[2.2 Avatar of Fire Chieftan] Earthquake/Sunder

So after looking at the new ascendancy classes, testing some builds out on standard.. I decided to just come up with my own build. I've only ever made one other build a long time ago, some random.. ele cleaver with dual dyadus.. It didn't really pan out that well.

Anyway, I was looking around and most people doing Chieftan are leaning towards totems. Which makes sense, but I'm not a fan of totems, it doesn't feel like I'm really doing anything, so I figured I'd give melee chieftan a shot.

I remember using avatar of fire waaaaay back in the beta with a ground slam templar, and it was like the first build I'd ever done and it was awesome! Ever since then I haven't seen much use of Avatar of Fire really anywhere, and I'm not entirely sure. Is it not worth it or something?

Well whatever the case.. heres the build

Spoiler
http://poedb.tw/us/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwEBAdwB5wN1BS0FZgYOCfYSaRQgFE0WbxccGGUYkRo4Gmwb-h0UITQkqiXfJy8n7TGeMgk1kjbpOuE7Oz38QT9DMUd-TP9N41BHUeZVtVhjWHdZ818EXz9lTWaeZ5tsRnF5cYVyD3Jscql07Xasd1N343gNeHp5aHrvfNmE2YTvjM-QVZErna6exZ7Nn8ukGaZXpzCpJ6luqZSsqq2Nrj6vjbFCtC-18rYsvJ-9Nr6nwBrBBMT2xq7G2M9-1HzWWNi92sHgn-Nq5FHqGO8O8kXzEfZI9zL60vxL_gr-jw==

Now my main idea was to use the new Earthquake skill paired with chance to ignite and some other supports, and either blow them up or have them burn to death afterwards. Since I've grabbed Resolute Technique (missing with earthquake would really not be ok) I have to grab my ignite chance somewhere other than crits. With the Chieftan node (15%) a chance to ignite gem (30% at level 1, only goes up) and nodes from the skill tree (10%) Thats 55% chance to ignite on every fire attack. And since I've grabbed Avatar of Fire, I deal no Non-fire damage, so every Earthquake (or sunder) should be able to ignite 55% of the time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, I'm looking for improvements/tips/plain old you're wrong kiddo here.

Well thats my idea, like I said all criticism is welcome. Let me know what I've done wrong and what I should change.

EDIT: I guess I should list some of the stats from the tree+Chieftan nodes

So with the current build 90% of your physical damage should be converted to fire damage
50% from Avatar of Fire
20% from Herald of Ash
and another 20% from the Chieftan Node but only after a kill (Though it is different wording, not entirely sure how it works "Gain 20% of physical damage as EXTRA fire damage if you've killed recently) so maybe I'm wrong

As I said before you should be getting 55% total chance to ignite with every Earthquake with a level 1 Chance to Ignite gem

I'm not entirely sure how my mana will be, I did grab some mana leech nodes near the duelist, and the Chieftan nodes give 10% reduced Mana Cost of skills, so that should help as well. Might be forced to use a blood magic gem, but I really do need to test it.

Theres about 180-200% Maximum health, another 80-120% increased Armor, as this is a pure armor based build

Around 180% Physical damage (90% being converted to Fire)

And finally, 125% increased Fire damage, 105% increased Burning Damage (Could even toy around with an increased Burning Damage gem to see if its worth and that would make it 145%+ Burning Damage)

Also like 10% increased radius of skills, which is nice for Earthquake I suppose.
Last edited by Nidion on Mar 2, 2016, 9:03:58 PM
Last bumped on Jun 22, 2016, 2:27:20 PM
What's your bandit plan?
Normal I'd think the point but Cruel has the option for 8% attack speed or 16% phys dmg.
I've been using Earthquake a little and I think attack speed is going to be important. With less duration, the strategy seems to be crank out as many after pulses as possible. It doesn't work with multistrike, though that would be neat.

What do you think?
TBH im playing already with that build, i had same idea when i only saw chef :D actually buffed 25k dps tooltip form EQ, playing w/o avatar at this moment but we will see in future. Im going to make guide about this build, cause its pretty op. At 69lv i was able to one shot all magic moobs form t5, rares 2shot. Molten shell leech makes me able to afk in moobs (really), got 5 endurances and will aim for more. Auras and buffs : Ofc hearld of ash+ arctic armour + (blasphemy with warlords mark), got tons of hp nodes (4.2k hp with no hp gear at all, and will be more). Clearing, dps, sustain its just insane :)
you kinda got it wrong a little bit.

Avatar of Fire will convert 50% of your phys damage to Fire dmg.
Nothing else in this build will convert anything.

Herald of Ash doesn't convert any damage sources as well as the Chieftain nodes don't.

