Comments Disappearing from Reddit - GGG Has Nothing to do with Governance of /r/pathofexile

The biggest problem with Reddit is that they give too much power to the users

upvote
downvote

downvote should be there

if GGG wants to add such system to the forums it should only be upvotes

so that way the best are upvote but the unpopular ones arent downvoted for stupid reasons

best example of this is atm, on one of my reddit thread, i got downvote because i proved somebody wrong with facts and proofs lol

Upvote is giving power to the creativity, the intelligence, while Downvote is giving power to trolls and bullies
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 27, 2016, 7:09:23 PM
"
Heywoody wrote:
As a reddit fan who rarely browses these forums I fully expect to be torn apart for this post but I'll post it anyway...

"
Temjiu wrote:

thinking that Reddit is open and uncontrolled and 'balanced' is like thinking that a salesman really has your best interests in mind. Even if he does care about your interest, he cares more about getting his compensation check.

I think you're mistaken. Let me fix that statement for you:

I was hopeful at the opening that maybe, just maybe, you wouldn't post something that turns into asshatery. But, fuck no, you jump right in. Temjiu expressed his opinion. You jump right in with insults through implication. "I think you're mistaken." implying he's not observant enough to form a valid opinion. Following up with more asshatery - "Let me fix that statement for you:" as if you're an authority to correct his opinion.

"
Heywoody wrote:

thinking that The Official Path of Exile Forums run by Grinding Gear Games is open and uncontrolled and 'balanced' is like thinking that a salesman really has your best interests in mind. Even if he does care about your interest, he cares more about getting his compensation check.

There you go. I think you had the /r/pathofexile subreddit- a forum run by volunteers with no monetary goals whatsoever- confused with the Official Path of Exile Forums, which is the complete polar opposite in that regard.

Heywoody, you have no proof that the people who run the subreddit don't get compensated in some way. You have no proof that the people who run the subreddit don't have monetary goals or hidden agendas. You have no proof that the downvoting doesn't happen from people who have hidden profiteering agendas.

"
Heywoody wrote:

I can see why people don't like reddit. On reddit you have to make a worthy contribution to the discussion in order to gain recognition (comment upvotes), and you need to make a worthy contribution to the subreddit in order to get on the front page (submission upvotes). In that regard, quality content is rewarded and garbage posts are punished.

I don't like subreddits that have asshats making asshat comments. I don't give one shit about downvoting / upvoting. You're trying to imply that if a post gets upvoted that it's quality content, and that's not true. Upvoting only means it's popular to a certain group of people. Something can be extremely well done, and precise, and beautiful, but if it's not posted by someone who the group accepts, it doesn't matter how well done the work is.

"
Heywoody wrote:

But on a forum like this any old conspiracy theory nonsense can make the top of the 1st page of the forum as long as people keep posting in that discussion, just like I am now. (And now I'm contributing to the problem simply by posting this reply. Shame on me.) On a forum like this, however, everyone can stand on their soapbox and be heard, no matter how low-quality their contribution to the discussion is.

I made my point clear in my post, with screenshots, and title. But, you're not here to do anything but express derogation like horstkaracho. From what you say, you seem to believe that not everyone has the right to be heard about their experiences. I'm not talking about posts like "in first", "your mom", "you so eli5", or "I'm gonna troll you by using as many indirect insults as I can to insult your intelligence so I can feel like I'm a smart guy". So, shut the fuck up. If you don't believe others have the right, then neither do you. I believe people have the right to express and share their experiences without ridicule / bullying. You believe that if a person doesn't have the bully squad's approval they don't deserve to be heard.

Reddit's purpose is to allow people to downvote posts that don't relate to the topic to put them in a lower ranking or to eventually remove the posts entirely. The issue with that lies with the issue of any system. People abuse it. People can downvote genuine issues and claim "conspiracy theory nonsense" and have the posts fall into oblivion from downvotes to hide the issue when instead people considering playing the game should have available to them the unresolved concerns.

"
Heywoody wrote:

Tbh I'm surprised how many people come to these forums for what they consider "meaningful discussion" when every single patch notes post from GGG (which are always linked from reddit as soon as they're posted) is followed by 15 pages of quality 1-word comments like "First!" or "wow" or "thanks" or "great" or "cool" or "awesome"... but I'm sure the "meaningful discussion" is in there somewhere, right?

