[2.3] PoisonReave/Cleave+Viper Strike (1 million DPS) Raider using Dreamfeathers (Videos Included)

This build was inspired by this Elecleave build by Tempada.

I wanted to create something different but effective. This build focuses on the synergy between Dreamfeathers, Added Chaos Damage, Poison, as well as Viper Strike for bosses.

Why Added Chaos Damage+Poison with Dreamfeathers?

• Added Chaos Damage scales well off of the increased attack damage and attack speed of dual Dreamfeathers
  • The physical damage from dreamfeathers doesn't go to waste - it gets converted to poison which gets multiplied by our other modifiers
  • Chaos damage and Poison have no issues against reflect
  • Viper Strike's unique jewel scales really well with the high attack speed of dual Dreamfeathers and 8 raider frenzy charges
  • Viper Strike is an excellent skill against bosses in general, as it lets us apply poison and run away
  • Frenzy Charges, Conc Effect(on Reave), and Void Manipulation double-dip with poison resulting in very powerful poisons

Core Items

Dual Dreamfeathers are the core of this build. Their attack damage bonus makes up for the lack of chaos damage bonuses on the tree, their physical damage gets converted to poison, and their attack speed synergizes with the flat damage bonus of added chaos damage.

Doedre's Damning lets you run a second curse which is very useful for melee survivability, and a corrupted one can roll added chaos damage as implicit.

Snakebite gives our Reave/Cleave poison at the cost of resists and lower frenzy charge duration. With Raider, our frenzy charge duration will be 9 seconds at max charges which is enough with Blood Rage, Frenzy, and raider's frenzy charge on kill. A corrupted version with +1 skill gems can increase Viper Strike's DPS quite a bit as well (due to added chaos damage scaling). Well worth it.

Queen of the Forest gives you a hefty movespeed bonus as we're going for high evasion. Since poison-focused builds can't clear as fast as pure phys/ele crit builds this helps bridge the gap, even though we're already using whirling blades for mobility. A viable alternative is Hyrri's Ire since its +dodge synergizes with Atziri's Step, or Kintsugi since its survivability benefits can outshine QotF's since we have whirling blades.

Atziri's Step makes you much more durable against spells which evasion has no cover for. It also has really high base evasion and life which our build relies on.

Finally, Growing Agony essentially turns our 4-link Viper Strike into a 5-link. Since our Attack Speed will be in the 10 APS number and the poison duration is 8*1.4(temporal chains) seconds, Viper Strike's attack damage is increased by 20% every second for up to about 220% (more with poison duration nodes and quality on blasphemy+11 APS).

Skill Tree, Bandit Rewards

Skill Tree
Level 92
Level 80
Level 70

Ascendancy Reasoning
I chose Raider to get an 8th frenzy charge, more evasion, and buffed up frenzy charges with greater duration for snakebite.

Bandits
Normal = Oak
Cruel = All (since our attack speed increase is already really high, Kraityn's bonus doesn't do that much due to diminishing returns).
Merciless= Kraityn

Links and Gear

Skill Gems Setup

(5L) Cleave Links:

Cleave+Added Chaos Damage+Multistrike+Void Manipulation+Increased Area of Effect

(5L/6L) Reave Links:

Reave+Added Chaos Damage+Multistrike+Void Manipulation+Concentrated Effect+Increased Area of Effect

(4L#1)Viper Strike Links:

Viper Strike+Added Chaos Damage+Void Manipulation+Multistrike

(4L#2)Duration Buffs:

Vaal Reave/Rallying Cry+Vaal Grace+Blood Rage+Increased Duration.

(4L#3)Trigger Curse Setup:

CWDT(level 1)+Blade Vortex(level 1)+Curse on Hit+Enfeeble

(3L#1)Aura Setup:

Grace+Blasphemy+Temporal Chains

(3L#2)Fortify Setup:

Whirling Blades+Frenzy+Fortify

Current Gear
Along with the uniques mentioned at the start of this post, we aim for high evasion, resists and life on the rest of our gear. We also try to craft chaos damage on our jewelry:

Current Flask Setup

What is this build capable of? What are its pros and cons?

