[HC Assassin] 2.6 Arc Miner build - Fast Clear + Very Low Budget!

"
easyBreeze wrote:
Noob questions: Doesn't controlled destruction cancel out all the crit we're getting in the passive tree?

Nope, it is reduced crit chance, which is subtracted from our total increased crit chance.

"
Lenni2000 wrote:
Would call of the Brotherhood work with that build ?

Yes you can use it, and you should freeze most mobs, although you given up the shocks on much tankiers mobs and bosses (up to you if you want the tradeoff)
Really nice Build you posted there, i am enjoying it quite alot.
I picked up the Volatile Mines node alot earlier then you described. Detonating mines without stopping gives you quite some safety, especially in that more fragile leveling gear :)

Been playing around with the single target setup last 2 days.
Atm i use a 4L Tremor Rod for that.
I tried the following setups.
1) Fireball, Mine Damage, Minefield, firepen
2) Fireball, Mine Damage, Minefield, controlled destruction
3) Ice Spear, Mine Damge, Minefield, controlled destruction
4) EK, Mine Damage, Minefield, Controlled destruction.

Atm i like 3 the Most, will swap the controlled destruction for a inc crit strikes and coldpen gem tomorrow to see if i can freeze bosses longer that way.

For Both Fireball and Icespear you need to take a bit more care for placement location, enemy movement and detonation times. Arc is so much of a no brainer in that case ... :)
Not been around for the past few days, so can finally get back to it. Thanks for looking at some of the single target options Necrol, I have been using Ice Spear so far but I am not sold on it at all due to the pretty specific mine placement you need for it. How was EK out of curiosity in comparison? In the end I may just go back to bladefall but I need to get a 5l on my weapon swap first.

Additionally, have people been noticing it has been much harder to keep up power charges now? In particular I never seem to be able to get more than 1 power charge per detonate (although the chance should be per mine), which I definitely used to do.

I have created a thread on the bug forum about it (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1727511) so it would be great to get that bumped if you guys are also having the problem.
I only briefly played around with EK tbh, got another tremor shortly after and was low on chromatics. Socket colours rolled good for Ice spear and i went back to that.

The mine placement for Ice Spear (or Fireball) is not that complicated. You have to either wait until the boss stands still before you detonate a mine or you place the mine between you and the boss and detonates once he moves straight for you. Needs a few fights to get used to that, but after that its no big deal. The build is alot about movement :)
Once you face a boss with whatever adds you are better of with arc anyway. The Arc has a good chance to jump between the mobs, destroys trash etc. Targetting with Ice Spear in those Situation is often enough risky as you need to place the mines close to the desired target -> arc!

Will get back to EK when i start Working on a 5L or 6L rod. Atm i run 2 4 links.

Edit: As for the Powercharges, getting them is tedious at times, yes. But with the high duration we they usually last most of the map anyway.
Last edited by Necrol on Sep 9, 2016, 11:09:36 AM
Hi,

I am very interested in doing an arc miner but I can't choose between Inquisitor and Assassin... But I remarked something interesting in your tree, it would be the exact same one for an inquisitor (take the inquisitor spell damage nodes instead of the shadow elemental nodes), now the question comes down to what each ascendancy brings right?

I feel that the assassin is pretty much "overkill" on some aspects (like the 100% more crit chance of ambush and assassinate when you already likely got 75%), while the inquisitor brings interesting QoL features.
Some thoughts:
+ Inevitable Judgement. Frees up the penetration gem (then opens up for the CotB ring if you want), probably at the cost of Inc crit strikes gem in exchange.=> you lose damage against poorly resistant trash, and get better damage against highly resistant bosses. You also win on mapmods (hello Equilibrium, lightning resist)
+ Either Pious Path (generally a bad node, but because we go MoM and miners are more static than some other classes... basically if you pop a sulphur flask or get hit you have some extra damage, immunity to status ailments which is kinda huge, and 4% life/mana/ES regen which is a nice boon to MoM), or Augury/Instrument of Virtue for more damage (and maybe leap slam + fortify + FA instead of lightning warp?)
- even with inc crit gem you don't make up to the Assassin's crit, and also cannot compare in crit multi (though the ascendancy brings a bit of both). A diamond flask really shines here though, even though the flasks slots are expensive.
- assassinate is great on Izaro/Atziri, assassin is also less flask dependant so more consistent on bosses with phases in general.

What do you think ? I feel that Inquisitor patches a bit of the weaknesses of the build (CotB for porcupines without losing a bit of damage due to penetrating all elemental damage, some extra regen from Pious Path) while still being consistent on its strengths.

