[2.6] Chieftain dual Siege Ballista. All map mods. 8k life. Beginner and budget tips.

"
Mentoya wrote:
I really liked this build at first, but it seems as I got into beginning maps that it was hard for me to stay alive....I just feel like I'm targeted more than usual. I pop the Ballistas and it seems like their short-life span doesn't seem to worth me unless I'm right on top of them . Just seems like too much work to stay alive than what I'm use to. I'm currently level 75 and have been through 2 of the labs. The Ballistas themselves are really powerful, but too much struggle to try and stay alive.

How much life do you have ? Because I'm lvl 76 with 4.1k life right now and have no problems staying alive. Most of the times my ballistas or my golem are the main focus of all enemies. So basically I just have to walk around and place the ballistas again as soon as they get destroyed or when their lifetime is over. And if i get focused, I just run in circles and place my ballistas while they kill the mob that's behind me.

Moving is very important, if you standstill you will die.
Last edited by Elua on Sep 13, 2016, 1:34:59 PM
I just attempted Atziri. Let's say, it didn't go well. :(

I steamrolled the Vaals and the Trio, but Atziri itself feels outright impossible. The totems die way too fast in the split phase to do any reliable damage due to the insane AoE spam, and in the minion phase they keep shooting the shielded Atziri instead of the minions.

I think my damage is enough (12.5k / 18.3k / 22.7k tooltip dps unbuffed / auras+golem / auras+golem+frenzy charges), and before the Queen herself, the Apex actually felt really easy. My defenses also were enough until now (4.8k life, 38% evade, 40% dodge, 45% spell dodge).

What's the trick I'm apparently missing?
Last edited by Baelturath on Sep 13, 2016, 5:54:33 PM
Atziri is very totem-unfriendly event. This build is not shining there. Also yours stats are rather poor 23k / 5k is way too low for safe and efficient Atziri kill with this build.
Farm better gear and Uber lab, where this build don't have that "Atziri style fight" problems.
"
Baelturath wrote:
"
BaalGruf wrote:
Hi,

I'm new to SB and want to try it in essence league. In currently lvl 30 but I have the feeling that I will not be able to take Ancestral Bond. My SG are struggling with large groups, firing only 3 arrows , a bit slowly, and have very very hard time to aim. Same for single target. Maybe not enough dmg (SG is 366 with aura right now)?

Split arrow is helping but I'm feeling very weak

Do you have any advice?

Thank you

I think the low damage comes from you not using Weapon Elemental Damage Support on your Siege Ballista 4L. WEDS scales ALL elemental damage on the linked attack, including the one from other support gems, Heralds, Auras, and equipment. I didn't add a Faster Attacks Support until I had a 5L, since the damage was big enough to 1 or 2 hit most non-rare stuff anyway.

Other than that I followed the guide more or less as written. If the damage is still low with a WEDS, maybe look if you can find some cheap upgrades for your jewelry on poe.trade to add some more flat damage.

Also, definitively try to get at least a 3L with Frenzy, Curse on Hit, and Projectile Weakness (if you have a 4L for that, add Greater Multiple Projectile Support or Chain Support). Frenzy charges grant a massive DPS boost for your totems, and the curse adds more damage and some defensive knockback.

Thank you Baelturath. It's exactly what I did. Also improved my dps with jewels, and since the death harp, it works way better. Now I'm crushing cruel difficulty. Great build !
@Elua
thank you for writing such a nice and very detailed guide.
I appreciate your efforts and i got question.

I am unsure, what will give me more damage with 2 different drillnecks and dont want to make a mistake, when buying one.

So

drillneck with implicit 10% chance of Arrows Piercing

or

drillneck with implicit 15-20% of Physical Damage Converted to Fire Damage

Could you just estimate an answer without calculating exactly ?
Yo, great guide fun build. Was wondering if you do more damage wearing a snakebite gloves for the poison. Or flat physical and attack speed gloves? thanks.
Sorry if this was asked earlier in the thread, but why dint you take the extra frenzy charges by ranger and duelist.
"
animalhouse wrote:
Sorry if this was asked earlier in the thread, but why dint you take the extra frenzy charges by ranger and duelist.

Ranger buffs don't work with totems.
"
Kharadas wrote:
@Elua
thank you for writing such a nice and very detailed guide.
I appreciate your efforts and i got question.

I am unsure, what will give me more damage with 2 different drillnecks and dont want to make a mistake, when buying one.

So

drillneck with implicit 10% chance of Arrows Piercing

or

drillneck with implicit 15-20% of Physical Damage Converted to Fire Damage

Could you just estimate an answer without calculating exactly ?

This is very minor thing, if you care about clearing speed you need extra arrow Drillneck anyway.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info