Pros:
  • Strong in boss fights. This build is tankier than you might think being a melee evasion build, due to having enfeeble and temp chains combined with a powerful flask backbone.
    I've so far facetanked and beaten: Merc Izaro, Merc Malachi, Merc Lab Argus, Shrine Piety, Village Ruin bosses with extra damage, Atziri trio, and others. Viper Strike lets me get in, apply lots of poison stacks and run off before the bosses get a chance to apply most of their damage. This means that unlike other melee build i'm not all-in, I can back off and still beat the boss.
  • Tanky enough for red maps. Between 5k life, 30k evasion (before flasks), Temp Chains+Enfeeble, Fortify, max spell/attack dodge (with vaal grace) and flasks I can take the hits that do get through.
  • Can do any map mod. Doesn't put all its eggs in one basket and doesn't mind reflect.

Cons:
  • Not Uber Atziri/Core Malachi viable. This build simply can't tank that much damage.
  • Clearspeed is good, but not quite top tier. Crit ele/phys builds will out-clear this build since they can just one-shot mobs, while this build's DPS grows the longer the fight gets. Our front-loaded damage is still considerable however, as you can see in the linked gorge videos below.
  • Chance-based Melee Defense. No matter how tanky evasion makes me, there's always a chance for a chain of bad luck to make me hit the ground. However since this build also has Poison, you can keep at range from targets while still dealing damage which is a nice survivability perk.

Cleave vs Reave vs Lacerate

While Dual Wielding, Cleave gives us 20% more damage than Reave. In addition, Cleave's base damage is higher than Reave by about 11%. This makes Cleave deal 33% more damage which is about the same as a damage support. On a 5L setup with Snakebite, Cleave will have the Increased AoE gem to make up for its AoE while Reave will have a Conc Effect gem to make up for its damage.

When we get to 6L however, Reave shines as it can have both Conc Effect and Increased AoE while Cleave doesn't have another good support gem. The only saving grace for Cleave there is the extra gem slot due to not needing vaal reave, where you can fit Rallying Cry to increase your damage.

Lacerate: It's important to note that Lacerate's stated strongest point is in its versatility in both AoE and single target DPS, since it "shotguns" when you're in melee range of a boss. Since we're using Viper Strike, that aspect of Lacerate doesn't benefit the build much.

Reave DPS (400k Max DPS) calculation

Tooltip

Hideout DPS = 22k
Frenzy Charges+Blood Rage DPS = 48k
Fully Buffed DPS with Flasks = 64k

Poison

32% More poison damage from Frenzy Charges.
39% More poison damage from Void Manipulation
59% More poison damage from Concentrated Effect.
400% increased poison damage from tree and quality on gems.

25% Increased poison duration from tree.
44% More poison duration from 20% Blasphemy Temporal Chains.

Base poison damage = 10% of DPS every second
Base poison duration = 2 seconds

Buffed poison damage = 10*1.32*1.39*1.59*(1+4) = 146% of DPS every second
Buffed poison duration = 2*1.44*1.25 = 3.6 seconds

Every hit also deals 146% of its damage for 3.6 seconds, for a total of 526% of its hit damage as poison damage.

Summary

This means our maximum possible Reave DPS is 64*(1+5.26) = 400k DPS

Realistically we won't reach that number ever, since we'll be using Viper Strike in lengthy boss fights.

Viper Strike DPS (1.2 Million Max DPS) calculation

Tooltip

Hideout DPS = 19k
Frenzy Charges+Blood Rage DPS = 41k
Fully Buffed DPS with Flasks = 55k

Poison

32% More poison damage from Frenzy Charges.
39% More poison damage from Void Manipulation
380% increased poison damage from tree and quality on gems.

25% Increased poison duration from tree.
44% More poison duration from 20% Blasphemy Temporal Chains.

Base poison damage = 10% of DPS every second
Base poison duration = 8 seconds

Buffed poison damage = 10*1.32*1.39*(1+3.8) = 88% of DPS every second
Buffed poison duration = 8*1.44*1.25 = 14.4 seconds

Every hit also deals 88% of its damage for 14.4 seconds, for a total of 1267% of its hit damage as poison damage.

