Slayer - Impact

"
adghar wrote:
Read Vipermagi's post at the end of last page very carefully. He doesn't technically contradict Mark in any way, in fact, he's expanding on one sentence that Mark wrote in Mark's response to question 3.

Mark's responses are mainly focused on the IAoESupport gem.

From a decision making perspective, I'm fairly sure* the takeaway should be that IAOE support gem on strictly single target with Impact is the one and only way that increased AoE bonuses won't affect Impact.

Thus, Impact is not permanently limited to 14. It can surely reach at least 16, probably more like 20 or so depending on the build. It just can't benefit from the most obvious way to increase aoe.

*the reason I say fairly sure is that some others have pointed out interesting interactions, I think with Elemental Proliferation Support. I believe Proliferation quality grants increased aoe radius to active skill, and Prolif always grants AoE gemtaggyness to the skill, I think, so using Prolif as a support would enable you to support any single target melee skill with Increased AOE and have it work.

Well if impact is affected by other sources of increased radius from the tree, then as the other guy said, the aoe is very easily going to be like 24 units. This makes more sense and makes the skill more appealing. It's still really bad, but at least less bad.
Impact is useful because it doesn't waste a gem slot. For example, on Static Strike, spending a support slot on melee splash is a slightly unappealing option. But having your initial hit splashing (and scaling with the same stuff as the secondary explosions) would be pretty cool still.
Face it, all of your suggestions are worse than this idea:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/657756
"
"
adghar wrote:
Read Vipermagi's post at the end of last page very carefully. He doesn't technically contradict Mark in any way, in fact, he's expanding on one sentence that Mark wrote in Mark's response to question 3.

Mark's responses are mainly focused on the IAoESupport gem.

From a decision making perspective, I'm fairly sure* the takeaway should be that IAOE support gem on strictly single target with Impact is the one and only way that increased AoE bonuses won't affect Impact.

Thus, Impact is not permanently limited to 14. It can surely reach at least 16, probably more like 20 or so depending on the build. It just can't benefit from the most obvious way to increase aoe.

*the reason I say fairly sure is that some others have pointed out interesting interactions, I think with Elemental Proliferation Support. I believe Proliferation quality grants increased aoe radius to active skill, and Prolif always grants AoE gemtaggyness to the skill, I think, so using Prolif as a support would enable you to support any single target melee skill with Increased AOE and have it work.

Well if impact is affected by other sources of increased radius from the tree, then as the other guy said, the aoe is very easily going to be like 24 units. This makes more sense and makes the skill more appealing. It's still really bad, but at least less bad.

I still don't understand why you think it's bad. If you socket in a damage support, you literally lose nothing. You gain more damage on single target, and maintain or exceed area damage with a mana cost lower than before.
IGN: TsuruyaNyro
Well, maybe he's comparing it against other ascendancy notables, which tend to be way over the top and go above and beyond just gem efficiency increases, like Assassin double crit chances, Slayer permaleech, Inquisitor ignore-res, etc.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
It's bad compared to other class ascendencies for sure, but I was actually referring to the other two slayer nodes, headsman and brutal fervor. how can i not take either of those? essentially grants immunity to bleed and stun (thats a free unwavering stance, without the drawback, and i dont need a bleeding flask?) and then jesus christ.. 50% reduced ref + more aoe + more dmg? I really tried to design a 2h build that utilized impact but its just so bad compared to the reave potentiality.
"
It's bad compared to other class ascendencies for sure, but I was actually referring to the other two slayer nodes, headsman and brutal fervor. how can i not take either of those? essentially grants immunity to bleed and stun (thats a free unwavering stance, without the drawback, and i dont need a bleeding flask?) and then jesus christ.. 50% reduced ref + more aoe + more dmg? I really tried to design a 2h build that utilized impact but its just so bad compared to the reave potentiality.

The drawback is that you need to be leeching, meaning you're not vaal pact or CI.
IGN: TsuruyaNyro
Basically, Impact is insane if you can actually use a support gem with a decent "more" damage multiplier, instead of Melee Splash.

Quick example :

Let's say you have acces to a 6L item.
With 5 used sockets (skill+supports), you deal 50K DPS on a single target.
And now, you're hesitating for the last socket.

1) You use 20/20 Melee Splash Support :
DPS on primary target : 50K
DPS on splash targets : 34.5K
*splash radius : 18.326

2) You take Impact, and use a support with 49% more damage instead :
DPS on primary target : 74.5K
DPS on splash targets : 37.25K
*splash radius : 16.8

* : assuming you have no external source of AOE increase, other than Melee Splash itself, or the mandatory points you need to get to Impact.

As you can see, if you're up to sacrifice a few AOE units, you'll deal better damage with Impact (again, assuming you have access to a worthy support gem to boost your DPS).

EDIT :

Of course, Melee Splash may still be good if you manage to find a decent more multi on another Ascendancy (like the Berserker, for example).
PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE EXPECTING A REPLY
Last edited by xhul on Jun 22, 2016, 10:39:20 PM
"
"

The drawback is that you need to be leeching, meaning you're not vaal pact or CI.

You dont need vaal pact if you have fort + 50% reduced reflect + 100% increased leech rate. And CI is jokes.
"
xhul wrote:
Basically, Impact is insane if you can actually use a support gem with a decent "more" damage multiplier, instead of Melee Splash.

Quick example :

Let's say you have acces to a 6L item.
With 5 used sockets (skill+supports), you deal 50K DPS on a single target.
And now, you're hesitating for the last socket.

1) You use 20/20 Melee Splash Support :
DPS on primary target : 50K
DPS on splash targets : 34.5K
*splash radius : 18.326

2) You take Impact, and use a support with 49% more damage instead :
DPS on primary target : 74.5K
DPS on splash targets : 37.25K
*splash radius : 16.8

* : assuming you have no external source of AOE increase, other than Melee Splash itself, or the mandatory points you need to get to Impact.

As you can see, if you're up to sacrifice a few AOE units, you'll deal better damage with Impact (again, assuming you have access to a worthy support gem to boost your DPS).

EDIT :

Of course, Melee Splash may still be good if you manage to find a decent more multi on another Ascendancy (like the Berserker, for example).

Or I could use reave and just have 75k dps to all targets
"
Or I could use reave and just have 75k dps to all targets

You can use whatever you want, dude.
However, i was comparing Impact and Melee Splash, not single target and AOE skills.
Make sure what you write has some form of relevance to the post you quote =]
PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE EXPECTING A REPLY

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info