I need help/suggestion on video card

Sup guys,

I bought a GTX480 video card couple years ago and I paid over 1000 Dollars for this video card. I used to think the card was fantastic as I never had any problems with any games on any setting.

Now comes path of exile, a low budget, free to play game, and even with all the settings on low or off, I can't get more then 10 FPS in a public game, with it spiking to 4-5 FPS on initial pulls. I'm somewhat embarrassed for nvidia because this was once the most powerfull card I the market and held that title for over a year despite its competitions best efforts.

So I want to buy a new card that can actually handle the gameplay in public parties but I don't trust computer store geeks who are simply trying to make a commission.

Anyone here using an Nvidia card that's capable of running 60 FPS in full parties?? What do you have/recommend.

NOTE: please only recommend Nvidia as my motherboard does not support ATI or other brands.
Last edited by AthenaUS on Feb 17, 2013, 11:29:00 AM
The 2GB GDDR5 GTX 560 Ti that I bought a few months ago seems to work pretty well solo, even with my Ranger spamming GMP+Fork+Poison Arrow. 53-63 FPS with all those particle effects going off.

But that is solo. I don't know how it performs with groups since I don't bother with parties :D
I have 0 issues solo either :p
Forum Sheriff
The 480 should not be behaving like that, check your drivers, and try contacting technical support, also your connection might be the problem (internet). I have several friends with 480's who play battlefield 3, planetside 2, and other intensive games at full graphical settings. The 480 is a good card so look into a fix before you scrap it. I for example, have a 650 ti, a bad card compared to the 480 but play PoE at full graphical settings at like 40fps.
"
TheWisable wrote:
The 480 should not be behaving like that, check your drivers, and try contacting technical support, also your connection might be the problem (internet). I have several friends with 480's who play battlefield 3, planetside 2, and other intensive games at full graphical settings. The 480 is a good card so look into a fix before you scrap it. I for example, have a 650 ti, a bad card compared to the 480 but play PoE at full graphical settings at like 40fps.

So if the 480 is superior why do they name the cards that come out after it 500-600s?? Wouldn't it be more simple to the average consumer to recognize a card better then another because its numerical value in the "name/title" is higher??

Anyways it could be my Internet, I changed internets to focus on uploads for streaming and I had to sacrifice download to cut costs, I only get 24 download, would that be the cause of the issue??
"
AthenaUS wrote:
So if the 480 is superior why do they name the cards that come out after it 500-600s?? Wouldn't it be more simple to the average consumer to recognize a card better then another because its numerical value in the "name/title" is higher??

The numbering on the card is just a reflection of how recent it is, not its performance.

And /tinfoil hatted speaking, companies don't care what's simple for the average consumer because if they think a larger number is better, then they'll pay for it and that means profit.
"
Ikagawa wrote:
"
AthenaUS wrote:

The numbering on the card is just a reflection of how recent it is, not its performance.

And /tinfoil hatted speaking, companies don't care what's simple for the average consumer because if they think a larger number is better, then they'll pay for it and that means profit.

That's messed up :p well I looked at the link and maybe a GTX 670 seems like a food upgrade and at 400 bucks it seems reasonable.
Just for reference, I have a Radeon HD 5850 that's about 3 years old now and it handles the game at max settings without issue. Frame rate does drop below 60 in high level parties with lots of minions/enemies/spell effects but it's still playable.
Forum Sheriff
OP, something is wrong with your card. You shouldn't have any issue.
I'm in an abusive relationship with life. It keeps beating the hell out of me and I'm too cowardly to leave it.

IGN • NCPereira
STEAM • steamcommunity.com/id/NCPereira

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info