HI exiles. How do I fix insomnia?

I'm a pretty fidgety person (a website called it hyperactivity disorder, but I know how much the average gamer disbelieves in mental illness) and that is why I am posting this.

It's 3:30 am and I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to go to work in 5.5-6 hours.

I lie here and I just feel like I want to get up and do something. But I can't even play games because my roommate is sleeping and I don't like being an asshole.

I would try something like warm milk but I'm in a dorm where I don't take care of myself very well and I'm lactose intolerant, so that plan is a bit dubious.

Do you guys just want to hear more cool stories bro? Actual advice would be much appreciated but I'm not expecting much from an Internet game forum, especially when not even medical science seems to have insomnia on lock.
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Camille thea 2 hours prior to sleeping etc.

Valerian 30 min before sleeping.

15->30 min meditation before going to bed. Don't combine meditation with valerian though, that wouldn't be productive.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
adghar wrote:
I'm a pretty fidgety person (a website called it hyperactivity disorder, but I know how much the average gamer disbelieves in mental illness) and that is why I am posting this.

It's 3:30 am and I'm pretty sure I'm supposed to go to work in 5.5-6 hours.

I lie here and I just feel like I want to get up and do something. But I can't even play games because my roommate is sleeping and I don't like being an asshole.

I would try something like warm milk but I'm in a dorm where I don't take care of myself very well and I'm lactose intolerant, so that plan is a bit dubious.

Do you guys just want to hear more cool stories bro? Actual advice would be much appreciated but I'm not expecting much from an Internet game forum, especially when not even medical science seems to have insomnia on lock.

Complete darkness... Your brain releases a chemical to start inducing sleep. I have hypertension and I don't fall asleep till 5am until my doctor told me to remove all technology from room, don't eat before sleep and to make sure I am in complete darkness. You can buy one of those eye covers for bed however I find them extremely uncomfortable.

Also force yourself a nap during the day on your days off. In addition to making sure you force yourself to keep a strict pattern of sleeping and waking up. In about two weeks you will feel great.
"Another... Solwitch thread." AST
Current Games: :::City Skylines:::Elite Dangerous::: Division 2

"...our most seemingly ironclad beliefs about our own agency and conscious experience can be dead wrong." -Adam Bear
Last edited by solwitch on Jan 27, 2016, 7:16:03 AM
Thank you sir. I've enjoyed meditation in the past so I'm going to see if that helps now. I also gotta remember to check the campus grocery for chamomile.

END LIFE STORY ENTRY FOR TONIGHT. TOMORNING.WHATEVER IT'S CALLED
Need game info? Check out the Wiki at: https://www.poewiki.net/

Contact support@grindinggear.com for account issues. Check out How to Report Bugs + Post Images at: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/18347
Over the counter Melatonin can help too. Just be careful with dosing, high-ish (20mg) doses can result in some really freaky ass dreams. I believe most capsules come in 5mg so shouldn't be hard. :P

Start with small doses and work your way up until you find a dosing that works for you, I wouldn't go much higher than 20mgs tho.
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Last edited by Shovelcut on Jan 27, 2016, 11:30:55 AM
Take Jiu Jitsu ive never met anyone who had trouble sleeping after a night of training.
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
It could be your diet and/or activity level (exercise).

Eating healthy and in a structured way could help. Also avoid fruit juices (yes, even unsweetened), soda, beer/wine/alcohol and adding sugar to your tea/coffee.

Water. Lots of it.

If you're asking for a quick fix to put you to sleep, then try sleeping pills.

If you're actually asking for a way to cure insomnia, then exercise and eat healthy. It's cliche but there's a good reason it's cliche - it works. Any medical doctor will tell you the same thing.
Last edited by Darkfyre on Jan 27, 2016, 12:22:22 PM
"
Darkfyre wrote:
If you're asking for a quick fix to put you to sleep, then try sleeping pills.

I avoided that as a suggestion because it can leave you feeling groggy in the morning, Melatonin will not and is much safer/not habit forming.

Edit: I suffered with chronic insomnia for over 10 years and tried many things, the melatonin really helps. Sleeping pills may be a quick fix but if you get hooked you're just covering one problem with a much larger one imo.
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Last edited by Shovelcut on Jan 27, 2016, 12:35:08 PM
Stop drinking caffeine before noon and exercise.

Give up as many processed foods as possible and don't play video games for the last hour you plan to be up. (Try reading instead)

Edit:process foods often hide large amounts of fats and sugars in them to make you enjoy them more. Learn to cook for yourself and your body will thank you.

Spoiler
I just ate a slice from a turkey pot pie I made with leftovers. Soooo goood...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info