Also on a totally different note, what about dropping the top-left part of the tree and go for the scion life nodes? You lose on a power charge and a few crit nodes, but you get 29% more life from the tree + 2 jewels slots (so virtually 43% life):
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBAQQHBLMFQgceCNQI9AthDkgOjhCSES0RlhHCHNwgbiM2I18mlSoLLJwtHzIYMjIy0TWSOlg64TwtQZZFR0V8RZ1HBklRTLNN41AwUxBTMVNSVUtVxl3yXyph4mKsY0NknWjyakNrF2wIbIxwUXBSc212b3xLfIN-WX6wf8aDX4PMg9uFMonTjDaPGo_6lSCVLpZ0l5ea4J2qndmgQ6IAoqOmV66zr2yzA7Q4tMW3Prd1vG-86sBUwGbBxcHzxq7QH9DQ0PXYVNi92YbbXtvn5Rnr5Ovu6_XuFe_r8B_w1fD58YryHfJF8uH79f4K_o8=
Unstable Infusion (Assassin Ascendancy) isn't working with my Arc mines. I haven't gotten Blast Cascade yet and I haven't seen a single power charge on my character.

Did I miss something or is it supposed to be like that? This could be why you're having trouble with power charges?
Last edited by Chunq on Sep 9, 2016, 1:34:04 PM
"
Necrol wrote:
I only briefly played around with EK tbh, got another tremor shortly after and was low on chromatics. Socket colours rolled good for Ice spear and i went back to that.

The mine placement for Ice Spear (or Fireball) is not that complicated. You have to either wait until the boss stands still before you detonate a mine or you place the mine between you and the boss and detonates once he moves straight for you. Needs a few fights to get used to that, but after that its no big deal. The build is alot about movement :)
Once you face a boss with whatever adds you are better of with arc anyway. The Arc has a good chance to jump between the mobs, destroys trash etc. Targetting with Ice Spear in those Situation is often enough risky as you need to place the mines close to the desired target -> arc!

Will get back to EK when i start Working on a 5L or 6L rod. Atm i run 2 4 links.

Edit: As for the Powercharges, getting them is tedious at times, yes. But with the high duration we they usually last most of the map anyway.

I would appreciate hearing back when you get around to looking at EK again if I haven't done so by then. And by awkward placement, I more meant for ice spear specifically to keep the distance long enough to get the bonus crit chance. It is not necessarily hard, but certainly cuts down on the times where you may want to use Ice Spear.

As for the Power Charges, my point was that something has certainly changed. Compare how quickly you gain power charges now to in my videos recorded last league. You will notice that last league I often would get 2 and sometimes 3 power charges per detonate (as the chance should be per mine), although now we can only ever seem to get 1 power charge per detonate (irrelevant of the number of mines that detonate).

"
Ningishzida wrote:
Spoiler
Hi,

I am very interested in doing an arc miner but I can't choose between Inquisitor and Assassin... But I remarked something interesting in your tree, it would be the exact same one for an inquisitor (take the inquisitor spell damage nodes instead of the shadow elemental nodes), now the question comes down to what each ascendancy brings right?

I feel that the assassin is pretty much "overkill" on some aspects (like the 100% more crit chance of ambush and assassinate when you already likely got 75%), while the inquisitor brings interesting QoL features.
Some thoughts:
+ Inevitable Judgement. Frees up the penetration gem (then opens up for the CotB ring if you want), probably at the cost of Inc crit strikes gem in exchange.=> you lose damage against poorly resistant trash, and get better damage against highly resistant bosses. You also win on mapmods (hello Equilibrium, lightning resist)
+ Either Pious Path (generally a bad node, but because we go MoM and miners are more static than some other classes... basically if you pop a sulphur flask or get hit you have some extra damage, immunity to status ailments which is kinda huge, and 4% life/mana/ES regen which is a nice boon to MoM), or Augury/Instrument of Virtue for more damage (and maybe leap slam + fortify + FA instead of lightning warp?)
- even with inc crit gem you don't make up to the Assassin's crit, and also cannot compare in crit multi (though the ascendancy brings a bit of both). A diamond flask really shines here though, even though the flasks slots are expensive.
- assassinate is great on Izaro/Atziri, assassin is also less flask dependant so more consistent on bosses with phases in general.

What do you think ? I feel that Inquisitor patches a bit of the weaknesses of the build (CotB for porcupines without losing a bit of damage due to penetrating all elemental damage, some extra regen from Pious Path) while still being consistent on its strengths.

