We know plenty about Ascendancy but... What will the new league(s) be?

Ascendency hits march 4th*

but there is also a HC/SC 3-4months league that comes with it

any news on that?

i feel like people got so overhyped about ascendancy that they forgot leagues lol
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Last edited by Sexcalibure on Feb 10, 2016, 2:47:09 PM
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 5:32:23 PM
"
Entropic_Fire wrote:
I'm more than a little surprised at the overall lack of info we have regarding the new expansion coming just over three weeks from now. So far we have info on most of the ascendancy classes, and limited info on the labyrinth and what goes along with it.

What about skill balancing for existing skills? New skills being introduced? Rework of the passive tree? Anything about new leagues?

That stuff is coming isn't it?
well we know enough for the Laby, too much would kill the "discovering" factor

for the skill balance, we can already assume that vaal spark and bladefall will be nerfed

poison mechanic will be nerfed aswell

Im saying this out of pur logic but we never know, Vaal spark already survived a big patch without being touched
ZiggyD is the Labyrinth of streamers, some like it, some dont, but GGG will make sure to push it down ur throat to make you like it
Let's do some somewhat random guessing!

---

I bet they saw the success of Talisman and will switch to doing SC&HC leagues every time from now on. It's half the development work for them and the community doesn't mind (instead, they seem to enjoy it?). At least the challenges will likely remain fully finishable without having to do both SC and HC.

It probably won't be a whole lot of new stuff just because Ascendancy itself is a ton of information and mechanics changes to get used to.

---

I kinda doubt that they will do anything gear-based like Tali or Warbands. For one, Enchants (from the Labyrinth) will soak up a lot of gear-focused gameplay, and for two, this would be the third consecutive league of that and it's possibly getting a bit old.

Then again, doing a purely monster-based league (Rampage, Beyond, Nemesis, Bloodlines, Onslaught) seems like too little, though a few of those leagues actually did extremely well.

The new-mechanics-based leagues (Ambush, Domination, Anarchy, Torment) are always big hits, but they require by far the most development work and have the absolute highest chance of fucking up the entire league and/or requiring mid-league balance patches (such as easy cartos, ghostbusting, etc).

---

So... random guess for real this time!

It'll be a SC/HC 4mo. league and it'll not be a big new-mechanic league (less dev work).
It'll be much more monster-based than gear-based (less dev work).

The theme will be "Seasons". Kinda similar to Tempest, each zone instance will get one of the 4 seasons (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter) which apply a set of global map mods.

Winter we've already seen, cold degen zones (and maybe "enemies deal extra damage as cold, resist cold").
Summer will be similar with fire degen zones (with "extra fire", "resist fire").
Spring will have the lightning set of affixes (though with lightning strikes, not lightning degen).
Fall will have chaos degen and "monsters poison","resist chaos".

Or maybe, the Seasons rotate on a server-global timer, so 1am is Spring, then 2am is Summer, then 3am is Fall, then 4am is Winter, then 5am is Spring ...

Something like that might be cool. :)
i just hope they only address the excessively abused use cases for poison rather than obliterating the mechanic as a whole like they did with burn proliferation.

it is still a fact that poison doesn’t scale with anything other than chaos and pure physical so it wouldn’t take all the much to bring it below gemslike added fire in terms of damage efficiency .

much rather things like consuming dark and bino's be tweaked instead.
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Feb 10, 2016, 4:09:41 PM
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
i just hope they only address the excessively abused use cases for poison rather than obliterating the mechanic as a whole like they did with burn proliferation.

it is still a fact that poison doesn’t scale with anything other than chaos and pure physical so it wouldn’t take all the much to bring it below gemslike added fire in terms of damage efficiency .

much rather things like consuming dark and bino's be tweaked instead.

Issue is anything can be almost fully converted to poison. GGG does not have much choice at this point.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
pneuma wrote:
Let's do some somewhat random guessing!

---

I bet they saw the success of Talisman and will switch to doing SC&HC leagues every time from now on. It's half the development work for them and the community doesn't mind (instead, they seem to enjoy it?). At least the challenges will likely remain fully finishable without having to do both SC and HC.

It probably won't be a whole lot of new stuff just because Ascendancy itself is a ton of information and mechanics changes to get used to.

---

I kinda doubt that they will do anything gear-based like Tali or Warbands. For one, Enchants (from the Labyrinth) will soak up a lot of gear-focused gameplay, and for two, this would be the third consecutive league of that and it's possibly getting a bit old.

Then again, doing a purely monster-based league (Rampage, Beyond, Nemesis, Bloodlines, Onslaught) seems like too little, though a few of those leagues actually did extremely well.

The new-mechanics-based leagues (Ambush, Domination, Anarchy, Torment) are always big hits, but they require by far the most development work and have the absolute highest chance of fucking up the entire league and/or requiring mid-league balance patches (such as easy cartos, ghostbusting, etc).

