fresh install stuck at "Checking resources..."

Hi

I just want to install PoE again, after long break, but the updater/installer is stuck at "Checking resoutces...".
I have Windows 7 64bit, PoE is allowed in my firewall, antivirus is turned off, and my internet connection is working fine.
I'm trying to install the standalone PoE version without Steam onto my SSD, which have 26 GB free space.
I kept closing it and restarting but to no avail.
Uninstalling and reinstalling is also not working, since I keep getting the same message (Checking resources...)

So I would like to ask for your help.

PS.:
I'm running it as admin, also tried to delete content.ggpk, no use.
Last edited by MC_Grinda on Jan 22, 2016, 12:07:24 PM
Last bumped on Jan 10, 2018, 10:24:23 PM
Almost gave up after 20-30 tries, until I read this below post:
"
Demonpunch wrote:
Someone in the comments posted a solution: Right click the installer, troubleshoot compatibility, choose reccomended settings, click Sart the program, and after that it starts to load.

And funny enough, it's working now!
But why do I have to turn on Windows XP compatibility via troubleshoot to install PoE?
Argh... Not good.
Game is terribly slow, since it was installed into C:\windows\SysWOW64, which is my HDD.
I specified the installation path to my SSD (Q:), but somehow the game was installed onto C: because of the compatibility mode I suppose.
Please help.
Last edited by MC_Grinda on Jan 22, 2016, 1:29:42 PM
Why did you install the game into C:\Windows anything?

You should install to C:\Games, or the default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile

Pretty sure you did something wrong if you told it to install to Q: but it installed to C:\Windows anyway.
"
Drakier wrote:
Why did you install the game into C:\Windows anything?

You should install to C:\Games, or the default is C:\Program Files (x86)\Grinding Gear Games\Path of Exile

Pretty sure you did something wrong if you told it to install to Q: but it installed to C:\Windows anyway.

Hello, thanks for your reply.
I did nothing wrong, it's not a user error case :)
I have several games on Q: they are just working fine.

I specified the following path to the installer:
Q:\Program Files (x86)\Path of Exile

And it created a directory there, which contained some basic Path of Exile files. It was the updater basically with a 16MB Content.ggpk file.
So far so good.

But after running the updater, it was stuck at the stage "Checking resources..."

So I decided to try troubleshooting on PathOfExile.exe, which basically enabled windows xp (sp2) compatibility mode.
It worked fine seemingly, since game content (7GB overall) has been downloaded.
Then I went to my "Q:\Program Files (x86)\Path of Exile" directory to check if everything is okay, but there was nothing more just the initial game files (16MB Content.ggpk, etc).
But I was able to run the game nonetheless.
So I checked where the game was running from, and the path was "C:\windows\SysWOW64\PathOfExile.exe"
The other game files were there too, along with the 7GB Content.ggpk.

Any ideas?
Last edited by MC_Grinda on Jan 23, 2016, 5:19:09 AM
bump
When you ran the Troubleshooter, it ran the game with the "target directory" set as C:\Windows\SysWOW64

It does the same thing if you improperly set up a Shortcut with the wrong target directory, but correct location path.

Path of Exile uses "current directory" as the location of the install. When you ran the troubleshooter, it assumed "current directory" was not actually where you installed to.

Copy the Content.ggpk file from the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder (and whatever other PoE related files) to the Q:\ install of Path of Exile.

Right-click the PathOfExile.exe in the Q:\ location and "Run as Administrator".

That should hopefully download anything else remaining and the game should run.

I'd then go back and remove any PoE specific files from the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder unless you don't care about them being there (I'd for sure remove the Content.ggpk though as it takes up a lot of space needlessly).
"
Drakier wrote:
When you ran the Troubleshooter, it ran the game with the "target directory" set as C:\Windows\SysWOW64

It does the same thing if you improperly set up a Shortcut with the wrong target directory, but correct location path.

Path of Exile uses "current directory" as the location of the install. When you ran the troubleshooter, it assumed "current directory" was not actually where you installed to.

Copy the Content.ggpk file from the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder (and whatever other PoE related files) to the Q:\ install of Path of Exile.

Right-click the PathOfExile.exe in the Q:\ location and "Run as Administrator".

That should hopefully download anything else remaining and the game should run.

I'd then go back and remove any PoE specific files from the C:\Windows\SysWOW64 folder unless you don't care about them being there (I'd for sure remove the Content.ggpk though as it takes up a lot of space needlessly).

Thank you, it's working!
(Although we still don't know why was the updater stuck at Checking resources in the first place.)
Cheers.
Last edited by MC_Grinda on Jan 26, 2016, 5:47:49 AM
I have tried to run as administrator and it is still not getting past checking resources. This is rather frustrating
I ran into all these issues a few months back when re-installing PoE after a long gap. I was never able to resolve it. I was, though, able to install PoE through steam. Unfortunately, this is not a permanent option. My steam games are all installed on my HDD, not my small SSD that I use for windows and a few programs.

Every other game I have ever played works totally fine off the HDD except PoE, which takes ~4 minutes at the start screen, and anywhere from 30 seconds to infinite (allocation error) to load in game. It's simply un-playable at this point.

I want it on my SSD, apart from downloading through steam.

I have done all the things mentioned above and in many other posts.

The content.gppk reaches a listed files size of 16,835kb (instantly) and stays at that size. Through four separate attempts, the log file hangs on a different Requesting Folder. This time it's "Audio/Sound Effects/Falls/Hard 2440" - this is irrelevant, last time it was something completely different.

I have wasted two hours now today on this. The first install attempts took about 5 (all failures, as I ended up going through steam).

It's really weird how this problem has been a big issue for four years now, with no sound fix or help from GGG.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info