Earthquakes.

Five minutes ago we had another earthquake here in Kyushu. I find them very unnerving.

Despite living in Japan for over a decade, I've only experienced two significant room-shaking ones before last week, yet in the past four days I've experienced about 10 or so. I'm far enough from the epicenter that none have brought the building down around me, but they've been violent enough to knock things off my shelves and to make it hard to walk across the room.

Anyone have experience with these? Do you just get used to them after a while, not think anything of them?

I think it's the unpredictability (of both impact time and intensity) that bothers me most.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Last bumped on Apr 19, 2016, 7:43:37 PM
building nuclear power plants in regions like japan which have alot of earthquakes is pure madness.

for handling earthquakes just ask the kiwis, new zealand has them on a daily basis. been there 5 times for over a month each and never felt threatened in any way. there are no power plants and one just avoids several story high buildings.

and if shit really hits the fan like it did in christchurch twice, at least the area can be rebuilt.

sometimes even better than before. christchurch city council even asked people how they want their city restored, cannot imagine that in other parts of the western world. amazing folks.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
I've been through several, but all in places where earthquakes are really uncommon.

First was in Indiana; it was like, 3am or something? I remember this all very clearly: I woke up, and thought "weird, my heart is pounding really hard". Then I felt my bed shake, and wondered if the neighbors were fucking or something. Then I heard my lamps in the livingroom clanging and making awful noises. At that point, I was just confused, because the house was shaking, but I heard no wind noises (Indiana gets tornadoes...)

All in all, lasted only a few tens of seconds, but after it all stopped, I kinda just knew. So I called my mom, who lived on the other side of town. She answered the phone, and I quote: "Yeah boy we just had a fucking EARTHQUAKE!" (I love my mom)

Second one was shortly after I moved to Maine, and really it was just a couple tremors compared to that. Was living in a Trailer at the time, and looking at my then-GF's 50 gallon saltwater aquarium, when I noticed that the water near the top was sloshing back and forth, and eventually a bit spilled over the sides. For a moment, I thought it was just the roommates fucking (there's a theme), but it takes a lot of unusual motion to make an aquarium that big move like that.

So it clicked relatively quickly. We had another one later that day, I think.

Now, those were really mild, and no actual damage occurred that I know of. So, to me, it fell in the tornado catagory: funfear. The shit that happens in Japan and California? I think I would actually poop in my pants. I feel for you OP.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
Earthquakes in Japan and South America; volcanic eruptions in Mexico... the Ring of Fire is acting up. ='[.]=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info