---

So... random guess for real this time!

It'll be a SC/HC 4mo. league and it'll not be a big new-mechanic league (less dev work).
It'll be much more monster-based than gear-based (less dev work).

The theme will be "Seasons". Kinda similar to Tempest, each zone instance will get one of the 4 seasons (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter) which apply a set of global map mods.

Winter we've already seen, cold degen zones (and maybe "enemies deal extra damage as cold, resist cold").
Summer will be similar with fire degen zones (with "extra fire", "resist fire").
Spring will have the lightning set of affixes (though with lightning strikes, not lightning degen).
Fall will have chaos degen and "monsters poison","resist chaos".

Or maybe, the Seasons rotate on a server-global timer, so 1am is Spring, then 2am is Summer, then 3am is Fall, then 4am is Winter, then 5am is Spring ...

Something like that might be cool. :)
Coming from an Alpha member, it makes me curious, but again, from what i saw with Chaos/poison/bladefall, GGG doesnt seem to use you guys to test stuff lol they dont seem to test it at all

but can you do me a favour please, put some quotation marks when you say " I bet they saw the success of Talisman"

All i hope is that GGG has learn from their previous mistakes and will make a league that doesnt fade with time. How will you ask? Make it evolve
Last edited by Sexcalibure on Feb 10, 2016, 4:22:56 PM
"
Sexcalibure wrote:
Coming from an Alpha member, it makes me curious, but again, from what i saw with Chaos/poison/bladefall, GGG doesnt seem to use you guys to test stuff lol they dont seem to test it at all

Yeah, this is all from the top of my head.
Nothing to do with alpha (and your guess at how much they use our feedback in general is spot-on).

---

Talisman was a huge success. It had more retention than any previous league and had more /played (and new players) as well.

There are lots of possible reasons for it, but unsure which were the most pertinent. IMO, the change to challenges (making lots of challenges that get harder in difficulty to make players feel accomplishment along the way) was probably the most important thing.

I highly doubt that there's any way PoE can be ladder-based and not get cyclic play.

Evolving leagues might help, but the real limiters are:
- Burnout from racing to ladder positions
- Consumption of all new content when that content doesn't "mix" well with other content
- Cost of rolling a new character, both in boredom and in opportunity lost on "main" character

The first seems unsolvable. The latter two seem entirely solvable. Evolving leagues is effectively saying "add in new content at a slow drip", which has historically worked for them in the past as they drop new uniques during a league.

I think, regardless of what they do in the league, 2.2 has enough content (prestige classes, a pile of pretty great uniques, and labyrinth/enchants) that retention will drop from "normal" burnout, not as a factor of running out of shit to do.

Trying to guess at public reaction is a crapshoot in the best of times, anyway. I just hope they're still creating something that they personally enjoy.
"
pneuma wrote:
"
Sexcalibure wrote:

Yeah, this is all from the top of my head.
Nothing to do with alpha (and your guess at how much they use our feedback in general is spot-on).

---

Talisman was a huge success. It had more retention than any previous league and had more /played (and new players) as well.

There are lots of possible reasons for it, but unsure which were the most pertinent. IMO, the change to challenges (making lots of challenges that get harder in difficulty to make players feel accomplishment along the way) was probably the most important thing.

I highly doubt that there's any way PoE can be ladder-based and not get cyclic play.

Evolving leagues might help, but the real limiters are:
- Burnout from racing to ladder positions
- Consumption of all new content when that content doesn't "mix" well with other content
- Cost of rolling a new character, both in boredom and in opportunity lost on "main" character

The first seems unsolvable. The latter two seem entirely solvable. Evolving leagues is effectively saying "add in new content at a slow drip", which has historically worked for them in the past as they drop new uniques during a league.

I think, regardless of what they do in the league, 2.2 has enough content (prestige classes, a pile of pretty great uniques, and labyrinth/enchants) that retention will drop from "normal" burnout, not as a factor of running out of shit to do.

Trying to guess at public reaction is a crapshoot in the best of times, anyway. I just hope they're still creating something that they personally enjoy.
I wouldnt say that Talisman itself was a huge success, basicly biased by the challenges that offered nice MTX, but the league mechanic itself wasnt what retained people.

But again, we can see this on the bright side. After talisman and warband, it will no doubt be better lol But i feel that they need to make a subtle league. What i mean by that is a league that doesnt require too much effort and doesnt take too much place because no mather how big itll be, it will be overshadowed by Ascendancy content
Last edited by Sexcalibure on Feb 10, 2016, 10:33:50 PM
They'll do something grindy again, that's the tendency since warbands and talisman... siiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.

I don't mind since this is an MMO ARPG (not even trolling) but... siiiiiiiiiiiiiigh.
Second-class poe gamer
Last edited by pr13st on Feb 11, 2016, 1:45:26 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info