Also on a totally different note, what about dropping the top-left part of the tree and go for the scion life nodes? You lose on a power charge and a few crit nodes, but you get 29% more life from the tree + 2 jewels slots (so virtually 43% life):
Spoiler
https://www.pathofexile.com/fullscreen-passive-skill-tree/AAAABAYBAQQHBLMFQgceCNQI9AthDkgOjhCSES0RlhHCHNwgbiM2I18mlSoLLJwtHzIYMjIy0TWSOlg64TwtQZZFR0V8RZ1HBklRTLNN41AwUxBTMVNSVUtVxl3yXyph4mKsY0NknWjyakNrF2wIbIxwUXBSc212b3xLfIN-WX6wf8aDX4PMg9uFMonTjDaPGo_6lSCVLpZ0l5ea4J2qndmgQ6IAoqOmV66zr2yzA7Q4tMW3Prd1vG-86sBUwGbBxcHzxq7QH9DQ0PXYVNi92YbbXtvn5Rnr5Ovu6_XuFe_r8B_w1fD58YryHfJF8uH79f4K_o8=

I certainly did consider using Inquisitor for this build, but to be honest it doesn't synergise so well with mines overall to be honest. In particular, we will lose a lot of damage on most mobs, and gain a small amount of damage on high resist mobs with Inevitable Judgement (assuming the base damage between the classes is even the same). This is because the high amount of elemental penetration that is possible on mines (e.g. the gem + the 10% node + the boot enchant brings mobs down to ~15% resists if they are capped, and to ~-60% if they had 0. Honestly I don't even notice the resistance map mods with this amount of penetration :) Ignoring resistance is not always a benefit remember!

On top of this, if we replaced the penetration gem with increased crit strikes, we would still be hovering at roughly 55% crit I think, with less crit multi. If we then combined this with the other damage options from inquisitor, it would still unfortunately come out quite short in comparison to assassin (although still viable).

In terms of quality of life Pious Path would actually be pretty interesting to play around with, although to be honest I don't think we would see all that much use out of it. The main defences of the build are to simply not get hit, and so we would rarely create consecrated ground naturally. As you mentioned, we could use the potion, which would give a hefty damage bonus temporarily, but I am not sure if dropping any of the other flasks would be possible (especially if you wish to use a diamond flask too to make up for lost crit). Perhaps you could drop your quicksilver, but who wants to do that! :D This would definitely be the main benefit from inquisitor though.

Also a minor statement with regard to CotB - the main drawback of this is not lost overall damage, it is lost lightning damage for shocks on bosses. No matter which ascendancy uses this, you should have enough damage to freeze all packs of porcupines even in full resist maps.

Your idea to get extra health is quite nice (when I was trying to get the life wheel/square/pizza I would usually cut out everything in templar and end up with not a huge amount of benefit. Using your tree would be nice for someone that doesn't mind dropping a pretty large amount of damage in favour of quite a bit more survivability. Keep in mind it isnt just the power charge you will drop, it is all of the really big crit nodes at the top (the staff one is the best on the tree imo)! So again, this would be down to personal preference, I would estimate maybe a 30% damage loss, maybe a bit more, from going this way, even accounting for the extra jewels.

Thanks very much for the feedback though! I am always looking to improve the build, it has just got to a stage where things are in quite a delicate balance now :)

"
Chunq wrote:
Unstable Infusion (Assassin Ascendancy) isn't working with my Arc mines. I haven't gotten Blast Cascade yet and I haven't seen a single power charge on my character.

Did I miss something or is it supposed to be like that? This could be why you're having trouble with power charges?

Yeah I am aware Unstable Infusion does not work with mines (it is not supposed to). As I mentioned in response to Necrol, the issue is that power charges seem to be awarded from blast cascade by detonate, not by the number of mines as described in the tooltip (and this is how it worked before 2.4 too).
yep something is wrong with power charges..one can kill bunch of monsters and get 0-1 charges.

I will wait to skill my charges and go for my jeweles first now.

unstable fusion never worked with mines or what ?
"
DiamondSnake wrote:
yep something is wrong with power charges..one can kill bunch of monsters and get 0-1 charges.

I will wait to skill my charges and go for my jeweles first now.

unstable fusion never worked with mines or what ?

No, unstable fusion only works when you hit things, not your mines. The best you can hope for is to get a charge from your movement skill when it hits something :)
I'm at 63 with my 2nd ascendancy now and about to get into the meat of the build, if not already there. It feels pretty damn good, but I do notice the thing with the power charges. You're saying that I should have full 5+ charges after a single pack? There's mostly no problem with charges when I'm rolling along but there are a couple of gaps.

I don't suppose there's a command to drop mines at my feet on the spot? Moving the mouse cursor back to my feet every time is fine but if there's an easier and faster way I'd like to know.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info