Controled Destruction WTF?

Hi

I bought a 2020 contol destruct for 1.5 ex and don't understand it's huge advantage over Iron Will
IW gives me 39% spell damage with no downside.

2020CD gives me 54% spell dmg - 100% red crit chance.

I'm guessing at 2020 IW will give me 45-50% spell dmg without the downside.

Obv I'm wrong about this because everyone tells me CD is far superior.

TYVM

Turnip
I believe 20/20 Iron Will gives 48% spell damage. Controlled Destruction doesn't reduce your crit chance to 0 though. I think it would also depend on how much strength you are stacking to determine which gem is better for you.
Sound the dread alarm, through the primal body! Sound the reveille, to be or not to be. Rise! Stay the grand finale! Stay the reading of our swan song and epilogue. One drive to stay alive! Elementary, muster every fiber. Mobilize! Stay alive!
Last edited by viciousnugget on Mar 2, 2016, 2:20:49 PM
There is a difference between a more multiplier and an increased multiplier

A more multiplier is better since it multiplies your entire damage by X% while increased modifiers are added together and then multiplied.

Basically this means that more multipliers are way more powerful than an increased modifier.
Last edited by Frankenberry on Mar 2, 2016, 2:21:56 PM
it is a simple equation based on how much increased damage IW gives you and how much increased damage you have from other sources

in some cases IW is very strong, but for most casters it is probably the last support gem they would ever want to use
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Str is my highest att at 239 and gives me 4k dps out of 30800, and it's only 18/10

ikn

I should try it i guess i have both gems
But i blew 30c yesterday and couldn't get 3 blues on my damn light coil.

:(

TY
Turnip

this a bladefall support btw
Last edited by Turniphead2 on Mar 2, 2016, 2:47:03 PM
Levels and Quality on Iron Will make for a tiny little difference. 235 Str also isn't a terribly large amount for Iron Will...

Gaining an extra 4k on 26k (assuming that 30k Damage is with IW) equates to some +15% Damage - Controlled Destruction gives you +44% Damage plus a little smidge, but reduces Crit Chance a bit.

(1.5ex for a gem, when a lv19/0% gets you 95% of the effect)
Last edited by Vipermagi on Mar 2, 2016, 2:57:36 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Levels and Quality on Iron Will make for a tiny little difference. 235 Str also isn't a terribly large amount for Iron Will...

That is the whole problem! Using iron will with 235 str is really ..... ähhmmmm ..... let us call it unusual. ^^
German saying: Schönheit und Funktionalität in Sekundenschnelle zu ruinieren, ist dem wahren Dilettanten keine Herausforderung!
torturo: "Though, I'm really concerned, knowing by practice the capabilities of the balance team."
top2000: "let me bend your rear for a moment exile"
Controlled Destruction is MORE Spell Damage.
Iron Will is INCREASED Spell Damage.

Increased is additive with all other Increased Damage Modifiers you already have (be it from Gear or the Tree,) whereas MORE is multiplicative with all other multipliers.

The Increased portion of Iron Will is [mostly] inconsequential, the pertinent part is that it allows Strength to affect your Increased Spell Damage, and as such it ONLY becomes decent when you have extremely HIGH amounts of Strength on your Character.

So with only 235 Strength, it's really not doing you much good.

In your example 4k of your 30.8k DPS was gained from IW (which would give you ~86% Inc Spell Damage, 39%+the strength bonus,) which would mean that your total Increased Damage modifiers are ~473%. So Iron Will is only adding 86% to that 473%, making it 559% Increased Damage (5.73x and 6.59x Damage when you consider the base damage,) which is only an effective increase of 15%.

Whereas a Level 20 0%q Controlled Destruction would be a straight out 44% MORE increase, or 1.44x Damage. I don't know what your Crit Chance or Crit Multiplier is, so can't really tell how much the downside of CD would affect you, but 44% (even with a slight downside) is better than 15%.
IGN: Golem_Antsy, Harvest
Last edited by Sheriff_K on Mar 2, 2016, 3:24:43 PM
Many thx for explaining this and now I'm glad I bought the cd

i have 28 CC
248 cd

tyvm for all feedback

Turnip
Great posts here thanks.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info