I've looked for constructive dialogue in your entire post. Stating that the only posts worth making a validation for "meaningful discussion" exist in the comments to patch notes is extremely limited. Someone on reddit can say, "look this dank meme." and get 1000 upvotes. Completely useless when thinking about what discussion should be related to path of exile, but it would ride. But, someone who's not popular asks a question, and depending on who's on, gets bashed with "anyone who can read can find the answer to this question on the wiki." or something of the sort.

Reddit has no consistency regarding how people respond. You might get a useful answer, or you might get trolled as hard as reddit allows depending on who happens to see it first, or who happens to be on at that moment. I'd much rather know the motivations of the people running the forums through clear agreements than some supposed altruistic "we're going to do what's best for you" agreement coming from a volunteer status.
YOUTUBE - http://www.youtube.com/richardbmiller2
TWITCH - http://www.twitch.tv/hellcat5gaming
"
鬼殺し wrote:
The rest is subjective. Im one of those weird people who find the insulting and attacks made on friends or even colleagues pretty clear reason to dislike someone, especially when its unprovoked.

And thats happened to me there, repeatedly.

Not saying we're friends, you and I, but if you're cool with what that subreddit says about me, that kinda sucks.

I've had friends there bashed without reason also, repeatedly. Makes me wonder how many people share that experience.
YOUTUBE - http://www.youtube.com/richardbmiller2
TWITCH - http://www.twitch.tv/hellcat5gaming
Rule 1 of Path of Exile, never ever ever ever ever visit the subreddit.. GGG Spends more time there than here... its not worth the shittyness of Reddit, especially that Sub.
Twitch: twitch.tv/slayertip

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
The biggest problem with Reddit is that they give too much power to the users

upvote
downvote

downvote should be there

if GGG wants to add such system to the forums it should only be upvotes

so that way the best are upvote but the unpopular ones arent downvoted for stupid reasons

best example of this is atm, on one of my reddit thread, i got downvote because i proved somebody wrong with facts and proofs lol

Upvote is giving power to the creativity, the intelligence, while Downvote is giving power to trolls and bullies
The biggest problem is the downvote.

"Downvote is not a disagree button" but thats exactly what its used for. Salty shitters there have multiple account to downvote you with. I cant even list the number of times ive have like 50 upvotes, to check a few hours later, see one person disagree or and suddenly have negative points.

Oh and any opinions that arent hive mind full retard opinions that disagree with their agenda are also downvoted.

I remember posting a comment about how profitable Labyrinth can be, got downvoted to shit, two weeks later someone else posts about how good it is and its upvoted to the front page.
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Last edited by Tin_Foil_Hat on Apr 26, 2016, 7:28:37 PM
You are new to this whole Reddit thing aren't you?
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Hellcat5 wrote:

"
Heywoody wrote:

thinking that The Official Path of Exile Forums run by Grinding Gear Games is open and uncontrolled and 'balanced' is like thinking that a salesman really has your best interests in mind. Even if he does care about your interest, he cares more about getting his compensation check.

There you go. I think you had the /r/pathofexile subreddit- a forum run by volunteers with no monetary goals whatsoever- confused with the Official Path of Exile Forums, which is the complete polar opposite in that regard.

Heywoody, you have no proof that the people who run the subreddit don't get compensated in some way. You have no proof that the people who run the subreddit don't have monetary goals or hidden agendas. You have no proof that the downvoting doesn't happen from people who have hidden profiteering agendas.

You miss the point - all that conspiracy theory around Reddit, which is not controlled by GGG, makes no sense at all. If Reddit is controlled by GGG, isn't their own fucking forum controlled by them, too?
Yet, they allow your conspiracy debunkery agency to roll on their forum, which they clearly can moderate. Wouldn't they simply delete your thread, and ban you, to nobody sees their secret, underground movement?

Lets cut to the chase - you got downvoted, and instead of acknowledging that Reddit community can be dumb at times, you seek for alternative explanations (aka getting paranoid), because all of the community loves you. These theories make no sense, when you think about them. Some people will hate your guts, just because you are you...

If you want to lash out on me, read this
... just like you hate me, for instance.
And yeah, you will lash out on me, because you hate me. It doesn't matter how right I might be, you will say I'm an asshole, and that I'm wrong.

Because this is how people act of pure emotion, instead of logic and reasoning.
Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
https://joeduncan123.imgur.com
https://joeduncan1234.imgur.com
Last edited by Perq on Apr 29, 2016, 4:18:41 AM
shadowbanned? heh reddit, freedom of speech, untill mods dont agree lol

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info