SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS (or rework the lab) [New ascension methods/lab rework ideas]

"
So, I suppose one must do the repulsive NON-optional thing to reach the optional points. lol

The thing with games nowadays is that they don't really have a clear finish line. When you played Super Mario you had the flag pole jumped in and you won. Nowadays most games give people things to do after finishing it. Technically after killing Malachai you have won Path of Exile, the rest is essentially long time motivation to keep players in the game.

The thing is all those things are mainly meant to power up your character and do additional content with that power. A lot of players though mainly play for those endgame parts, so leveling up a character is annoying for them in general, the lab is just a small part of that.
"
Emphasy wrote:
"
So, I suppose one must do the repulsive NON-optional thing to reach the optional points. lol

The thing with games nowadays is that they don't really have a clear finish line. When you played Super Mario you had the flag pole jumped in and you won. Nowadays most games give people things to do after finishing it. Technically after killing Malachai you have won Path of Exile, the rest is essentially long time motivation to keep players in the game.

The thing is all those things are mainly meant to power up your character and do additional content with that power. A lot of players though mainly play for those endgame parts, so leveling up a character is annoying for them in general, the lab is just a small part of that.

If the level of character customization and development were available by other means than EXCLUSIVELY via lab+trials, I'd agree with you.
"
Regulator wrote:

Furthermore comparing it to the rest of the game and its mandatory nature (like someone previously mentioned lets have free or alternative progression till merciless) while in theory might seem the correct thing to do it actually is not. Why is that? Cause the rest of the game is from 1lvl to 100 the same, ARPG, the labyrinth is not, its a totally different kind of game inside an ARPG. And that would be great indeed if this new gameplay didnt actually GATE character progression with its alienating nature.

It perfectly fits the definition of "Action role playing game".
But you know what ? That isn't relevant in the slightest, it matters absolutely not what people consider PoE like in term of game classification, PoE is PoE, period.

And the lab is now a part of PoE, that's all there is to it.

Btw, you speaking of tunnel vision is very ironic, just saying.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Shovelcut wrote:
They are optional as to when you get them, ...

That by definition is "optional".

No, it isn't.
Wash your hands, Exile!
"
Fruz wrote:
"
Regulator wrote:

Furthermore comparing it to the rest of the game and its mandatory nature (like someone previously mentioned lets have free or alternative progression till merciless) while in theory might seem the correct thing to do it actually is not. Why is that? Cause the rest of the game is from 1lvl to 100 the same, ARPG, the labyrinth is not, its a totally different kind of game inside an ARPG. And that would be great indeed if this new gameplay didnt actually GATE character progression with its alienating nature.

It perfectly fits the definition of "Action role playing game".
But you know what ? That isn't relevant in the slightest, it matters absolutely not what people consider PoE like in term of game classification, PoE is PoE, period.

And the lab is now a part of PoE, that's all there is to it.

Btw, you speaking of tunnel vision is very ironic, just saying.

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one as well. Regulator is absolutely correct. This has to do with personal perspective. Labyrinth is nothing like an ARPG. It is horrible crap trap play. This is even worse than just crap trap play that I'd see if I was playing on a controller. At least with a controller you have more reasonable control of where the character is going.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
Turtledove wrote:
"
someone who does not understand rules has removed my words, where I proved that what I wrote was not off topic

sad but true

Sorry Moshe that you feel that you have been "wronged" somehow. If GGG moderators have removed your words then it means that your post violated the rules.

like.. eehm.. just no?

if i were to respond to this idea properly, i would be giving GGG moderators cause for punishment.
"
gibbousmoon wrote:
"
Shovelcut wrote:
They are optional as to when you get them, ...

That by definition is "optional".

No, it isn't.

Uh huh!

"
optional: available as a choice but not required

As in, not required to complete any of the core content. There to choose when you want. If you're playing a build that absolutely cannot progress without the points, you're forcing yourself to play a stringent playstyle. That's on you not the game. Damn near any build can be tweaked to work without the points to complete the core portion of the game.

So it basically boils down to "I don't like ascending and I'm not clever enough to figure out how to get by without the ascendancy points therefore the game is broken and needs to be fixed".

And regardless of how much you guys assert how different it is from an ARPG, it's really not. It's still more of an ARPG than anything else. You can sit there and scream "it's not an arpg!!!!" all you want, but I'm sorry to tell you that it doesn't make it true.

"
Turtledove wrote:
At least with a controller you have more reasonable control of where the character is going.

If that's your issue, it really is a l2p issue on your part. Controls are just fine how they are. I can honestly say that because of the laby my control over my character has improved to a point that is felt well beyond the laby and I'm now able to do content I wasn't able to do before. I wish you guys could see the value in that and find it for yourselves.

But seeing as it's been over 7 months now... Deaf ears, tunnel vision and all that...

Meh, it doesn't matter in the end if the changes to Vorici missions are any sign of the future direction of the game. You'll likely get what you want making the game even more casual while at the same time watering down any of the actual challenge the game has left.
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
"
Turtledove wrote:

We are going to have to agree to disagree on this one as well. Regulator is absolutely correct. This has to do with personal perspective. Labyrinth is nothing like an ARPG. It is horrible crap trap play. This is even worse than just crap trap play that I'd see if I was playing on a controller. At least with a controller you have more reasonable control of where the character is going.

So this statement alone proves how wrong you are keyboard+mouse is far superior control then a controller ever can give you.
https://youtu.be/T9kygXtkh10?t=285

FeelsBadMan

Remove MF from POE, make juiced map the new MF.
-get ride of poison+slow effect.

I don t mind the cat and mouse play with those poison darts, but adding the slow effect to them once you get hit is really a slut move.

-Cannot bleed from death door... make it a merciless drop or give us keystone for it.
It would ease people life a lot if they could swap those shoes when doing the lab. Sadly those boots are uber and cost 5 ex.

Poe Pvp experience
https://youtu.be/Z6eg3aB_V1g?t=302
@ Shovelcut

"
Meh, it doesn't matter in the end if the changes to Vorici missions are any sign of the future direction of the game. You'll likely get what you want making the game even more casual while at the same time watering down any of the actual challenge the game has left.

So, you find the Lab challenging ?

Can you give me Details what exactly is challenging for you in the Lab ? The Traps ? Izzaro ? Deadends? That you can´t portal out ? Something else ?

I´m really curious.
Last edited by Shredzilly on Nov 13, 2016, 5:48:35 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info