RIP totems = RIP PoE

"
JNF wrote:
Although I think op's post is a bit immature and tacky, for those of you who don't get it...you're newbs. Fact is, you should be able to drop a totem and walk away while it continues to kill monsters. That's the whole point of having proxy damage. If your totem can't kill things while you're off-screen, then what is the point in running a totem build whatsoever?

If that's what the OP meant, then we can close this thread since it's pointless.

Totems still kill things while off screen.

Totems used to stay in 'suspended animation' if you got too far away from them (like, 3 screens away). Not attacking, not dying, just increasing your totem count.

Now, totems die instead of doing this. This is fine for all totem builds. It only affects you negatively if you liked coming across surprise old totems while backtracking.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"
dudiobugtron wrote:
"
JNF wrote:
Although I think op's post is a bit immature and tacky, for those of you who don't get it...you're newbs. Fact is, you should be able to drop a totem and walk away while it continues to kill monsters. That's the whole point of having proxy damage. If your totem can't kill things while you're off-screen, then what is the point in running a totem build whatsoever?

If that's what the OP meant, then we can close this thread since it's pointless.

Totems still kill things while off screen.

Totems used to stay in 'suspended animation' if you got too far away from them (like, 3 screens away). Not attacking, not dying, just increasing your totem count.

Now, totems die instead of doing this. This is fine for all totem builds. It only affects you negatively if you liked coming across surprise old totems while backtracking.
This is correct. The totems are only deleted when they outside the sleep range - the distance from the player at which literally nothing can happen.
Totems that far from the player have never done anything and could never do anything. They reason they lasted forever is that as far as the game is concerned, they're no longer an object in the active world for which time is passing, so their duration stopped expiring.

They were never able to do anything at all at that distance, and it's not possible or reasonable to make them do anything. Neither can monsters at that distance do anything.

This was not a nerf, unless you're wearing Soul Mantle and previously were getting off on a technicality by having your totems never actually die.
 Wow, another rare visit from a Talosion... err... PoE master race. I sure hope that the top Wraeclast world controllers (the givers of pain and delight) do make Cadiro encounters more frequent than a GGG employee post to a thread in these forums for next league. Chris did not empart any words of encouragement in the State of Exile #51 podcast about keeping Cadiro Perandus in as a permanent resident of Wraeclast despite all the overwhelming positive feedback and the high daily player stats.

As for the information from GGG_Mark. I never expected or gave any though to what happens if I deploy totems and then run very far away from them. I always assumed they would expire and be gone when the timer expired. Strange that some players expected that totems would keep functioning way off-screen which seems to me to be an illogical expectation. Of course the totem buffs and Hierophant subclass that allows me to put up 3 totems simultaneously and still use another skill is super wonderful and makes playing a totem caster fun-to-play. That hasn't been available until now so GGG had better not go nerfing come next June league. GGG opened up the mystery magic box and let out some wonderful goodness and if they go back then that will be a "WTF are they doing now? Never take away what is making PoE fun-to-play".
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Totems that far from the player have never done anything and could never do anything.

I wouldn't be so sure of that. I submitted a bug report back in January that shows I was able to run 3 or 4 screen lengths away from a twinned Conservatory boss and still kill them with damage immune/infinite duration totems. The report was originally about the unlimited totem duration from a distance but after further testing I was able to kill many map bosses by simply running very far away after dropping my totems.

This was while using my Sire of Shatters build. The build was in it's infancy so the damage wasn't very great, even if the totems were only active when I was a certain distance from them, they shouldn't have been able to kill the bosses that fast (the time it took to run away and then to run back to them I mean). I was AFK for roughly 15-20 minutes and around 3 or 4 screens away and still got the kill. It only played the death animation when I walked up.

Glad to see it finally got fixed though. :)

Edit: Just to clarify on how long it takes to get in and out of that range, I was using these two items and the map was rolled with shocked ground. So you can imagine I'm in and out in a flash. hehe
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Last edited by Shovelcut on Apr 21, 2016, 12:33:11 AM
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
This is correct. The totems are only deleted when they outside the sleep range - the distance from the player at which literally nothing can happen.
Totems that far from the player have never done anything and could never do anything. They reason they lasted forever is that as far as the game is concerned, they're no longer an object in the active world for which time is passing, so their duration stopped expiring.

They were never able to do anything at all at that distance, and it's not possible or reasonable to make them do anything. Neither can monsters at that distance do anything.

This was not a nerf, unless you're wearing Soul Mantle and previously were getting off on a technicality by having your totems never actually die.

Interesting. I didn't know things slept at a distance or that one could avoid curses on Soul Mantle by manipulating that fact. By "previously" I presume deletion does count as death for Soul Mantle, so that's nice.

But I'm still left with a curiosity. If I drop a totem and I run far enough away that it would delete, will it still delete if a party member is standing over it perhaps fighting mobs that aren't asleep (for her?) because she is there? Would my totem have slept previously in that case? Will a totem providing support to a party member suddenly stop functioning/delete as I run out of range?
If any player is within the sleep/wake range of an object, it's awake. The totem will only die when no players are in range, not just you.
Cool, thanks. Good fix then. :)
"
Mark_GGG wrote:

From what my buddy tested, it also nerfed Ancestral Protector. You could just leave one of those permanently alive and still have the "more as" buff up.

I never had the chance to do it, but I was planning on trying to abuse this on standard by having melee weapon on my second-hand slot, drop an Ancestral, run out of the sleeping range and switch back to my main hand ranged weapon. I wonder if the totem would've disappeared, considering it's in sleep mode.
[s]only mindless sheep think labyrinth is OK to have in PoE.[/s]
okay nevermind labyrinth, fix dx9 blackscreen instead...
"
LMTR14 wrote:
how is there no backlash whatsoever? really? nobody playing totems? double flame + searing was my only endgame-ready build ever, and it was taken out with some shitty nerf that isn't even billed as one.

I mean it only was the last straw, I hated the game thoroughly beforehand. but this is yet one more way this community proves it's the second worst online game community ever. fucking fanboys and white knights

I used to not work at GGG and have first hand knowledge of the memos being passed around about targeting your particular account and characters.
I was on a team of 14 people whose sole purpose was to piss you off.

Doth thou smell a Christmas bonus? Thy doth.
RRRRRRRRRRRR IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII PPPPP
R.I.P 4.B.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info