Elementalist, a HUGE let down

"
RestInPieces wrote:
"
"
Wispo wrote:

So i would have done something like this (example)

-30% less mana cost of skills
-30% more cast speed
-30% more spell damage
-all spells (both crit and non crit) fully ignores all enemies'resistances

No offense, man, but you gotta be kidding me. 100% penetration? What? :DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

I don't think Wispo meant it literally, but as a general idea.

They could have made better talents that applied to all elemental witch builds like:
"-Chance on cast for an extra projectile or chain." (here's your secret arc nerf :P)

or something that fits the elementalist even more:
"-Reduced thresholds of all ailments"

Which would actually be useful with bosses as well, for a change.

Let's assume that i meant "enemies resistances are zero"...

Well for me this isn't broken, if we think to things like:

-bosses life pool is immense
-gems like gmp stil cripple a good bit of projectile spells
-shotgun nerf has sent many proj spells (example: ice spear) in to unwhorthyness
-this way, the unfai paragon with phys spells could be resetted (example: bladefall does not need any penetration gem AND hits mobs that are far more fragile physically than elementally)
100% Penetration is actually way stronger than ignores all Elemental Resistances.
Since most monsters have resistances capped on 75%, so 100% Penetration means -25% resist, which means you deal 25% more dps than you tooltip.
As for ignores all Elemental Resistances, it means whatever the resist the mods have, you just treat it as 0. So, if a mod has -50% fire resist for whatever reason, you still take it as 0%. Therefore you fire damage will now do 100% of the damage instead of 150%.

PS. "Penetration" and "resistance reduction" are two different things.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
"

I don't think you understand the way penetration works, it works with end values and that will never be higher than 75% unless the monster uses some purity aura to raise the cap. The most his 'ignore resists' can do is remove 75% effective resist, which is what 75% pen can do too. However it won't push resists into the negative, the way penetration can.

So, if an enemy has 300% total resist,
Ignore resistance 0
100% penetration -25%

If an enemy has 60% resistance
Ignore resistance 0
100% penetration -40%

If an enemy has 0 resistance
Ignore resistance 0
100% penetration -100%

If an enemy has -100% resistance (after getting doublecursed)
Ignore resistance 0
100% penetration -200%

See why it isn't as broken as it seems? It's valuable for builds that don't reduce resists in other ways or use multi-element hits so penetration isn't worth the slot. For all others it's of dubious value.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Feb 7, 2016, 9:02:53 AM
"
No, it doesn't. I'm pretty certain. By that logic it would seem pointless to go over max resists when running Maps with Elemental Weakness. Yet it does exactly that.

Resistance reduction isn't penetration, you can read more about it on wiki.

About the other one, "cannot" or "ignore" are highest priority keywords, they override everything else.

"
No, it doesn't. I'm pretty certain. By that logic it would seem pointless to go over max resists when running Maps with Elemental Weakness. Yet it does exactly that.

No, the one who don't even know is you.

"Ignore" is "ignore". It's senseless to reduce any resist after it being "ignore". So, take a mod has 150% resist as example.

1. "Ignore" - consider resist as 0% no matter what. It can't be greater, or lower that 0%, even if you reduce it.
i.e. resist is still 150%, but you ignore it and consider it as 0%.

2. "Resist reduction" - reduce the current resist.
i.e. resist is now 50% if it is 100% resist reduced.

3. "Penetration" - penetrate the resist, which means if the resist is already capped, it is "reduced" from the cap value (75% mostly).
i.e. resist is still 150% but capped on 75%, but you penetrate 100% resist and treat it as -25%.

So, even if you have 1000% resist penetration with 5000% resist reduction, if you ignore the resist, you still treat it as 0%.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
"
100% Penetration is actually way stronger than ignores all Elemental Resistances.
Since most monsters have resistances capped on 75%, so 100% Penetration means -25% resist, which means you deal 25% more dps than you tooltip.
As for ignores all Elemental Resistances, it means whatever the resist the mods have, you just treat it as 0. So, if a mod has -50% fire resist for whatever reason, you still take it as 0%. Therefore you fire damage will now do 100% of the damage instead of 150%.

Right, you have understandt very well my idea: a Witch ascendancy notable that, once taken, makes all enemies' resistances, even Core Malachai's ones, exactly like a Normal level 1 Twlight strand zombie ones. No negative resistances, but simply NO RESISTANCES

In my very humble opinion, spells need a thing like this: after all, if some enemies' elemental resistances are so high that no noob players, but even expert ones like AimDeep are switchng from their main spell (example: ice nova) to a more powerful spell (flame surge!!!!) to somewhat, and partially, overcome these STUPID HIGH resistances, the problem is well present. In the same time, people destroys atziri with 5 link Bladefall. Physical is almost not reduced at all, and moreover has one gem slot more because doesn't need penetration. Unfair!!!!! We need a thing that completely ignores enemie's resistances, and NOT in templar -.- With ascendancy, templar will be more suited for magic than a witch.... foolishness!!!!
"
Well, Resistance Reduction is exactly what I mentioned before: It is a form of Penetration.

Look, I'd really want you to understand it, and it is known that I normally spare no effort in that direction. However, I see it is unlikely it will be read with any more comprehension than my posts so far or the wiki article (which is very competently written and covers all relevant examples). I can only suggest that you read everything again.

"
Wispo wrote:
"

Right, you have understandt very well my idea: a Witch ascendancy notable that, once taken, makes all enemies' resistances, even Core Malachai's ones, exactly like a Normal level 1 Twlight strand zombie ones. No negative resistances, but simply NO RESISTANCES

In my very humble opinion, spells need a thing like this: after all, if some enemies' elemental resistances are so high that no noob players, but even expert ones like AimDeep are switchng from their main spell (example: ice nova) to a more powerful spell (flame surge!!!!) to somewhat, and partially, overcome these STUPID HIGH resistances, the problem is well present. In the same time, people destroys atziri with 5 link Bladefall. Physical is almost not reduced at all, and moreover has one gem slot more because doesn't need penetration. Unfair!!!!! We need a thing that completely ignores enemie's resistances, and NOT in templar -.- With ascendancy, templar will be more suited for magic than a witch.... foolishness!!!!

Templar having "ignore resist on crit" really doesn't make any sense, especially on those crit nodes before that "ignore". I really wonder is templar a crit-oriented class (it's not for the current passive). Maybe the ignore resist of templar should be switched with the resist pen of elementalist. Of course, the resist pen should have a bit longer duration. (but the crit nodes don't make sense with the name of "elementalist")
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Last edited by WillisTheWillis on Feb 7, 2016, 9:41:28 AM
"
"
Wispo wrote:
"

Templar having "ignore resist on crit" really doesn't make any sense, especially on those crit nodes before that "ignore". I really wonder is templar a crit-oriented class (it's not for the current passive). Maybe the ignore resist of templar should be switched with the resist pen of elementalist. Of course, the resist pen should have a bit longer duration. (but the crit nodes don't make sense with the name of "elementalist")

Yeah agree, makes strange to see a templar going "full witch" (full penetration on crit, 10% penetration on non crit) and "full shadow" (crit) O.o
"

Inquisitor does strike you as a bit more of a generalist so it might make sense to touch most of his domain. Templar already has a strong connection with elemental damage and, according to devs, crit is aligned to INT so it isn't out of place on him either, I don't have any problems with Inquisitor marrying both of those fields. Actually, he might be the best suited for it, he probably had a license to perform the ceremony too.

Elementalist would certainly be a lot more interesting if crits didn't already cause ailments automatically, and if crits weren't so powerful they had to nerf status ailments in the first place.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info