Let me dispel some of your illusions about auction houses.

^Exactly.

Though i wouldn't call it an auction house, because it isn't?

Peace,

-Boem-

edit : typo
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Feb 3, 2016, 6:09:45 PM
automated buyouts are simply bad.

people will argue that we already have automated buyouts with poe.trade, but they're wrong. those are not automated buyouts. these transactions take a lot more time. and I mean, A LOT more time. automated buyout AH gives nanosecond precision, which makes ruling the AH extremely profitable for writing bots.

think about a high-profile high-frequency stock trader in whose trading every nanosecond matters. now imagine this trader who uses specific software that allows him to be super fast, having to message a person, take few minutes to find an available guy, spend a bit more minutes listing his assets in a trade, and so forth..just to make one trade.

you don't want automatic buyouts in this game. or any game. you really do not.
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
The opening post describes the current situation. The auction house, poe.trade, is already widely used, normally in conjunction with a third-party program for automatic shop thread formatting. Serious traders currently use more third-party programs than that, such as whisper-to-SMS programs or the mysterious third-party indexers.

So it's silly to pretend we're not in an auction house environment, because we really are, and it's only because it's entirely third party that some people can put the blinders on and ignore the facts.

+1

To whatever extent it can happen it will happen in any economy-centric game. Just the nature of the beast.
"
Boneshaka wrote:
"
diablofdb wrote:
I'm just so glad Chris said there would never be an auction house in POE

Yup, Developing and maintaining an AH would take man hours away from techs who maintain the game and develop new content. Smart move by GGG to avoid one. A trade system rework would be good because it could be self sustaining after initiation, but an AH would be a terrible mistake.

Also that there are many people who would dislike having an auction house, they would end losing some players. I agree having some QOL for trading would be fun and useful, as long as it involve some human interactions as it is right now, but with a better interface.
"
GeorgAnatoly wrote:
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
The opening post describes the current situation. The auction house, poe.trade, is already widely used, normally in conjunction with a third-party program for automatic shop thread formatting. Serious traders currently use more third-party programs than that, such as whisper-to-SMS programs or the mysterious third-party indexers.

So it's silly to pretend we're not in an auction house environment, because we really are, and it's only because it's entirely third party that some people can put the blinders on and ignore the facts.

+1

To whatever extent it can happen it will happen in any economy-centric game. Just the nature of the beast.

I mean it's ignoring the fact that it's drastically less efficient than something like WoW's AH. Largest difference is only very few people are willing to dedicate their time and lives to even attempting to stimulate the efficiency of WoW's AH.

I made tens of thousands of Gold in WoW(In PoE equivalents it would be dozens of chaos orbs or more), reading a guide, installing some basic add-ons and then spending 1-2 hours a day doing basic stuff. It was constant complete easy to get income with extremely low effort on my part. It was constant, ensured, and ridiculously more effective than actually playing the game.

People talk about how "flipping" is so easy in PoE, But I never hear stories of people flipping from 1C to dozens of exalts or similar situations. Where in something like WoW, I personally have turned my rags to riches literally just flipping with 0 effort on my part.

We can have an in-game trading system where we basically have PoE.trade in the game (were you search tabs people already set items in, you make them offers up to a limit of like 5-10 at a time ect). Even then it would far be less drastically effective and economy warping like a full on AH.

I mean I hope people would take the ADVICE of people who flipped seriously for tons of income in what would be healthy for the game or not.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Feb 3, 2016, 11:30:02 PM
The bid limit thing cannot work in a game that allows people to make as many (free of charge) accounts as they wish.

It's a nice idea, but not for PoE.
The hardest part is how the make trading much user-friendly, while not making it like a stock market. (Yup, auction houses is literally a simplified stock market with smaller, but varying amount of shares per "company"/item)
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Damn, those tools got much better since the last time I played.

regards, capped gold in WotLK then quit
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
Last edited by Xavderion on Feb 3, 2016, 11:48:17 PM
"
The bid limit thing cannot work in a game that allows people to make as many (free of charge) accounts as they wish.

It's a nice idea, but not for PoE.

One of the most important systems of a "fair" ah system in game is that to force flipping to be extremely inefficient and time-consuming, as well as limited the amount a single person can buy. WoW even had like a 10-15% tax and I still made hand over fist with flipping.

As of lately at best a single person will have to buy 1 item, one at a time finding it, messaging that person, getting in contact, withdrawing the money, purchasing it. Assuming there isn't alot of things that went wrong in-between each step. Then manually list up the item in his shop, and wait for a buyer to do in-between, while both characters are online. Most importantly I CANNOT play or farm the game efficiently while doing this.

Something like WoW I could literally have the AH on a 2nd screen somewhere and instantly buy the entire markets worth of gold ore and relist all of them instantly, while playing the god damn game on the 1st screen. With tons of addons keeping track of tons of things, trends, entire websites dedicated to information. I can instantly pull up. Where do I get the latest tips and tricks for flipping in PoE?

It makes an environment where if you do not play the money game, you lose. It effectively forces everyone in the entire server to keep up with the johns. Otherwise I'll jack up all the price of potions and food on Thursdays when I know everyone in the server raids on that day, and dump the price of mats on Saturday because everyone is off to farm ore or whatever and dumping it off in the AH.

One of the biggest limiters right now to "flipping" is how many people that do not actively partake in the PoE market. Do you know how many mirrors/exalts are rotting in people's stashes right now because they do not actively partake in the market? How many people play self-found or no trading only? Many more would try it or do it casually with a functioning AH. With an AH, it DRASTICALLY increases the amount of total currency in the market (and total amount of buyers, and people who don't really care so they throw their currency/items willy nilly into the market that obviously you wouldn't benefit), inflating the price of everything. Only people who take equally rich are the ones who are attempting to constantly making money, while anyone else scrapping by loses because everything they own is devalued.
Last edited by RagnarokChu on Feb 4, 2016, 12:14:17 AM
To be clear, my argument is for no AH at all.
If an AH appeared, suddenly each greedy RMTer would have dozens, hundreds or thousands of snipe bot accounts running non stop. The game would suffer a WORSE problem of 'haves' and 'have-nots' than it does already. The game would need to be adjusted (gear check/less drops) to account for what the 'haves' can do in terms of breaking it.

Eventually, only bots would remain actually 'playing' the game.

AH = RIP PoE

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info