/trade 101 : dedicated to help new comers with the game. Answers/Tricks/Mentoring

I like the idea in general but the real problem is how to communicate this information to people who'd really need it. The idea is that people can get quick answers to their questions without tabbing out of the game and checking the forums or reddit. But we're bound to advertise this channel on the forums and reddit.

Hate to say it, but we really need improvements to the chat system to make things like this work. The easiest solution would be a loading screen hint 'Try /global 101 if you have any questions'.
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 Isn't this what ZiggD-tv:The Path of Exile Beginner’s Guide Series is all about.

I was shocked a little to hear Chris state yesterday in the State of Exile episode 51 that about half of all new players that try Path of Exile quit at Normal Brutus because they think he's too hard to kill. If nearly half of the new players stop playing at that early boss then either they should never be here in the first place (this is not the arpg they are looking for) or are completely clueless as to how to play an arpg. Either way it's a horrible statistic and thus we who have been into PoE for a very long time (me and Bob, my pet Kiwi) should try to figure out a way to help newbies over the first PoE hurtles. We were all newbies at some point in the past and had to learn how to survive in Wraeclast the hard way (by dieing frequently).

i think for many newcomers stats and items is what confusing them . They realize the game is all about items and stats . i met a guy like that i wanted to help out with tips . he thanked me by giving me all his items and quit the game . i tried to make him change his mind but he said : he wanted to kill monsters and have fun , not playing a stock market game , quoting him . He was overwhelmed by how much he needed to learn about the game and he didnt want to bother even if he got a mentor in me for free .
"
kahzin wrote:
I like the idea in general but the real problem is how to communicate this information to people who'd really need it. The idea is that people can get quick answers to their questions without tabbing out of the game and checking the forums or reddit. But we're bound to advertise this channel on the forums and reddit.

Hate to say it, but we really need improvements to the chat system to make things like this work. The easiest solution would be a loading screen hint 'Try /global 101 if you have any questions'.
i agree with all of this

atm from time to time im going to global 1-2-3-4-5 and advertise the global
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
I agree that this is quite a good idea.

I'll probably be lurking around in 101 to see if anyone shows up. I enjoy answering questions, as a lot of you may know.

Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 Isn't this what ZiggD-tv:The Path of Exile Beginner’s Guide Series is all about.

I was shocked a little to hear Chris state yesterday in the State of Exile episode 51 that about half of all new players that try Path of Exile quit at Normal Brutus because they think he's too hard to kill. If nearly half of the new players stop playing at that early boss then either they should never be here in the first place (this is not the arpg they are looking for) or are completely clueless as to how to play an arpg. Either way it's a horrible statistic and thus we who have been into PoE for a very long time (me and Bob, my pet Kiwi) should try to figure out a way to help newbies over the first PoE hurtles. We were all newbies at some point in the past and had to learn how to survive in Wraeclast the hard way (by dieing frequently).

If this is happening then the solution isn't to increase player to player in game communication which might not happen consistently enough but rather the game needs to relay more information to that new player so they understand a little better.

Anyone with half a brain stem can beat brutus normal so there wouldn't need to be much information conveyed.
Last edited by GeorgAnatoly on Apr 11, 2016, 9:37:30 PM
hey guys where is " mud flats " ???? how do i get to prisoners gate ???
whats a good skill for shadow ???
i think making a video that literally spoon feeds the entirety of normal is good.

no, i don't want to hear about how you think i'm dumbing down the game, the learning process, and everything in between.

it has been proven time and time again that this is a surefire way of making ppl stick - by showing them what the fuck you actually need to do

will this cause dependence? if all that is provided is handholding, sure. but you need to approach it like teaching a person how to ride a bike, or the process of rehab.

when you teach someone to ride a bike, you generally start by using training wheels. in this scenario, a video walkthrough that tells the player exactly what needs to be done would be those training wheels, a method to help keep them on grounded and on the right track.

then you start taking off the training wheels. you start helping them achieve balance, nudge them onward from behind. within the video series, you can introduce new topics as relevant and required. gems, equipments, use of currency, jewels, resistances, item level, item mods, etc. or these can alternatively be separate videos that discuss these characteristics, so as not to induce information overload.

finally, while they're so wrapped up in focusing on riding, you let go without a word, and the student has attained independence.

you start showing short clips of builds in their prime, what their builds will ultimately be capable of doing. you start hinting at common synergies, letting players get excited in the prospect of dream up their own wacky creations. you demonstrate how the concepts you showed them prior tie in to their success.

before they know it, with their newfound info and lust for content, they begin cruel on their own.
Last edited by Juicebox360 on Apr 11, 2016, 11:16:14 PM
Good idea, i will be sure to let my clan know, and we will all do our best to help out as much as possible
Atziri's Fallen Army Guild - Leader/Owner
TOP GUILD Since beta!
pm if you'd like to join.
By the way, I dont think that Chris said that these people weren't able to kill brutus. I guess most new people just take a break after slaying brutus, and most of them never log on again.

Back to topic: I think it would be kinda cool if GGG would add some kind of a montor/mentee programm where new players could (semi-)officially chose a mentor who can help out, answer questions, etc.

Maybe, with this channel, we can prove that things like these are actually needed. I'll make sure to hang around when I'm back home next week :)
I wonder how long it's going to take before a newbie gets scammed out of valuable drop.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info