Pohx's 2.2 Ice Trapper. HC/SC/Atziri/High Maps

What would be a nice unique chest piece for this build? i was thinking about carcass jack, but im not sure to be honest.
Thanks;)
Also, loving that build!
Last edited by bosmano775 on Mar 10, 2016, 5:20:10 PM
I was tired of EO so i switched to Elemental equilibrium and a fire trap + cluster + increased aoe setup, amazing results so far. I throw fire first and ice after, rinse and repeat to switch the mobs resistances as you wish.

Gameplay is much more fluid for me now
"
Nexi wrote:

I'm also having a bit of an issue keeping my frenzy stacks up all the time. I can keep them up the majority of the time, but once in a while frenzy just doesn't proc and I lose them. A bit too often to be comfortable.

The damage output is amazing, but dealing with mines/orb of storms/frenzy generation are all things I've found I just dont want to do. Too much work for too little gain.

I had this same issue when I played a crit trapper last league and keeping power charges up.

It's better with frenzy charges, since it's just flat damage. But with crit you really want to have the charges up to keep critting. For this build I figure I'll stay at the default frenzy charges and just some of the time have an up to +12% flat bonus when they're up, and no big deal when they're not. I took a point from merc bandits and my view is that the points will be much better spent on jewel and other (maybe spell or ele dmg) slots than on frenzy charge slots.

"
Kelthien wrote:
Hitting the mid 60's with this build and enjoying it!

One question I have: What's your survivability like?

I've got around 2.8k life and working on hitting some more +life nodes. What's a good range to aim for with this build? I'm finding myself pretty durable with Acrobatics and my current health pool, but a hard-hitting spell-based mob will sometimes drop me down in to emergency mode in one hit.

You need way more life, prioritize life nodes over damage if you're in merciless. Also of course make sure your resists are capped. Part of the benefit of trapper builds is the playstyle, you don't have to be near stuff to deal damage and you can move constantly. Acro + phase acro + evasion helps a lot too. It definitely hurts when you get hit, but the key is to not get hit.

"
nicrnicr17 wrote:
I have been using Hypothermia instead of cold pen. I don't really think cold pen compares unless you are running +xx% cold resistant maps etc. I think it should be your 4L, not your optional 6th link. My 2 cents.

I'm really curious why you would do this. High ele pen is one of the best things you can get for ele dmg (in most cases). There's no negative limit to how far you can lower a mobs resistances, and in higher level mobs they will frequently have a positive resistance, so anything you can knock off of that is significantly more damage. The only time it's not beneficial is if they're so overcapped that you don't have enough penetration to lower the overcap to less than their 75 max. The only times this would happen is if a mob has inherent resists + an aura from itself or another mob. Per a GGG dev, no mob has inherently overcapped resists.
Last edited by zoinkjr on Mar 10, 2016, 7:57:38 PM
"
nicrnicr17 wrote:
I have been using Hypothermia instead of cold pen. I don't really think cold pen compares unless you are running +xx% cold resistant maps etc. I think it should be your 4L, not your optional 6th link. My 2 cents.

I don't think you understand how penetration works.
"
zoinkjr wrote:

The only time it's not beneficial is if they're so overcapped that you don't have enough penetration to lower the overcap to less than their 75 max.

This is not actually a factor with penetration. For -resist like the curses, overcap matters, but penetration lowers the mobs max resist by the penetration value, so you always get full effectiveness for penetration. Because of this, elemental penetration is always better then an equal value of more damage. Not that you were arguing against penetration, I just wanted to make sure to clarify about the cap issue.
Last edited by vysirez on Mar 11, 2016, 12:14:43 AM
"
sikker wrote:
I am playing the old poison bladefall build. It doesn't have any smoke mines, and I was wondering IF I should start using smoke mines, and if so WHAT I should dump for it (seems like there really only is wither totem).
And if I sacrifice something, should I use the smoke mines with a minefield or CWDT with Detonate Mines?

How much increased area effect does the mines give and does it make a great difference?

No idea? Or has this already been answered somewhere and I missed it?
"
sikker wrote:
"
sikker wrote:
I am playing the old poison bladefall build. It doesn't have any smoke mines, and I was wondering IF I should start using smoke mines, and if so WHAT I should dump for it (seems like there really only is wither totem).
And if I sacrifice something, should I use the smoke mines with a minefield or CWDT with Detonate Mines?

How much increased area effect does the mines give and does it make a great difference?

No idea? Or has this already been answered somewhere and I missed it?

I can't say what you would drop, but the mines give 4% increased AE per mine active. You don't detonate them, you just put them out and leave them in place to get the buff. You use minefield so you can put out 3 at a time, giving 12% increased AE per cast, for 16 seconds, though I also think there is a range limit on the mines, not 100% sure on that.
"
vysirez wrote:

I can't say what you would drop, but the mines give 4% increased AE per mine active. You don't detonate them, you just put them out and leave them in place to get the buff. You use minefield so you can put out 3 at a time, giving 12% increased AE per cast, for 16 seconds, though I also think there is a range limit on the mines, not 100% sure on that.

Thanks for the reply. I'll admit I already knew what you told me, but I though there had to be something I missed. I can't see why it would be worth it to spend time throwing mines you won't use, just to get 12%, or even 24% if you use more time, increased area. Clustermine cover plenty area, and I'd rather spend my time casting a new set of traps.
Now, Pohx knows what he is doing, and that is why I am pretty sure I am missing something.
- Lvl76 with 4k4 life here.
- I felt a bit squishy while leveling.
- Cannot use enfeeble yet because of mana problems.
- I use Arctic Armor for the moment and i have no problem running Tier 7 maps without dying.

I dunno about Enfeeble effectiveness yet but Arctic Armor helps a lot for me with survivability.

PS : Thank you Pohx for this awesome cheap build !
Ideal weapon, uniques, or rare with which stats?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info