Darestine wrote:
I have a high level one-handed sword, Bramble Stinger, Courtesan Sword. And I want to make a build around it, since it's a very good one, (stats in a spoiler down below) but I have no idea what to go for, also most of the "guides" in the forum are not beginner friendly, since I only started this game 2 days ago, I'd love to get some help from you guys on deciding.

1)When you type a post
2)click on the face of your character in top left
3) an overlay will appear, click on the item you want to show
4) close that overlay and the items location code will be embed in your post
5) submit and it the item will appear like this

ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
"
Darestine wrote:
I have a high level one-handed sword, Bramble Stinger, Courtesan Sword. And I want to make a build around it, since it's a very good one, (stats in a spoiler down below) but I have no idea what to go for, also most of the "guides" in the forum are not beginner friendly, since I only started this game 2 days ago, I'd love to get some help from you guys on deciding.

1)When you type a post
2)click on the face of your character in top left
3) an overlay will appear, click on the item you want to show
4) close that overlay and the items location code will be embed in your post
5) submit and it the item will appear like this

Thank you, did that.
I'm a duck, Imma quack, I suck
Few points for a beginner:

there are some guides that are quite oriented towards new players. But they often rotate around established and "safe" builds (totem build as an example).

here's a build that isn't hard to work with:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/868996/page/1

That one is a solid build to start with. It relies on the defensive aspects of the gladiator ascendancy class to take the place of what otherwise would be expensive uniques. and it has a variety of optional main attacks explained (with gem setups as well.) If you read the whole guide it's really good at explaining many of the details of the build. I personally ran with sunder, but Reave is just as effective. having the defensive benefits of blocking help out when your learning the ropes. if you want a build that is easy on the beginner, then go with armor+block+life. This one has those in spades.

They show some uniques in there, but really you can run that build with just a solid set of rares + whatever you find along the way. It relies on heavy armor, which is easy to gear for. the shield is optional: you can run with a high armor rare shield, or eventually trade for the ones mentioned (lioneyes is far easier to get right now then Aegis).

ALso keep in mind that uniques are easier to get this league then most others. As you play you will collect Chaos Orbs naturally, and a few of those can buy you some nice rares or solid uniques to add to your collection. my first toon with this league pretty much had all his "end game" gear by the time he was able to use it (it was a cheaper build, but I had planned that).

While it's great to experiment and grow with the skill tree, at the same time it can be somewhat intimidating. finding an easy setup guide can help allot as you learn and grow.
Last edited by Temjiu on Apr 24, 2016, 8:19:31 PM
"
Temjiu wrote:
-snip-

Thank you for the help, will check out that guide, also what do you think about the sword? Good? Bad? Any other advice you would give to a newcomer?
Hey I wont tell you a build, but I will tell you a few tips for you to build it for yourself. Best part of PoE is the crazy theory crafting, and I do not want you to miss on it.

You have a fast weapon that applies bleed on hit. First thing go here; http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Bleed and learn how passives, ascendancy notables and uniques interact with bleed status.

Then decide on your offhand; another weapon or shield. Check all unique one handed weapons first to see if there is anything that will interact with your build in a special way. Sometimes an unique weapon can function better than a shield.

Tips for theory-crafting:
- DO include enough defenses. Million DPS means little when you can not survive a devourer surfacing. Main part of defense is increased % max life and aim roughly %100+ (the more the better, but this is a good line to draw as good enough)
- Beware of difference between MORE <stat> vs Increased <stat>. if you have +10% increased +25% increased +15% and +10% more that translates into => <base stat> * (increased: 100 + 10 + 25 + 15)/100 * (more: 100 + 10)/100
- CAP your resistances for pre 70 lvl, and overcap for 70+ against curses that drop resistances.
- Account for reflect, otherwise you will one shot yourself with %10 physical reflect
- Have Bleed resistances against Corrupted Blood (flasks/notables)
- Have Freeze immunity for opening Strongboxes (flask/gear)
- Do NOT try to include too much. Have trigger gems handle chores, you focus on situational skills like attack/mobility/situational utility. Less is more, 3 active skills in total is a good number.
- Do NOT have more than one skill doing same thing
- Consider tools other than direct attacks like totems, traps, mines in your combat strategy
- Have sustain (leech, regen, life/ES gain on hit etc).
- Do NOT limit yourself to ice/fire golem. They are good, but other utilities may turn your build into something better.
- Do go through all curses, and plan Curse on Hit setups.
- Aim for 5L main skill setup, 6th is luxury. If you can not get it to work with 5L, rework your strategy as you are doing something wrong.

