Star Citizen

On a whim I decided to check out the free alpha period ('til Feb 14) for Star Citizen.

Bad idea.

I recall a couple of us discussing the negative 'vibe' the original funding campaign had back in 2012, and yes, the timeline slipped as we expected due to feature creep. I stayed away in the intervening three years, but with me losing passion for PoE, I downloaded the alpha client to see if it is truly as bad as some critics claim. It's still really thin on features, but the immersion and attention to detail reminds me of when I first played Unreal and went ga-ga over how realistic the environments felt.

Damn if it didn't bring back memories of Wing Commander, X-Wing, and Descent:Freespace for me; So much so that I pulled my old HOTAS out of the closet...

I ended up pledging in anticipation of Squadron 42 (single player campaign), as they announced release for this year, and based on what I saw, it seems reasonable. The other motivator is that they explicitly announced they are splitting the game's pledge packages after the 14th (either/or or both Star Citizen (persistent universe) and Squadron 42 for more $$$).

Shameless referral plug STAR-FQ6B-B97S if any of you plan on checking the game out. $5k in-game creds for you, rep and tiered upgrades for me if you actually throw money at the game. Enlist now!

There have been a lot of threads about poor game performance. Make sure you turn off the loader after launching the game client, as it has peer-to-peer coding in it. Once I shut that thing down, performance improved noticeably.

Add me if you're in. It's not safe to venture into wormholes alone...
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
Last edited by bl00dengel on Feb 8, 2016, 11:48:13 PM
I think im good with Elite Dangerous for now... :) until No Mans Sky comes out... im not gonna play a controversial game like Star Citizen... too much flak about it, and it seems like its not gonna be finished any time soon, so like, why bother, No mans sky will probably be better anyway, plus, the art and exploration aspects look immaculate as fuck.
Twitch: twitch.tv/slayertip

Helping people with their builds, its somewhat a hobby, and a passion of mine, so don't be shy!

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1715639 <--- Build help forums thread thingy.
I backed 3 years ago (payed 30 euros or so). Playing the alpha every once in a while, it's fun.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I hear y'all loud and clear! There's a reason why I didn't pledge through Kickstarter in 2012. ;-)

We've seen it happen before: Molyneux (Fable); Garriott (Tabula Rasa); Wright (Spore); Roper(Hellgate:London); and I suppose, even Roberts himself (Freelancer).

I'll admit the Kool-aid is pretty sweet, though. They've had three years to blow all that fundraised money on a very polished website (AAA quality, IMO), massive marketing, and good modellers/concept artists. But still, lipstick on a pig is just a pig with lipstick.

I'm not holding my breath that Star Citizen will be all it was made out to be, but if Squadron 42 (single-player campaign) is able to evoke nostalgia for Wing Commander and X-Wing, I'll be reasonably content with the return on the ticket price.
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
I hope SC will do well, besides No Man's Sky (which is severely under-funded, comparatively) there's not much hope left for space lovers.
Yeah I bought a $60 pack a while ago. I'm not spending another penny on it. From what I've seen, nothing compares to the original Freelancer when it comes to space sims.

They've got what, $100 million, and it's been five years without even an open beta. I'm still partially convinced it's going to become vaporware.
lol Star Citizen. We colonize Mars before they make game with all stuff promised.
Release at late 2016? This is gonna be "very fun" year for people who donated.
My computer def couldn't handle it, and I will be 100% content with NMS. I've been so hype about it and I can't wait. I legitimately have not been hyped about a video game for years and now I have both Ascendancy and NMS this year. ^-^
Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>
Has VR support been confirmed for NMS? I'm still very doubtful about the game (really reminds of Spore for some reason) but I think it would be phantastic as a VR game.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info