What Holds Your Game Back?

I'm against changing the exp penalty. If I - being not overly skilled, running a potato laptop and not playing more than one or two hours a day at most - can get multiple characters to 85+ (highest is 93) then I think it is certainly doable for people investing a bit in their knowledge of the game and its dangers to reach 95 in a few months. That seems to be a fine state for the game to be in.

Contrary to other responses, I don't think the fact that some people can reach 100 on hardcore in a new league within two weeks says much about the exp penalty for non-streamers and casuals, those people just play a wholly different game.

The thing holding my game back most right now is the lack of asynchronous trading options. I find decent in maps, things which I could sell if only I were online more (I notice that when I sometimes get to let the game run for half a day and make a lot more currency). For me, it's fair to have players earn more who kill more/more difficult mobs but to prevent people from selling the stuff they have by requiring them to be online all the time is not.
scroogetemplar / scroogewitch / scroogemarauder

Freezing Pulser (safe + affordable): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529856
I hate when I die and lose exp but without the exp penalty the game would not be fun at all, there would be no challenge.
I'm on lvl 87 now and have died 198 times. I made this character 11 days ago and I only play solo. I'm a newbie to the game but it's still not that difficult to level up.

If you cannot level your char over 86 in one year, you have to spend some of you currency and buy better gear and respec your skills to a better build.
And if you die to bleeding you must adapt to the game and learn to stop it in time. If you have not already activated healtbar directly over your character do it, it helps a lot. Get used to pop potions as soon as your health goes down, even if it's only for a little bit and have anti bleed on on your most used potion.

Also if players could pay to keep their exp when dying the game would become a "pay to win" which would ruin all competitions and everything.
Last edited by AllanIDalen on Feb 4, 2016, 8:27:31 AM
Investing in survivability, playing cautiously and still getting instakilled left and right.
Last edited by Raudram on Feb 5, 2016, 12:15:56 PM
exp penalty is very important to prevent bad builds from progressing. also, removing it would be like stabbing the original (promised by devs) game design in the back, it would make many loyal supporters feel betrayed. there were many people complaining when the penalty was reduced to its current state. And there are many players now who think core game is becoming too easy (with the new tools being added each big patch)

games like this (aRPGs) are not designed so that you have endless fun with one character (like in MMOs), the biggest feature here is build diversity and character customization possibilities. By sticking with one char only, you miss all of that

I usually get bored by current build soon after it is finished. leveling is slow, solves nothing, possible upgrades are tiny and expensive and unnecessary, map sustain becomes difficult, and there are many build ideas prepared I have no time to realize.. So I rather make a new char to endgame than using the same time to level from 85 to 90

lvl 95+ is not something every character is supposed to do. It is the optional goal for the most dedicated Exiles out there
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Map drops. Lack of monsters to kill that are above lv 75. Given time the lv 8 masters and maps that do drop can get you to 95 or so, but the problem with the leaques is that they just don't last long enough for that to be viable like it is on standard.

Also they seem to balance the game off of the top few percent of players who
1. play insane hours.
2. Use real money to buy stuff.
3. play in groups.
4. stream and get free stuff given to them by fans.
5. people that play this game as traders playing in a fake stock market.

They don't balance it around the average player or even the player who plays an hour or two daily. Players who just like to kill stuff and clear maps.
Tier 1 map drops in Tier 11 maps is what's holding my game back, worst game design decision of the century.
-Forever Casual-
IGN: Zzerk
"
_Zerk_ wrote:
Tier 1 map drops in Tier 11 maps is what's holding my game back, worst game design decision of the century.

psychologically, maybe. high map sustain is hard by design. If the T1s didnt drop, you probably would still get the same high map droprate. game expects you to have some other characters and gives you some extra maps
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Feb 5, 2016, 2:05:33 PM
For me, I only play challenge leagues, and usually about 1/3-1/2 of the challenges are not interesting enough to be worth my time. They're mostly trading. I usually wait till the next challenge league once I complete the worthwhile challenges.

@OP Your builds or gear REALLY need work if you can't get past 85. I would be happy to help you, message me in-game some time.
Prejudice is a burden that confuses the past, threatens the future, and renders the present inaccessible.
"
Boneshaka wrote:

That summoner has been between 82 and 86 for over a year. Long enough that I constantly roll new characters, play them to 70 or 75 and abandon them. Or I get so frustrated and pissed off that I quit playing for a couple months, just to come back, build up to almost 86 and die again. I've quit buying Micro-transactions out of frustration. I don't want to financially support the game when it makes solo progression so difficult for me, and I only play solo because arthritic fingers and other problems associated with age make group play impossible for me unless I go the route of leaching my way through.

I jokingly tell people in-game that #1 rule of leveling is "never be too proud to leech". ;)

You can level past 86 very easily, the only thing you need is persistence, you need to stick with it. Rerolling all the time is the reason why your main is stuck at 86, I know this cause I've been there myself. First time I stopped rerolling and decided to stick with one character, I've realized leveling isn't anywhere near as hard as people think.

Improve your gear, optimize your tree, if needed. After this, you just keep playing, dont die (too much, if softcore). That's all it takes. Now, if you want to get to 100 as fast as possible, that takes certain game knowledge plus it costs serious currency. Group play is cheaper, faster and safer compared to solo, but even solo 100 is achievable for anyone.
Last edited by toyotatundra on Feb 6, 2016, 3:12:59 AM
For me is dying of game freeze or stupid bugs.

Sometimes I manage, sometimes I just quit for a while and play other games.

It is frustrating.

Also GGG is so ocupied with new content and does not see how much lag is on servers and all started after the release of the new races. I simply cant play the game anymore nor I want to invest more into gear just so that I die at some point by a freeze screen or opening boxes or invisible frostbearers.

Atm all I do is level chars untill 80 and let them stay there.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info