Elementalist, a HUGE let down

"
I agree. I was disappointed beyond belief. Casters getting shafted is the status quo though isn't it?

I was expecting massive resistence penetration and new mechanics for elemental ailments. Everything about elementalist is sub par.

I would be lying if I said no.

At least we should be getting mechanics that will complement most "elemental" builds' style in a better way. Not equilibrium style talents or damage increased when damage taken talents. Jeez I mean, how un-intuitive and un-fun can a talent be?
"
PyleWarlord wrote:
Strong opinions without seeing the new tree ;D

Get the popcorn ready, I lvled everything BUT Templar; Just incase. And working on Witch in Hardcore. I honestly think the Elementalist is the most balanced for reasons unknown. I've been playing this game for a while this update going to cause a lot of controversies. This update is amazing for non crafters.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Feb 6, 2016, 8:37:04 AM
I think we should first wait for Ascendancy and actually test those classes in-game before making threads like this.
Another quality ZAP! post.
Elementalist will be very strong

your analysis reveals your ability to see synergies, you have missed many interactions and talent uses completely. You did not even manage to understand Shaper of Desolation description

IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
"
I think it's pretty obvious what the meta is going to be this time.

Just take a look at the portrait of Elementalist. What element do you see? Not three. One.

The one that is praised for its OP factor over the entire forum.

Lightning. "Oh, hey! Want 50% more damage from all sources? Here! Try Shock! Fun, isn't it?"

So, here's my plan for this upcoming patch:

Get Scold's Bridle and Lightning Coil.

Why?

Hehe. That's why:

In the video they talk about Infernal Mantle. But really, who gives a crap?

I'll use Cyclone + Discharge all day every day.

*goes crazy*

WAHAHAHAHHAHAA!

Seriously, though. If you copy that idea, at least credit me :P

Its 40% increased damage... so why dont you get 1 jewel slot, get the 40% increased damage there, and then go assassin and have 90% crit chance on your arc instead of 50%?
Discharge is a fire, cold, and lightning skill. It will give you the penetrating buff on all three.

You can also use CoC with attack skills that give you the right penetration for the spell support.

That proliferation is basically a free extra link and probably scales with aoe.

100% chance to proc status ailments and proliferate them after a few kills will give significant clear speed and defensive advantages against average mobs.

This class looks fine to me, the only concern I have is you can't get the proliferation and the resist penetration.

Armies of mini golems will probably be pretty good too if the duration is solid.
"
I think it's pretty obvious what the meta is going to be this time.

Just take a look at the portrait of Elementalist. What element do you see? Not three. One.

The one that is praised for its OP factor over the entire forum.

Lightning. "Oh, hey! Want 50% more damage from all sources? Here! Try Shock! Fun, isn't it?"

So, here's my plan for this upcoming patch:

Get Scold's Bridle and Lightning Coil.

Why?

Hehe. That's why:

P

I am not sure if the bridle's damage done to you is considered as an actual hit. But yes if it is, this will be one of the rare occasions paragon will actually be of any use. Oh, look at the other classes - they don't need uniques and niche builds for their asc talents to be awesome!

"
Ludvator wrote:
Elementalist will be very strong

your analysis reveals your ability to see synergies, you have missed many interactions and talent uses completely. You did not even manage to understand Shaper of Desolation description

Yeah right, why don't you enlighten us then? Oh wait - will you tell me that Shaper applies all 3 effects no matter the damage?
And then that it "synergizes" with Mastermind and Beacon? Are these the synergies you are talking about? Because if they are, you are the one who is not seeing clearly.

Will it actually matter if Shaper applies all three if you don't constantly kill enemies when you fight a single target unique that can easily kick your ass?
Will it actually matter if Shaper applies all three if you don't boost a status ailment with the rest of your talents?
Is the lightning ailment still the only one worth it and ONLY with certain spells? Because the chill will be marginal and the ignite - won't even comment on that.

Do you believe there is a synergy of Shaper for example with Mastermind if I use a lightning spell (the obvious choice) with the 0.1 damage of the ignite penetrating 20% of the target's defenses? Oh yes forgot beacon that will transfer that 0.12 damage to other targets that will hug the first one.

Or do you like the synergy of having to flame dash like a monkey to maximize my ice damage? Or warp like a lunatic to max my fire dmg? Sorry but I can think of less annoying synergies.

Yea there are many synergies like that.
The "hidden" synergies you are talking about are flawed, too niche and un-fun. Unless you have anything else to say.

Please enlighten us.

Also a question: have you seen the synergies of the other classes? If you do, come back and talk about hidden synergies.
Last edited by RestInPieces on Feb 6, 2016, 11:21:44 AM
Elementalist is much better for Ignite builds than other types. Pendulum of Destruction's temporary bonus is better when it creates an unstackable DoT; converting damage from a Lightning skill to Fire is the only way to have a skill benefit itself with Mastermind; Lightning Skills are better CoC enablers, so Mastermind CoC would prefer Fire damage spells; Shaper of Desolation combos with Emberwake.

The problem is, Fire damage is in a horrible position from a metagame standpoint. Elemental Proliferation, which deserved a mild nerf, was nerfed into the ground, and Poison combined with easy conversion to Chaos makes an absolute mockery out of Ignite in general and Emberwake in particular (and gets decent proliferation to boot).

I can imagine Elementalist being actually kind of okay if the some balance changes were made and we had a bit of a resurgence in Ignite in the metagame. However, Elementalist seems to be designed as if Ignite is currently in a good spot in the meta, which means Elementalists seems, and will be, very weak unless/until changes are made to give players a reason not to convert their Fire to Chaos.

However, at a minimum I'd like to see Mastermind changed to reward conversion in general. Lightning Skills should trigger Cold penetration, Cold Skills should trigger Fire penetration, Fire skills should trigger Lightning penetration. Yeah, that makes it easier to use but... well, it makes it easier to use. Even the hard-to-use version is going to get "free" penetration for Call of the Brotherhood and CoC builds, so it's not like Mastermind's intent won't be subverted anyway.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 6, 2016, 12:37:57 PM
I would say each of POE characters has at least one useless subclass. Guess witch got it with Elementalist. To make up for it, Summoner is quite imbalanced as of now.
Issue is summoner is dull af to play for extended periods of time.

Witch really needs something on par with assassin and pretty much all 3 ranger classes and definitely something that does not lean towards cast on crit discharge.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info