*** MOST IMPORTANT ***
- Decide the range your character engages in fight. Do not mix and match long range auras/skills/attacks with low range ones. Also decide whether you build can only face forward or can function in surrounded situations.

Have FUN!!

"
symban wrote:
-snip-

I'll check the wiki etc. but I'm way too new, I don't know how to get curses, how to cap stuff, let alone play around reflect etc. I'm trying to learn, but there are lots to learn and not many guides teaching it. I'll keep playing the game and learn new stuff for a long time, and then I'll start making my own builds, have fun and lucky drops :)
See... that's what I meant. All that was good advice, but you don't have a basis yet to understand it. Play the game for fun for a while before you worry about what all that meant.
I have no knowledge of melee builds, so I can't help you with finding a specific build.

But as someone already mentioned, have a skill in mind and then look through the guides for it. I think the skill the character will use is the most important factor to take into account when deciding the build. Obviously you won't be using fire arrow or incinerate, so check whatever skills can be used with one handed swords and see which one you seem to like best :)

Good luck!
Reality is an illusion, Exile.
Play, die. Ask yourself "why did i die?".

Repeat until you no longer die or understand fully why it happened and how to prevent it.

Enjoy.

A build guide is a very shallow tool if you lack the knowledge to understand why it functions the way it does.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Darestine wrote:
"
Temjiu wrote:
-snip-

Thank you for the help, will check out that guide, also what do you think about the sword? Good? Bad? Any other advice you would give to a newcomer?

Actually it's a great sword. Solid damage, very fast (the IAS on it is nice), and some resists to boot. pretty solid weapon.

If I were going to use that as a base with the guide I mentioned, I'd go with Reave, and for Gem setup I'd use something like this:

Reave>Melee Physical Damage>Faster Attacks>Multistrike>Concentrated Effect>Increased AoE

Usually in a guide you'll want to follow the gem setup in that order. In other words, outside of the base skill, you'll want to get Melee Physical damage next, then Faster attacks, then Multi, etc. One thing I always do with gem setups early on is use an elemental damage gem until you get multistrike (it's not until the late 30's that you get one). for physical damage builds Added fire is nice. I actually keep the added fire in my gem setup until i can get a 6 link and socket both Concentrated Effect and Increased Aoe at the same time. if you only have a 5 link, keep the Added Fire Damage with Multi. so a 5 link would looks like this:

Reave>Melee Physical Damage>Faster Attacks>Multistrike>Added Fire Damage

For a 4 link, I'd drop the Added Fire. Reave experts may have a slight different gem setup, but this is pretty common for a physical AoE skill like Reave.

Also keep an eye open for decent swords as you level (or dagger/claw. Reave works with all 3). Physical damage range is top priority on those. These will carry you through until you can equip that monster you have on the first page.

Here's the build from the thread that I modified for Your reave:

Basically I swapped out the mace Bonuses for sword bonuses. NOTE: At the Bottom I picked up the Keystone Iron Reflexes. This is purely optional...the guide does not take it and explains why. I added it as it allows you a little more flexibility early on in gear choice, which can help if it's your first toon. it basically allows you to pick any kind of gear with evasion OR armor on it, and it converts it all to armor (which is key for this build). I also added the Bleed Hub, and I'd recommend the ascendancy tree using Painforged, Versatile Combat, and Gratuitous Violence (GV is for your bleeds, which your sword works well with).

As you level, I'd start by working your way over to Resolute technique as early as possible. It's a big jump in DPS, and it means you don't have to worry about accuracy or crit on your gear. Then I'd pick a damage hub to fill out (or fill the big one out partway), and grab a few health nodes. Here's what I'd have by my mid 40's:

from there I'd go grab Iron Reflexes and Unwavering stance ASAP (I wouldn't get Unwaver until I got IR first). then I'd move towards the block hub at the very bottom, and then just alternate filling out health and Damage nodes as I finish up.

Also, with your first Chaos Orb(or cheaper...haven't priced these in awhile) I'd hunt down and buy one of these:

You can easily use that shield through Normal and even part of Cruel if needed. Upgrade to a solid armor shield once you can find late normal/early nightmare.

And Symbans tips are awesome. One thing I'd personally recommend no matter how new you are is to keep a browser window handy with 2 tabs open. One to the PoE Wiki site in general, the other to the Wiki's skill gem page. I will regularly reference these multiple times through my play sessions. As you play, you will want to be able to reference your skill gems and their growth stages, tags, etc. the wiki site makes it easy.
Last edited by Temjiu on Apr 25, 2016, 3:04:06 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info