Ascendancy Classes Discussion & Opinions

Hi guys! I want to exchange opinions with other players about the ascendancy classes!

In my view what GGG are trying to bring to the game can be very good but its also a really difficult task!

I really like some of the bonuses we have seen so far but i can also find disadvantages!

So my first topic is wether the stats bonuses should be about something specific like for example Bow Damage or something generic like projectile damage!

So if we agree that each class can have some playstyles related to them like Templar/Staff Marauder/Melee Duelist/block Ranger/bows Shadow/daggers Witch/wands or spells then i agree that their classes should be somehow related to those playstyles!

Now if we check the pathfinder Ranger subclass that buffs our flasks we can clearly see that flasks are generic and not ranger specific playstyle!Every class uses flasks and every class survives by using flasks in Path oF Exile.I would get it if a class like Alchemist existed to have better flasks but then why a ranger and not a shadow or templar.Or if we take the juggernaut marauder class that gives generic buffs like accuracy,armour,life regen (which are stats needed in many builds)!

If we now check Witch's Necromance we can clearly see that its a subclass specific to summoners as nearly all bonuses have to do with minions!So its a buff to a certain playstyle!Not something generic that can be used by all classes for many builds!

Furthermore will there be a defensive subclass for each class related to their playstyle gear like Marauder/Armour Duelist Ev/armour Ranger/ev Shadow ES/ev Witch/ES Templar/Armour/ES or only buffs about offensive skill mechanics?

I overall think subclasses will make the game more interesting but iam curius how GGG is planning to have good results in terms of balance!And how is the key aspect in subclass designing!I hope other players share their opinions too as i find it the biggest and most important expansion after 2.0
Last edited by pro17 on Feb 4, 2016, 6:15:56 PM
"

If we now check Witch's Necromance we can clearly see that its a subclass specific to summoners as nearly all bonuses have to do with minions!So its a buff to a certain playstyle!Not something generic that can be used by all classes for many builds!

This is incorrect.

Witches have easy access to + zombie nodes, which makes the physical reduction based on zombie's a solid attribute for non-summoners.(they act like meat-shields with low investment then)

The offering attribute can work for all builds, since it's a generic block/spell block or attack/cast/move speed buff.(while also offering skill effect duration)

The same goes for the aura enhance in the summoner ascendancy.

With those three you can easily make a semi-summoner tanky spell caster.

I think you haven't theory-crafted enough, which makes you come to the conclusion that they are not generic, while in fact they are extremely generic and allow a variety of builds to pick them.
Summoner is the easiest one to fall into this fallacy simply because of it's "name", which automatically invokes a "restriction" in the observer since the therm summoner is a widely accepted therm in ARPG and commonly utilized for an arch-type of itself.

In short, this class will utilize minions, but not only like current "summoners" use them.

Variety will go up.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Hi Boem!thnx for your opinion

I think you missed my point there!I didnt talk about build variety or theorycraft because this is a thing that poe excels in!U can pretty much make unlimited number of combinations between passives/items and skills!Thats arleady a problem that poe solved and thats what makes it a good game!

I talked about playstyles!Someone that is not planning to use zombies or minions wont pick necromancer!And thematically the necromancer is closer to witch!But i dont get how a ranger is depending on flasks while other class are not!This is incorrect in my view.Flasks are used by all classes and all builds while minions are not!
From what I see so far, most ascendancy class might help the build diversity and most of them are great for a huge amount of builds, just like Boem said, most of the nods from the Necromancer was really good for many build that have nothing to do with summoning.

Also, I'm checking at the duelist too, and the champion and Slayer might be really good to make ranged character too along with melee.
"
I talked about playstyles!Someone that is not planning to use zombies or minions wont pick necromancer!And thematically the necromancer is closer to witch!But i dont get how a ranger is depending on flasks while other class are not!This is incorrect in my view.Flasks are used by all classes and all builds while minions are not!

It doesn't really compare, minions, traps or totems are a direction in which you develop your character and flasks are something akin to curses or auras, an aspect everybody at least dabbles in and some take a bit further.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
I was responding to the quoted part.

I feel you made an error there in simply stating it will only benefit the summoner play-style. It will allow much more flexibility then just that.

On your other points,

I think they are using a pattern of

- Soft niche
- Hard niche
- generalist

The shadow for example ->

Saboteur = hard niche (traps)
Assasin = soft niche (crit = very global applicable "niche")
Trickster = generalist (easily accommodates the left-over builds that align with a shadow by specifically buffing it's arch-type nature, stealthy and flexible battle character)

In the ranger this translates to ->

Deadeye = soft niche (ranged/projectile manipulation
raider = hard niche (melee evasion)
pathfinder = generalist (easily accommodates left-over builds)

Generalist's will be the easiest to figure out by the community, since they are very straightforward in application and functionality.
Hard niche will require more character investment to really capitalize on in the end-game i think.
Soft niche falls in the middle of the two, easily exploitable and straightforward.

In therms of play-styles, hard-niches will most likely do the most "real-time" for that where you will actually feel different and play different then before.

Probably a flawed logic, since we don't have all the data yet, but that's what i see happening currently.
Just assuming this, so take it with a grain of salt.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Exactly Boem

Your last post pretty much explains the situation with subclasses!

All the bonuses from classes are goods and we have to see about game balance in 2.2!

That was what i was thinking about!The best example was the saboteur in fact :P
Compared to more general subclasses that can be used for attacks/spells/other in game mechanics like block leech etc.. saboteur seems too specific!

So many classes are generic and some not!Many are too attacking minded and others provide more defence to survive in Wraeclast!
These last 2 don't seem as interesting compared to what has been revealed. Elem feels a little too niche.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
"
Hi guys! I want to exchange opinions with other players about the ascendancy classes!

In my view what GGG are trying to bring to the game can be very good but its also a really difficult task!

I really like some of the bonuses we have seen so far but i can also find disadvantages!

So my first topic is wether the stats bonuses should be about something specific like for example Bow Damage or something generic like projectile damage!

So if we agree that each class can have some playstyles related to them like Templar/Staff Marauder/Melee Duelist/block Ranger/bows Shadow/daggers Witch/wands or spells then i agree that their classes should be somehow related to those playstyles!

Now if we check the pathfinder Ranger subclass that buffs our flasks we can clearly see that flasks are generic and not ranger specific playstyle!Every class uses flasks and every class survives by using flasks in Path oF Exile.I would get it if a class like Alchemist existed to have better flasks but then why a ranger and not a shadow or templar.Or if we take the juggernaut marauder class that gives generic buffs like accuracy,armour,life regen (which are stats needed in many builds)!

Furthermore will there be a defensive subclass for each class related to their playstyle gear like Marauder/Armour Duelist Ev/armour Ranger/ev Shadow ES/ev Witch/ES Templar/Armour/ES or only buffs about offensive skill mechanics?

I overall think subclasses will make the game more interesting but iam curius how GGG is planning to have good results in terms of balance!And how is the key aspect in subclass designing!I hope other players share their opinions too as i find it the biggest and most important expansion after 2.0

do you have other alts on here or are there more than one person who use exclamation points with every sentence!! see! this is what I mean! exclamation points everywhere!
hahaha Xaxarius! thats true! :D

my mistake...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info