Your thoughts on the game speed meta?

@topic: I think the game is too fast-paced.

---

I would say the main changes are:
- trigger gems,
- additional and faster movement skills,
- extremely strong on-kill effects, and
- lots of AoE damage (due to GGG enemy design).

Of the triggers, defensive triggers are the big speed-up; offensive triggers aren't really the problem (other than being sources of mega-dps, but that's its own thing to balance with other damage sources). The defensive triggers take no time and marginal resources (sockets which, before dtriggers, weren't filled anyway) to automate a lot of action. As GGG adds more utility/otherwise gems, socket pressure should at least balance out the dtriggers, but overall, I don't think this is ever getting reverted.

On movement skills, I distinctly remember GGG being against teleportation in any form for a long time. Remember when GGG pulled Phase Run because people were just using it to move faster? Now we have a whole class of skills that are used for that explicit purpose and GGG sees no problem with it.

Nowadays we have FD, LW, BA, LS, and WB, all of which can reposition the character absurdly quickly. Teleportation is a massive speed-up and it has some other negatives, too. Level design doesn't matter as much, terrain mechanics don't matter as much, and enemies are incentivized to 1shot the player before the player zips away. I feel like this is probably the biggest change of any that GGG has made.

Thirdly, having extremely powerful on-kill effects (notably flasks (especially ToH, Vinktar, Rumi's), but also charge generation, HoI/HoT, vaal skills, headhunter) means that clear speed goes exponential after you cross a threshold. The more you kill... the more you kill (and the safer you are). It absolutely trivializes everything below map T13+ when you can reliable 1shot stuff and have your power-flasks last long enough to have permanent uptime.

Lastly, AoE is just out of control. The single target skills are a shambles, and if your main skill doesn't hit a whole mobpack at once, your clearspeed is half or less what it should be (and what the game is balanced around). This goes hand in hand with GGG spending the last several years increasing mob density and adding adds to boss fights in an attempt to increase difficulty. Realistically, it hasn't made the game that much more difficult and has instead just shifted which skills players run.

Reducing mob density and adding more strong (i.e. annoying) enemy defensive effects like Bubble and Necrovigil would help slow down the pace considerably and require more tactical gameplay (well, more than the ~zero that is required now).

---

Even one or a few of these changes (not all) would work together to bring the pace back in line. For instance, enemies that take more than a microsecond to kill means that flasks don't keep permanent uptime. Similarly, not having teleportation means that enemies have time to use their AI to set up defensive walls before the player can mass-AoE them all down.

Ascendancy will be interesting to see. I don't really have much hope of GGG going back on most of their design changes, so more than likely this is just going to be the pace of the game forevermore.
"

And why the fuck do some of you like slow paced gaming wtf lol it's an ARPG.

Some of us are A LOT older than you and we like to take our time.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Last edited by DoubleU on Jan 28, 2016, 6:09:34 PM
"
DoubleU wrote:
"

Hahaha take your time IN PoE? That is amazing right there. Good one.

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
Last edited by Coconutdoggy on Jan 28, 2016, 6:15:46 PM
"
"
Mivo wrote:
"
Malone wrote:
honestly, I would greatly increase drop rate by 100 % and mob hp by 300 %... so the game would be slower but more rewarding ( per mob killed ).

Wouldn't it also lower the number of builds that are perceived as viable? It would increase monster damage indirectly, because the longer a mob is alive, the more damage you take and the closer the mob will come to you. I think that would make melee even less attractive.

don't talk shit about D1 m8
I've felt for a long time that PoE is more "modernized D1" than "modernized D2." D2 was about easy loot and absurdly fast AoE kills, D1 was about positional play and RNGesus influencing with every little facet of play.

Although perhaps this is less true now.

BTW excellent post Pneuma, almost like reading my own thoughts.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 28, 2016, 6:48:20 PM
coming from a break i must say the pace has changed alot
this league i made one of those bladefall trappers and the dps single and aoe is really high and it feels to me that i dont have to worry where i stand what to equipt and so on

in the last leagues i had to have a curse remove at all cost for magnus the flameblasting asshole this league i havent seen magnus or igna at all

those arc mages in act 3 with their lightning thorns had to be timed and picked off

reflect was always a scary thing and you had to build around it which forced me to mostly play indirect dps chars

devourer could spawn in bluepaks 6-8 with nasty mods

i loved the skele totem tactic and the preparation for a fight with flasks diffrent gear ect

i saw one of those perpetual vaal spark builds on youtube and thought if i would play that i would be bored in 10min

all in all it looks to me this game got insanely easy and the spirit and tension is reduced to a minimum

i named my char casualtrapper and the name is program i play 2-3 h every 2 days or so compared to 10+ hours in the past iam not rich or anything i dont even have a procurement shop in talismanhc dispite being close to 80

i think this will end like diablo some monsterstrenght and dps numbers in the billions.....
https://poe-ssf.herokuapp.com/. Join the fun.
SSF HC Legacy Witch Lvl 53
Last edited by ventiman on Jan 29, 2016, 6:42:07 AM
There are a lot of play styles that just has way to few downsides.

Voltaxic to mention one. I hope they nerf that item hard so at least physical bow builds can do something - anything - better than a voltaxic build. Right now there is literally no upside to not playing Voltaxic if you are going bow -.-

Also blast rain seems way to strong.

Overall and in general I feel GGG overbuffed us and made the game to easy. I guess to address all the constant bickering and whining on these forums :(
Last edited by Frankenberry on Jan 29, 2016, 7:22:40 AM
"
Frankenberry wrote:
Voltaxic to mention one. I hope they nerf that item hard so at least physical bow builds can do something - anything - better than a voltaxic build. Right now there is literally no upside to not playing Voltaxic if you are going bow -.-

My how the tables have turned. Before 2.1 people were basically saying the same shit about Windripper. Those of us who built around Voltaxic before the new leagues never thought we'd see the day when our bow of choice would be central to one of the most OP builds in the meta.
"
"
DoubleU wrote:
"

Hahaha take your time IN PoE? That is amazing right there. Good one.

:D If you don't wish to improve your farmspeed it's your choice, but speedfarming is a core component of ANY GAME of the genre, gladly you can play alone in your bubble if you want as you wish; but don't get on your high horses because you do not play the game "the right way", it is on you.

Still it's broken atm. As everybody stated in the thread, AoE is king and it's quite easy having some kind of great clearspeed with tons of builds. PoE's end game isn't good at all on that regard (pure gameplay wise).

To me it is like it has always been, the game misses some layers. (and even if each addition is nice and well done, it nevers fills the hole, even partially)
Last edited by galuf on Jan 29, 2016, 11:05:01 AM
"
Psyonix wrote:
"
Frankenberry wrote:

My how the tables have turned. Before 2.1 people were basically saying the same shit about Windripper. Those of us who built around Voltaxic before the new leagues never thought we'd see the day when our bow of choice would be central to one of the most OP builds in the meta.

True :)

Also I would like to see blast rain reduced by 15-25% or so.

Bino's Dagger for caster builds also seems totally unbalanced :(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info