PC servers are restarting in:
They should be back up in approximately .

Understanding Map Drops - a statistical Approach

this all useless.
poe - random
thats it.
[ I G N ] Grafflol___ hc talisman
Grafflol___ lvl almost 98.#40 thc[rip from icenova box].atziri slayer[kill count 256]#1 normal atziri slayer[invasion].world first avatar of thunder as melee.[THC] best twin t14/t15 killer[thc] /1554892
my stream http://www.twitch.tv/grafflol ye i got 1m views.
"
Boem wrote:
I have two suggestions.

1) re-create this experiment with "building up a pool" instead of the "run highest tier".

Something like 50 maps of same tier = move up one tier (low-tier maps)

20 maps of mid tier = move up one

5 maps of high tier etc

Please do this. I believe my less sophisticated number crunching tells me that it doesn't change the overall analysis, except you are less likely to be "lucky guy" and less likely to be "unlucky guy."

I build a pool of 8-10 before moving up. At T13, I stop worrying about pools and run them at my convenience.
"
godgraff wrote:
this all useless.
poe - random
thats it.

Respecting someone for his effort is too much to ask, right ?

Fucking internet.

@OP

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/807964

If it somehow helps to sync your results. I think he used a log-lin distribution. Im also not too deep into it, 'cuz, well, "just" an engineer. :P

A small suggestion for this good job:
Clearly state in two lines what you did to give people an easier overview. I.e

- I have this dataset i collected
- I try to fit a mathematical model into this dataset
- I simulate this model to check the result and pool development

(maybe better formulated :))

If you do some sort of puplications, intro and conclusion are the most important points and needs to go hand in hand.

Edit: Even for a model, imo its pretty damn close. Im running usually 130 EIIQ (2.3 Multi) and can hold nearly T11 (Drops are in average a bit lower). Expecting a model, that actually fits to 90%-95% is utopic. So yea, pretty well done.

I also suggested not so long ago, to reduce the variance overall so the disparity between "lucky" and "unlucky" guy is not so damn huge. Just look at that shit: Lucky is running in average like 2 tiers higher? I mean, c'mon..
Welcome to the greatest of arenas, Duelist. God is watching you.

Last edited by Astarte911 on Jan 27, 2016, 9:10:06 AM
"
Char1983 wrote:
The goal here is to build a model that approximately describes how map drops work in PoE...

All your overly complicated analysis here only goes to prove one thing. That with no real endgame in PoE the devs have had to make higher tier map drop rates low enough to extend the time grind for xp to achieve a level 100 build. Most of GGG's thinking on this is focused on the very small % of top elites that can push a build to 100 in a couple of months in any league. Chris has stated that we (GGG) don't want elite players to reach level 100 in only 1 month. One way was the doubling of xp required going from 99 to 100. More xp needed, more time grind. Simple and obvious. The only other way is to gate (limit) the higher level map drops that provide more xp for harder content played.

Your way too long (yes,you fairly warned us that this post would be long) post and tedious statistical analysis of map drop frequencies really removes players from pure monster bashing fun of the arpg game. Except for math and statistical junkies who else plays PoE for the math analysis of how map drop rng formulas work (maybe build theorists and commodity brokers like doing that and don't play the monster bash).

Anyway, it doesn't take a statistical degree to understand that PoE has been and is being programmed to keep top elite arpg junkies from racing a build to level 100 in a few weeks. Plain and simple. How that is done by way of low drop rates of higher tier maps is always tweaked each league to not see too many 100s of level 100 builds on the ladders. Not any need to go crazy on this. I'm sure the devs are amused and pleased that their little arpg has gotten this much over analysis.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
godgraff wrote:
this all useless.
poe - random
thats it.

Awesome! You totally understood the post, especially the "think before posting" part. Well done!

"
Astarte911 wrote:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/807964

If it somehow helps to sync your results. I think he used a log-lin distribution. Im also not too deep into it, 'cuz, well, "just" an engineer. :P

A small suggestion for this good job:
Clearly state in two lines what you did to give people an easier overview. I.e

- I have this dataset i collected
- I try to fit a mathematical model into this dataset
- I simulate this model to check the result and pool development

Thanks for the input / suggestions :).

"
Arrowneous wrote:
Your way too long (yes,you fairly warned us that this post would be long) post and tedious statistical analysis of map drop frequencies really removes players from pure monster bashing fun of the arpg game. Except for math and statistical junkies who else plays PoE for the math analysis of how map drop rng formulas work (maybe build theorists and commodity brokers like doing that and don't play the monster bash).

Look, if you are not interested, there are enough other threads in this forum. I find this interesting, because I have a math-oriented mind.

Besides, I still strongly believe that map drops could be organised better. In a way that makes it more fun for the average player, without making top-end players sustain T14. And maybe, just maybe, someone from GGG will read this and think about it. Will make more sense once I post some more analysis, which I did not do yet, because honestly, it is quite some work. But it is work that I like :).
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
Last edited by Char1983 on Jan 27, 2016, 11:34:27 AM
I just want to say I'm planning on reading this thread and responding properly.

Soon™.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by Entropic_Fire on Oct 26, 2016, 5:25:24 PM
Wouldn't it be awesome if GGG actually gave us the map drop function.

So we could precisely model it.

And criticize it.
Never underestimate what the mod community can do for PoE if you sell an offline client.
@ Entropic_Fire:

Well, maybe. We do know some facts for sure, though. Amongst them are: Normal mobs drop a max of +0, magic/rares +1 and only bosses can drop +2. We also know that most drops are somewhat close to the map level you run (from statistics, and I assume that applies for all tiers). We know that T13 is unsustainable and that T8 is sustainable with alch-and-go. We know that T14/T15 is rare.

From that knowledge alone, and with a bit of modeling, we can learn a lot. We can maybe not learn so much about the "climbing through the tiers" business, as I pointed out, but we can learn about how lucky/unlucky you can get and that T15s are rare, but rare in a weird way (streaky).

@ Vhlad:

Yes, it would be. I doubt they will do it, though. But yes, GGG, if you are willing to give the map drop function, that would be absolutely awesome :).
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
Last edited by Char1983 on Jan 27, 2016, 12:27:30 PM
Thank you for this post. It was pretty fun to read. I am not a very good player and have been stuck at T6 for awhile. This gives me some ideas on what to change to move up some map tiers.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info