SET FREE THE ASCENDANCY POINTS (or rework the lab) [New ascension methods/lab rework ideas]

"
Kellog wrote:
[...] which is completely meaningless in the current context. Moreover, just because some past addition/fix whatever took 'x' amount of time, is in no way indicative of how long 'y' may take now.
[...]
On that note, the thread has gone completely off topic with this nonsense, so unless you have any real facts to present, it's probably better to refrain from beating this particularly dead horse any longer.

Meaningless to you, fine.
It is partly indicative actually.
As I said earlier, creating league can be just an instanciation.
reworking areas and adding new puzzles is not, otherwise it would already be in the game, I don't see GGG spending time developping content not to release it.

Even another person with whom I disagreed alot on this topic understands it.

And no, it's not completely off topic, it impact directly how likely or not they could be willing to implement some changes, and how much players would want it too.
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
"
Fruz wrote:
"
Kellog wrote:
[...] which is completely meaningless in the current context. Moreover, just because some past addition/fix whatever took 'x' amount of time, is in no way indicative of how long 'y' may take now.
[...]
On that note, the thread has gone completely off topic with this nonsense, so unless you have any real facts to present, it's probably better to refrain from beating this particularly dead horse any longer.

Meaningless to you, fine.
It is partly indicative actually.
As I said earlier, creating league can be just an instanciation.
reworking areas and adding new puzzles is not, otherwise it would already be in the game, I don't see GGG spending time developping content not to release it.

Even another person with whom I disagreed alot on this topic understands it.

And no, it's not completely off topic, it impact directly how likely or not they could be willing to implement some changes, and how much players would want it too.

Sorry, I've missed the point, I guess. Yes some potential solutions listed in the OP may take a relative long time to implement compared to other potential solutions. I don't see the relevance of creating a new league (which in and of itself should be cheap to implement) to any of the potential solutions? GGG has the best people to evaluate the options in the OP as well as their own ideas for trying to resolve the problem of making ascendancy points available without having to go through the bad trap gameplay.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
The new league thing was just an element that Kellog used, to imply that it was impossible to have any clue on what amount of time GGG would require for any suggestion ( apparently some people made the assumptions that creating new leagues would require some significant amount of dev time, which was proven wrong by some GGG members, no surprise there I think ).
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Jul 18, 2016, 7:17:31 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
The new league thing was just an element that Kellog used, to imply that it was impossible to have any clue on what amount of time GGG would require for any suggestion ( apparently some people made the assumptions that creating new leagues would require some significant amount of dev time, which was proven wrong by some GGG members, no surprise there I think ).

Okay, thanks. I know that you tried to explain it once. I'll try to do it as well.

The reason that creating a new leagues shouldn't be a whole lot of effort is that there shouldn't be many changes required to the code. PoE is made of 2 basic pieces, the client code and the server code. Built into this code already is the ability to have multiple simultaneous leagues. This is known because multiple leagues are already supported in the game. The obvious effort required would be to add the new league to the beginning screen where you choose your league and then creating that league instance on the servers so that the client would know where to go.

Trying to evaluate the different potential solutions in the OP is a more difficult task because to do a good job one would have to be more familiar with the server and client code, more specifically the design that the code is based on. Only GGG has that kind of knowledge.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Last edited by Turtledove on Jul 18, 2016, 7:39:31 AM
"
Turtledove wrote:

Trying to evaluate the different potential solutions in the OP is a more difficult task because to do a good job one would have to be more familiar with the server and client code, more specifically the design that the code is based on. Only GGG has that kind of knowledge.

Agree, having a precise idea for us would be impossible.
However, I am convinced that some of the solution would not be trivial development wise, and thus would need a significant investment from GGG, this was my original statement, that I maintain.

Now, I will never get to an agreement with Kellog about this anyway, so I guess the "discussion" with him about this point is better off over, we both have different point of views.
Last edited by Fruz on Jul 18, 2016, 7:35:25 AM
"
Turtledove wrote:
"
Fruz wrote:

Okay, thanks. I know that you tried to explain it once. I'll try to do it as well.

The reason that creating a new leagues shouldn't be a whole lot of effort is that there shouldn't be many changes required to the code. PoE is made of 2 basic pieces, the client code and the server code. Built into this code already is the ability to have multiple simultaneous leagues. This is known because multiple leagues are already supported in the game. The obvious effort required would be to add the new league to the beginning screen where you choose your league and then creating that league instance on the servers so that the client would know where to go.

Just to clarify. back in the day, there was a thread regarding the creation of a self-found league. it ran to several hundred pages, just as this topic has. In that thread, the opponents favorite argument was that GGG shouldn't consider catering to the whims of the 'minority' because it would take developers away from more important tasks. They also suggested that creating such a league would take too much development effort. Much more recently, it came to light, that GGG can create leagues very easily and without much effort at all.

I used this in my discussion with Fruz to try and illustrate a point. The point being, we simply don't know what GGG has in place, what they can or cannot do easily or what may take considerable man hours and expense. So, to sit here pontificating over something that is completely unknown is quite foolish.

AS far as I'm concerned, this thread is about presenting alternatives to the current regime. Whether or not GGG take the suggestions on board, is completely out of our hands. However, attempting to guess what they may or may not be able to and how long it may or may not take is a fruitless exercise.

Chris_GGG basically said it takes almost no effort to create a custom league. That's not why they aren't doing it.

https://youtu.be/Vwi6U7MojDQ?t=56m12s
Tired of trolls? Ignore them.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1473168
"
Albinosaurus wrote:
Chris_GGG basically said it takes almost no effort to create a custom league. That's not why they aren't doing it.

Thank you for saying something that has just been said three times in a row with everyone agreeing on it, somebody could have missed it.
"
Albinosaurus wrote:

It's ridiculous that we don't have paid leagues yet. Even more so after watching that clip.

* Free the Ascendancies! *
Nice that this topic is still active. Keep it alive boys, until they fix the problem.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info