You got 100% Phys Damage. e.g. (1k phys)
Avatar of Fire kicks in converting 50% of your phys damage to fire damage,
so ur at 50% fire 50% phys 500 each.

and you gain 20% of your phys damage extra as fire damage from ur herald.
not sure when the conversion exactly kicks in but i do believe u will gain 20% of ur original 100% phys damage before the conversion,

so you'd get another 200 fire damage on top. and then if u kill stuff obviously the same will happen with the chieftain stuff. 20% of ur phys again as extra fire.

so in essence, u only converted 50% of ur phys damage to fire, always pay attention to the wording. It has to say "convert" at least.

and damage conversion means you can "double dip".
so technically even if you'd find a way to convert 100% of your phys damage, you would be able to skill both fire and physical damage nodes on the tree to increase your damage.

but you would only take avatar of fire to effectively convert something close to a 100% of your main damage source to fire, or else grabbing fire nodes will not make a lot of sense as phys damage will still scale far better.

EDIT:
Another example

Use the "Cold to Fire" Gem + Avatar of Fire to convert 100% of your cold damage to fire.
This will easily increase ur dps by a lot if u effectively use it, because cold to fire not only converts 50% of your cold damage to fire but also gives u a damage increase on top of that.

meaning you could take advantage of the "Snowforged" node in the tree, granting 25% cold and 25% fire damage, but with a 100% damage conversion it will effectively give u 50% increased damage.
Last edited by emptysys on Mar 16, 2016, 11:52:52 AM
"
emptysys wrote:
you kinda got it wrong a little bit.

Avatar of Fire will convert 50% of your phys damage to Fire dmg.
Nothing else in this build will convert anything.

Herald of Ash doesn't convert any damage sources as well as the Chieftain nodes don't.

You got 100% Phys Damage. e.g. (1k phys)
Avatar of Fire kicks in converting 50% of your phys damage to fire damage,
so ur at 50% fire 50% phys 500 each.

and you gain 20% of your phys damage extra as fire damage from ur herald.
not sure when the conversion exactly kicks in but i do believe u will gain 20% of ur original 100% phys damage before the conversion,

so you'd get another 200 fire damage on top. and then if u kill stuff obviously the same will happen with the chieftain stuff. 20% of ur phys again as extra fire.

so in essence, u only converted 50% of ur phys damage to fire, always pay attention to the wording. It has to say "convert" at least.

and damage conversion means you can "double dip".
so technically even if you'd find a way to convert 100% of your phys damage, you would be able to skill both fire and physical damage nodes on the tree to increase your damage.

but you would only take avatar of fire to effectively convert something close to a 100% of your main damage source to fire, or else grabbing fire nodes will not make a lot of sense as phys damage will still scale far better.

EDIT:
Another example

Use the "Cold to Fire" Gem + Avatar of Fire to convert 100% of your cold damage to fire.
This will easily increase ur dps by a lot if u effectively use it, because cold to fire not only converts 50% of your cold damage to fire but also gives u a damage increase on top of that.

meaning you could take advantage of the "Snowforged" node in the tree, granting 25% cold and 25% fire damage, but with a 100% damage conversion it will effectively give u 50% increased damage.

Or you can just forgo Earthquake in favor of Infernal Blow, which converts 50% of your physical damage to fire. With Avatar of Fire, that will give you 100% Phys->Fire conversion.

Yes, you'll lose out on the big earthquake explosions, but Infernal Blow is a pretty satisfying ability as well, when you kill something it will explode for 10% of it's health in damage to surrounding mobs, and it doesn't require slow attacks (in fact attacking faster is better, and it does benefit from Multistrike). Obviously the flipside to this is that you'll need to work Multistrike and Melee Splash into your links, but that's not a huge deal once you remove Less Duration and Ignite (which isn't necessary anyway with Herald of Ash).

I've been looking for a good way to use the Chieftain subclass as well, unfortunately it just doesn't really shine without a conversion attack such as Infernal Blow or Molten Strike.
I'm wondering, for sure somone else already thought it and gave a proper answer but I'm lazy and I don't know how to find it :D
EQ + Avatar + Phys to Light + Cold to Fire gearing Call of the brotherhood= 100% damage converted to fire?

50% phys from avatar converted to fire, the other 50% into light (phys to light), 50% of light into fire (avatar), other 50% of the light converted to cold (call of the b), 50% of cold damage converted to fire (avatar), 50% of cold converted to fire (cold to fire gem).
Hatred deals extra cold damage so 100% converted to fire (cold to fire, avatar, call of the broterhood)
100% of Eq damage converted to fire?

Does it work?
Last edited by ForteBraccio on Jun 22, 2016, 2:55:26 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info