Should I be a scammer?

A quote from the GM who responding to my complaint: "A player is unlikely to get a ban for scamming."

I lost approximately 14 ex in value (more than I've gained this entire league so far) because of a scammer who invited his friend to a trade group to go into my hideout and buy a Voll's Devotion from a Perandus in my instance. It happens far to fast to do anything about, and apparently you are unlikely to get banned for it.

I tried to play the game after getting scammed and it literally isn't fun any more, knowing that the terrible interface (i.e. lack of an auction house or any other of the many possible solutions to stuff like this) has cost me hours upon hours of farming currency. It makes every currency drop another source of annoyance and a reminder that the developers don't care enough about their unhappy customers.

Since the GMs refuse to ban scammers, do you guys think I should just create free accounts and scam people until I get my 14 ex back? It seems like the only solution that the GMs have given me.

Why am I asking this on the forums? Basically, there are a few possibilities from this post:

1. A GM bans my account for this post even though I haven't actually scammed anyone yet. In this case, the game has lost its appeal anyway from getting scammed and GGG has lost a paying customer. I was on the brink of quitting anyway, so the only loser here is GGG not getting any more of my money.

2. Someone at GGG that isn't a robot actually sees this and fixes the problem (Ha! Unlikely.)

3. Absolutely nothing happens. Scammers don't get banned, just like the GM said, and I create alt accounts to scam people until I get my currency back.

4. Enough people respond in outrage that scammers don't get banned and GGG starts doing something about it. This is ideal and everyone needs to reply to this post and tell GGG to start aggressively banning scammers.
Last bumped on Mar 27, 2016, 12:20:21 PM
Response in my original thread, giving me even more incentive to be a scammer:

"
GreenDude wrote:
hey NattyMcLight.

Unfortunately he didn't break any rules. Anti-scam measures are in place like such as forcing you to mouse-over items in the trade window to make sure your getting what you asked for.

But when it comes to sharing masters or trading Cadiro offers, they are not necessarily intended for people to trade and therefore there is not any real way to trade them safely. You must trade them at your own risk because they are not intended this way. The best thing to do is only make Cadiro trades when your okay with the possibility of something going wrong like a player taking your cadiro offer without paying you.

GGG needs to crack down on scammers. This is completely unacceptable.
Dude, you got scammed. So what.

Live it. Learn from it. Get on with it.

It's pretty simple. Just don't get scammed.
Why didn't you buy it then sell after if it was profitable.If you couldn't afford it then you have no choice to take a risk as it wouldn't of been yours anyway.Don't assume you can trust a stranger,there is always a risk factor.
"
NattyMcLight wrote:
Spoiler
A quote from the GM who responding to my complaint: "A player is unlikely to get a ban for scamming."

I lost approximately 14 ex in value (more than I've gained this entire league so far) because of a scammer who invited his friend to a trade group to go into my hideout and buy a Voll's Devotion from a Perandus in my instance. It happens far to fast to do anything about, and apparently you are unlikely to get banned for it.

I tried to play the game after getting scammed and it literally isn't fun any more, knowing that the terrible interface (i.e. lack of an auction house or any other of the many possible solutions to stuff like this) has cost me hours upon hours of farming currency. It makes every currency drop another source of annoyance and a reminder that the developers don't care enough about their unhappy customers.

Since the GMs refuse to ban scammers, do you guys think I should just create free accounts and scam people until I get my 14 ex back? It seems like the only solution that the GMs have given me.

Why am I asking this on the forums? Basically, there are a few possibilities from this post:

1. A GM bans my account for this post even though I haven't actually scammed anyone yet. In this case, the game has lost its appeal anyway from getting scammed and GGG has lost a paying customer. I was on the brink of quitting anyway, so the only loser here is GGG not getting any more of my money.

2. Someone at GGG that isn't a robot actually sees this and fixes the problem (Ha! Unlikely.)

3. Absolutely nothing happens. Scammers don't get banned, just like the GM said, and I create alt accounts to scam people until I get my currency back.

4. Enough people respond in outrage that scammers don't get banned and GGG starts doing something about it. This is ideal and everyone needs to reply to this post and tell GGG to start aggressively banning scammers.
Spoiler

1) I think scamming is despicable.
2) Is there a game mechanism that prevents the player with the Cadiro offer from buying the item themselves and then selling it to the player that wants the item?
3) if the answer to #2 is no, than a foolproof method to avoid getting scammed exists:

Buy the item from Cadiro and then offer it for sale.

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Wow. I was expecting people to want scammers to get banned. From the first few responses, it looks like it is the victims fault. So far, the people that have spoken have just encouraged me to be a scammer to make my money back.
"
Gary_GGG wrote:
Players can be and have been permanently banned from the game in the past for scamming.

But really it boils down to a bit of common sense on your end most of the time as YOU are given the tools to avoid scams for the most part.

Also yes we do want scammers banned, but almost always the means to stop a scam are YOU....just keep reporting them if you keep managing to get scammed, everyone should anyway
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Mar 24, 2016, 2:43:54 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Sorry if you were expecting outrage and rallying cries of How Dare GGG Allow This To Happen. I can't provide those because all I feel is a sort of sadness that some people need the GGGods to step in and deal with mortal affairs just because the GGGods made the world and make sure the world still turns.

Unfortunately, everyone that posts like you just did are supporting a system that allows scammers to operate with no repercussions. As I said in my original post, the best outcome was that everyone gets mad, GGG takes notice, and starts banning scammers.

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." -Martin Luther King, Jr.
"
NattyMcLight wrote:
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Sorry if you were expecting outrage and rallying cries of How Dare GGG Allow This To Happen. I can't provide those because all I feel is a sort of sadness that some people need the GGGods to step in and deal with mortal affairs just because the GGGods made the world and make sure the world still turns.

Unfortunately, everyone that posts like you just did are supporting a system that allows scammers to operate with no repercussions. As I said in my original post, the best outcome was that everyone gets mad, GGG takes notice, and starts banning scammers.

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetrate it. He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

GGG DO take nottice, since the trade system has went from, we both drop shit on the ground to trade(making it free for all)

Adding a trade window
Changing that trade window to ensure that YOU need to OK what is getting traded by mousing over it(and checking it)

But there is only so much they can do, any system the put in place can be worked around or worked with to scam people.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Last edited by lagwin1980 on Mar 24, 2016, 2:48:09 AM
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
"
Gary_GGG wrote:
Players can be and have been permanently banned from the game in the past for scamming.

The problem is that I've been told that this specific type of scam (i.e. going into someone's hideout and stealing their perandus while they try to get enough coins to buy it themselves) isn't actually a "scam" and you can't get banned from it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info