Growing Agony

With the Growing Agony unique jewel, we gain 2% increased attack damage for every hit, for 14.4 seconds. We hit once every 0.09 seconds. Total possible increased attack damage is:

2*14.4/0.09 = 320% increased attack damage after 14.4 seconds of hitting the same target with viper strike. Our base increased attack damage is 440% fully buffed, so 320% increased attack damage is a 59% DPS increase (a higher percentage without flasks active due to Dreamfeathers).

Summary

This means our maximum possible Viper Strike DPS is 55*(1+12.67)*1.59 = 1195k DPS or 1.2 Million DPS

Realistically we won't reach that number ever, since boss fights lasting longer than 14 seconds will be ones where we'll be forced to back off due to incoming damage and ones where we won't have flasks up all the time. Also, these bosses would have curse resistance which means temporal chains won't make poison last as long (12.7 seconds instead of 14.4 seconds).

Last edited by Novalisk on Jul 10, 2016, 4:18:06 AM
Last bumped on Oct 5, 2016, 8:05:47 PM
Reserved
Last edited by Novalisk on May 3, 2016, 9:58:26 AM
it seems well thought, just maybe a bit short on accuracy. I feel like the Acuity cluster above Herbalism would fit perfectly into the build, probably instead of Sleight of Hand.

Also, I'm jelly of you helmet.

edit: just watched the video. It behaves well defensively considering how rippy the map could be, but the clear speed is definitely low by today standard, which you pointed in the cons of the build.
edit2: did you consider Graceful Assault?
edit3: and I thought you didn't have Incr AOE. Damn, Cleave's AOE suck so much compared to Sweep (a great skill to play), and let's not talk about earthquake and ground slam.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Last edited by Panini_aux_olives on Apr 11, 2016, 6:59:22 PM
Thanks Panini!

I'm sitting at 90% accuracy at the moment so it's pretty solid. Acuity Cluster might help, but the attack speed on it will suffer from hefty diminishing returns (I'm already well over 100% IAS).

"
did you consider Graceful Assault?

When I first started the build I thought I was gonna go with Crit. The aim was to go after Graceful Assault and the sword crit multi nodes, as well as the shadow+duelist crit nodes. I ended up abandoning that idea because I had other options on the tree (life and chaos damage) and didn't wanna spend a socket on the crit strikes gem just to make dreamfeather crit viable.

Without going after the crit multi nodes, graceful assault costs quite a lot of points for not that much of a gain since our attack speed and movement speed are already too darn high for onslaught to bring much of a benefit.
Last edited by Novalisk on Apr 11, 2016, 7:01:38 PM
Added lots of edits above.
Also did you try Reave instead of Cleave? Its AOE is so much better, especially when you can maintain vaal reave stacks. Maybe then you could replace your incr. aoe by another offensive support (rapid decay?).

edit: and yet another cross post. I see your point regarding Graceful Assault.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
Last edited by Panini_aux_olives on Apr 11, 2016, 7:06:13 PM
"
Added lots of edits above.
Also did you try reave instead of cleave. Its AOE is so much better, especially when you can maintain vaal reave stacks. Maybe then you could replace your incr. aoe by another offensive support (rapid decay?).

I didn't try Reave, but heard good things about it. I might give it a go but I don't wanna re-chrome my QotF just for tests. Maybe i'll buy a temporary 5-link.
It is a bit of a slow clear, but it's a good concept. First poison-based Dreamfeather build I've seen taken to this level!

Have you tried Vulnerability instead of Enfeeble? When it comes to Reave, I've always found it to underperform with Dreamfeather.

Thanks for the shoutout :)
Dreamfeather Elemental Cleave Ranger: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1087616
I tried Vulnerability. The extra DPS it gives for physical damage isn't significant since most of our attack damage is Chaos, and the extra poison damage doesn't help that much for clearspeed. For bosses, Enfeeble is the better option regardless.
Along with more AoE for clearing, what i'd also like is to fit in a Wither Spell Totem for even more boss fight DPS. That would probably make this build good for Atziri.

Any ideas? I was thinking about going with mana reservation and running 2x blasphemy+grace in order to make room, but the mana doesn't add up. Maybe i'm missing something.
Cool! I like the different twist on things. Nicely done! :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info