Fire, Chaos Conversion - Benefits from Skill Tree

Hello! I have a question I already read about but didn't quite understand yet:

I'm playing as a new Witch and wanted to try a chaos build, then I saw Items that convert fire to chaos damage.
My question is regarding the order of conversion. If I get more fire damage through the skill tree and then equip the item with the conversion, is the skill tree applied first?
In other words:

1). Base Skill Damage -> Conversion applies -> Passive applies
2). Base Skill Damage -> Passive applies -> Conversion applies

Which one is correct?

Thanks for any help in advance!
Sort of neither. When you convert damage type A to B, you get the full benefit of increases to both types A and B, and they stack additively with each other.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!
Thanks for the reply!

Well that sounds great, so I guess putting points in fire and chaos is worth it then....
I will try, using skill points wrong in this game isn't too bad, hm? ^^
"
viperesque wrote:
Sort of neither. When you convert damage type A to B, you get the full benefit of increases to both types A and B, and they stack additively with each other.

Small addition: damage increases that affect both types of damage only get applied once. In the case of converting fire spells to chaos, "increased spell damage" will only be counted once.

So in your case, you get:
- Base skill damage gets increased by inc fire damage, inc spell damage and inc ele damage.
- Fire damage gets (partially) converted to chaos damage.
- The chaos damage gets increased by inc chaos damage.
Last edited by Phillybear on Feb 29, 2016, 4:23:19 PM
You have to be somewhat careful with skill points, but it's not the end of the world if you mess up your tree a bit. You get a decent number of respec points from quest rewards (24 maximum per character), but after that respeccing starts getting expensive, as Orbs of Regret are not a trivial drop.
Have you done something awesome with [url=http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Sire_of_Shards]Sire of Shards[/url]? PM me and tell me all about it!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info