Elementalist, a HUGE let down

"
RestInPieces wrote:
Personally I at least expected something more intuitive for the majority of the builds out there. Is this a lot to ask for?

Intuitive is boring. Be thankful for masteries like elementalist, you really need to put an effort into thinking of some use for them :)
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
"
raics wrote:
"
RestInPieces wrote:
Personally I at least expected something more intuitive for the majority of the builds out there. Is this a lot to ask for?

Intuitive is boring. Be thankful for masteries like elementalist, you really need to put an effort into thinking of some use for them :)

Conventional is boring, not intuitive. In PoE it's great that you need to put some effort to build many different creative but viable builds with a lot of a combinations. But in this case, your belief that the same applies to asc talents is misguided. The opposite will happen - you will only be shoe-horned into building your character in a few specific ways. For example having to use a couple of specific uniques/skills for the class to work is the definition of boring.
Intuitive is just another word for expected. Come on, man, where's your sense of adventure? :)

Well, it kind of doesnt matter now right? Turns out if you have an elemental witch caster, your more than likely to be picking Occultist.

That now puts Elementalist in the position where we just have to see if it inspires new things or not. Occultist is the witch crit caster, phys caster, chaos caster, curser, crit attacker, energy shield user... Essentially the witch is now Ghazzy & The Occultist. I was completely wrong and they managed to cover just about everything that isnt Ghazzy with the 3rd class. Somehow, I still cant believe they managed it but Occultist is possibly the most rounded and balanced subclass weve seen yet imo.

Will Elementalist actually expand the Witches current usage that seems to be pretty much covered? I think we have to ask that question 3 months into the ascendancy, its a wildcard subclass.
Well, while I don't like the Elementalist class much, since I think they are lacking. I also think they might get nerfed.

People have already touched on it, their skills kill trash faster. It kind of means their clear speed is going to be unmatched by any other class. Shaper of Desolation and Beacon of Ruin are designed for killing trash by the dozens.
So, I predict that this will be the best levelling class possible. But its boss killing powers are iffy.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
Well, it kind of doesnt matter now right? Turns out if you have an elemental witch caster, your more than likely to be picking Occultist.

That now puts Elementalist in the position where we just have to see if it inspires new things or not. Occultist is the witch crit caster, phys caster, chaos caster, curser, crit attacker, energy shield user... Essentially the witch is now Ghazzy & The Occultist. I was completely wrong and they managed to cover just about everything that isnt Ghazzy with the 3rd class. Somehow, I still cant believe they managed it but Occultist is possibly the most rounded and balanced subclass weve seen yet imo.

Will Elementalist actually expand the Witches current usage that seems to be pretty much covered? I think we have to ask that question 3 months into the ascendancy, its a wildcard subclass.

Correct. I agree that it is a well rounded subclass and I don't know what they were thinking with the elementalist. Occultist is certainly much better for my elemental hybrid witches than elementalist.

"
Starxsword wrote:
Well, while I don't like the Elementalist class much, since I think they are lacking. I also think they might get nerfed.

People have already touched on it, their skills kill trash faster. It kind of means their clear speed is going to be unmatched by any other class. Shaper of Desolation and Beacon of Ruin are designed for killing trash by the dozens.
So, I predict that this will be the best levelling class possible. But its boss killing powers are iffy.

In my book, this is the definition of useless. And I value clear speed more than anything in the game for a character. Most of the builds out there already clear trash like they are nothing. Do you really think that it will make a difference to apply ailments to a monster that I already kill in 2 hits max? Or that the 9 radius melee range prolif will actually spread to a monster that isn't already getting hit by a skill?
"
RestInPieces wrote:
Most of the builds out there already clear trash like they are nothing. Do you really think that it will make a difference to apply ailments to a monster that I already kill in 2 hits max? Or that the 9 radius melee range prolif will actually spread to a monster that isn't already getting hit by a skill?

Exactly, a good, optimized build will benefit much more from Occultist, it already has basic functionality down and Occultist is more about fine tuning. However, for builds that are exotic and enjoyable but underpowered, Elementalist may be more likely to provide the extra punch to reach the minimum usability threshold. You don't think it's good they covered both types of users, even if inadvertently?

Last edited by raics on Feb 12, 2016, 6:05:19 AM
"
raics wrote:
"
RestInPieces wrote:
Most of the builds out there already clear trash like they are nothing. Do you really think that it will make a difference to apply ailments to a monster that I already kill in 2 hits max? Or that the 9 radius melee range prolif will actually spread to a monster that isn't already getting hit by a skill?

Exactly, a good, optimized build will benefit much more from Occultist, it already has basic functionality down and Occultist is more about fine tuning. However, for builds that are exotic and enjoyable but underpowered, Elementalist may be more likely to provide the extra punch to reach the minimum usability threshold. You don't think it's good they covered both types of users, even if inadvertently?

That's the thing, if 99% of the non-summoner witches choose occultist. the elementalist in my eyes is a let down. Even those border-viable exotic builds you are talking about are able to have a more decent clear speed (still inferior to everything else), they won't be very effective with single targets. Never thought of making a ws or discharge witch for example and elementalist will certainly not change that. I don't say some of these builds can't be good, I am saying that even the elementalist doesn't make them much more lucrative.

I think we should have gotten something that would be of actual help to elemental witches, not some exotic tri-element or unique based build.
"
RestInPieces wrote:
Never thought of making a ws or discharge witch for example and elementalist will certainly not change that.

Seriously? The reason I never made a Wild Strike build is there isn't a single bloody thing in the game that actively synergizes with it, so there was no point. Now we'll have one.

"
raics wrote:
"
RestInPieces wrote:
Never thought of making a ws or discharge witch for example and elementalist will certainly not change that.

Seriously? The reason I never made a Wild Strike build is there isn't a single bloody thing in the game that actively synergizes with it, so there was no point. Now we'll have one.

I would make a ws build in ascendancy. But with a shadow. Or even a templar. I honestly believe that they will be more efficient for it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info