/trade 101 : dedicated to help new comers with the game. Answers/Tricks/Mentoring

I saw this dude asking for a mentor and I got the idea to have a channel dedicated to answer new comers with questions about the game and also to help them find a "big brother" that will help them with their playthrough and take them under their wing.

/trade 101

Erudits that want to share your POE knowledge?
kind souls that wants to help people?
Newbies that have it all to learn and want to learn

welcome!

23/04/16_Update
Sup Group!

I was quite busy recently so i had not much time to play which limited my implication on /trade 101. I was planning to do the minimum for the channel until 2.3 hits and with the new league coming with 2.3 we could go for the big hit since there are a bunch of new comers on new leagues.

Promoting a channel is quite a pain in the ass to do in POE:

-Forums arent visited much and most of the time its not by new players and it would require a constant bump

-Reddit is pretty much the same thing plus we would have to deal with the negative impact that the constant posting would have on the channel's image.

As for now the best way to promote the channel is by spamming global 1 to 10 with a friendly welcoming message.

So i decided to PM Chris and ask him if GGG could do us a favor and promote /global 101 as a Tip on loading screens. It would be nice since such channel has a positive impact on the game and the way new players see the community and their learning curve.

Unfortunately, GGG told me that its not the first time they got such request and they decided to do no channel promotion.

I am still waiting for Reddit's admins answer about adding /trade 101 along with global 5055 and 820.
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Last edited by Sexcalibure on Sep 2, 2016, 2:13:16 PM
Last bumped on Sep 2, 2016, 2:15:40 PM
No poll? Reported
"
raxleberne wrote:
No poll? Reported
very smart... guess we cant count on you for the channel
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Last edited by Sexcalibure on Apr 11, 2016, 4:55:51 PM
 Isn't this what ZiggD-tv:The Path of Exile Beginner’s Guide Series is all about.

I was shocked a little to hear Chris state yesterday in the State of Exile episode 51 that about half of all new players that try Path of Exile quit at Normal Brutus because they think he's too hard to kill. If nearly half of the new players stop playing at that early boss then either they should never be here in the first place (this is not the arpg they are looking for) or are completely clueless as to how to play an arpg. Either way it's a horrible statistic and thus we who have been into PoE for a very long time (me and Bob, my pet Kiwi) should try to figure out a way to help newbies over the first PoE hurtles. We were all newbies at some point in the past and had to learn how to survive in Wraeclast the hard way (by dieing frequently).
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 Isn't this what ZiggD-tv:The Path of Exile Beginner’s Guide Series is all about.

I was shocked a little to hear Chris state yesterday in the State of Exile episode 51 that about half of all new players that try Path of Exile quit at Normal Brutus because they think he's too hard to kill. If nearly half of the new players stop playing at that early boss then either they should never be here in the first place (this is not the arpg they are looking for) or are completely clueless as to how to play an arpg. Either way it's a horrible statistic and thus we who have been into PoE for a very long time (me and Bob, my pet Kiwi) should try to figure out a way to help newbies over the first PoE hurtles. We were all newbies at some point in the past and had to learn how to survive in Wraeclast the hard way (by dieing frequently).

maybe but a video cant answer your live question

especially when its about something very precise
 PoE Basics #1: Make sure you have the right hardware and good Internet to play PoE 

This seams like a no-brainer but even today as the many rage posts about Perandus mobs causing total screen freeze-ups attest it isn't understood by quite a few players. Rather than repeat myself here I'll refer everyone to my previous post: Are Perandus mobs killing your frame rates?.

To determine if you can get under 100 ms pings to your closest PoE realm you need to run Internet communication latency tests (how fast can a packet of data go from your computer to the PoE game servers and back to you). To do that you can use the built in Windows command prompt PING command or use a utility such as WinMTR to run the Internet speed tests. Here's my own test from my location in SW Florida: Testing your Internet connection to the PoE game servers. The different PoE game server realms are listed here: MTR and Connectivity Issue Primer. My test is to Dallas Texas at "us.login.pathofexile.com" so substitute your own closest realm or try different ones to see which has the lowest latency. It's always "the lower the better" for playing PoE best. Unfortunately if you are way out away from any PoE realm and have way high latency then PoE won't play very well and will frustrate you into quickly quitting so it is best to find out now if you are good to play with your hardware and Internet speed.
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

I like the idea of a qa style chat for discussing game mechanics, build advice etc but I worry it would degenerate into giz me free stuffz.
"
ladish wrote:
I like the idea of a qa style chat for discussing game mechanics, build advice etc but I worry it would degenerate into giz me free stuffz.
lets hope not
when everything is handed to you, you dont learn shit
"
ladish wrote:

There are the 7 classes/builds forums for discussion of a million types of builds. That is way beyond the scope of a PoE 101 discussion for new players. We can talk about things that all new players need such as finding boots that have increased speed, getting resists on gear as fast as possible, especially cold resist before taking on Normal Merveil the Siren, basics on evasion kiting ranged builds or face tanking melee builds, common recipes that all beginners should know and save items for such as 40% recipe, etc.

I guess the first thing to understand is why new players hit a Normal Brutus boss battle wall and just quit playing. Is a first time player's death at the hands of Brutus a shocker to new players? Is a new player going straight into hardcore and quickly dieing? Are new players trying to race through and find that Brutus isn't a quick face roll (experienced players yes, new players no)? Just what difficulties are the new players running into in their first forays into Wraeclast?

Of course discussing this means new players will have to use the PoE forums and find this thread.

Edit: Hmm... maybe new players haven't yet learned by the Brutus battle how to use the flasks sparingly and effectively and how they only refill by killing monsters. If a new player just tries to spam them like we did with health pots back in D2 they'll get used up fast and not get refilled until the skeletons drop in and are killed.

Last edited by Arrowneous on Apr 11, 2016, 6:15:36 PM
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
"
ladish wrote:
lets hope not
when everything is handed to you, you dont learn shit

Good point. Are new players expecting to breeze through Normal without breaking a sweat? Do they want everything we learned the hard way handed to them (entitlement)? If so then we must inform them that PoE doesn't play that way.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info