Got Hacked

"
Azireus wrote:
"
Covert wrote:
"
Scully wrote:
GGG could at least have warned us about all these threads, then I would have changed my PW.

They did warn you.

Considering it is not GGG fault you got hacked, there has not been a database fault or else they would be targeting the top players who have 1000x the currency you do. It is weird that they can’t reroll characters but this is being added in the near future.

People who threaten to leave over this kind of issue, especially when it is their own fault through getting phished or using an unsecure password etc are not the kind of people this game needs.

This is not a particularly helpful form of moderation. I suggest you take a step back, and let us whine our hearts out until we get an informed response by someone who actually knows what's going on, something which clearly no one does at this very precise moment. Thank you.

You don't have to work for GGG to know that if the database security was compromised there would be hundreds, if not thousands, of these threads. Instead there are just a handful, which with the size of the playerbase is a small fraction of a percentage of affected players.

This is indicative of individual breaches of security, which are almost always the player's "fault." And in this day and age, everyone should be well aware of the importance of internet password security.
"
And in this day and age, everyone should be well aware of the importance of internet password security.

That we are, which is why we are wondering how this happened in the first place.
"
Scully wrote:
"
And in this day and age, everyone should be well aware of the importance of internet password security.

That we are, which is why we are wondering how this happened in the first place.

You clicked on a malicious site link, got phished, or tried to cheat /thread.
Last edited by Lask001 on Feb 18, 2013, 3:48:27 PM
I have PoE in my bookmarks, and don't use any other PoE related site. I haven't cheated in a video game since GTA3.
Last edited by Scully on Feb 18, 2013, 3:51:50 PM
"
LennyLen wrote:

You don't have to work for GGG to know that if the database security was compromised there would be hundreds, if not thousands, of these threads. Instead there are just a handful, which with the size of the playerbase is a small fraction of a percentage of affected players.

This is indicative of individual breaches of security, which are almost always the player's "fault." And in this day and age, everyone should be well aware of the importance of internet password security.

And all of them between yesterday night and this morning? (Europe time)

See, if it were just a couple of accounts per day than yeah, i would concour with you.

Between yesterday and today i saw at least 20+ different people saying they got hacked. And this in a 18~ hour span. Plus, just wait another 12+ hours when the americans will start logging in

Another thing you should understand is that they have just emails and passwords. And many of the streamers don't have something like "Nugiy@whatever.com" same for Kripp so probably they are just going through a list.
"
Scully wrote:
I have PoE in my bookmarks, and don't use any other PoE related site. I haven't cheated in a video game since GTA3.

Bookmarks do not protect against phishing and you wouldn't admit to cheating even if you did it.
No, but I certainly wouldn't spend my time here qq'ing if I knew using a cheat was the reason I got hacked.
"
Lask001 wrote:
"
Scully wrote:

Bookmarks do not protect against phishing and you wouldn't admit to cheating even if you did it.

Please, if all you do is randomly accuse people of cheating just get off this thread.

We are trying to get help, not a random dude just posting "LAL YOU CHEAT /THREAD".

Thanks.
"
Scully wrote:
No, but I certainly wouldn't spend my time here qq'ing if I knew using a cheat was the reason I got hacked.

That makes zero sense, as you aren't getting any of your gear back regardless of you being a cheat or not. GGG doesn't have any ability to restore characters and they do not restore items.

To the people saying there are tons of people being hacked, lets look at the numbers. At one point, PoE had 70k users online playing concurrently. If we use that as the total number of players, the "20" people that have been hacked in last day or so, we are looking at an impressive .02%. Not really a significant number.
Im posting this from my new account because there is no way in hell i will ever again log in on forums with my main account, until GGG give us different forum and in game password.

And no, they wont hack top players because if they do that GGG will be forced to rollback server and that is not in their interest. They will continue to steal stuff from unknown players little by little and sell them on e-bay and other sites.

Now how i know that this is not keylogger? Because my browser is sandboxed. Because of nature of my job im really afraid of keyloggers and other malicious software so i keep my browser sandboxed all the time.

As i posted in another thread, only sites related to PoE i ever visited are:

http://blackrabbit2999.blogspot.com/2012/07/path-of-exile-quest-gem-reward-list.html
http://poestatistics.com
and
--link removed--

We can continue talking about java scripts and keyloggers or there is much more simple explanation like someone gain access to forum database and stole account data like they did to every forum in the world at least once.

I really like GGG and i think they are doing great job, but having a same password in game and on forums is just dumb.

And sorry for my English, it sucks i know :)
Last edited by ionface on May 23, 2013, 5:13:30 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info