Guide to level 100 from 92 for bad players

Given 92 is the average level most players stop at, to go level other characters because the game punishes you harshly for death, stupidity and carelessness .

I realized just how pathetically bad, a player, i am only when i hit 92. Getting caught in the forever vicious cycle of its easy - gain 20-30% die and start all over again. I have cleared all tiers of maps deathless But the thing that makes me die is dumb random shit , or not so random if you look at the general premise of deaths..

The fact that you have gotten to 92 it means you have all the basics down and know how to level , what separates the elite from the bad players in the journey to 100 is the mindset and skill level and knowing and accepting how to pace yourself.. Seems simple enough but Apparently ( and we know) its not , else we would have a lot more players hitting 100 all the time instead of jumping to new characters which they feel are OP/Godlike ... ( and we would also not have this guide )

Three Not So simple rules we need to accept and be mindful off at all times

• Realize that no amount of good gear or equipment will save you from stupidity ...
  • Realize that in the journey to 100 There is no OP/Godlike build better than the other
  • Best way to survive is to avoid damage , don't get hit by that 1 shot crits Dont rush into packs without proper flasks up , or proper preparation.Have an escape skill at hand to run away and pace yourself in tough situations...Just don't get into tough situations... ( this i have found to be the toughest part when navigating , dark dreary maze-like maps)

First things first ... or in this case first things second..
  • 1 Frustration - of not getting anything decent...
  • 2 Greed - Rolling high quan't vaaled maps in hopes of getting something good and getting shit in return - goto 1.
  • 3 Getting Tired and annoyed at the slow map clearing , either due to mods , temp chains+ fracture
  • 4 The illusion of eazy mode due to having cleared higher and difficult maps but landing into sudden situations admis't what seems like hours of smooth sailing.-- To me this is the most deadliest of all the dumb shit i do.
  • 5 Getting very pissed and angry at the first death doing dumb shit which leads to many more chain of deaths...
  • 6 Playing when you are tired and sleepy --- need i say more?
  • RNG is RNG , you can get 3-4 maps of +1 from a blue map vs no maps on a 150+ quant vaaled map .... just buy the dammed maps if you are running short the T11's are cheap

Failing to realize the most basic things
  • 1 You can sustain T'11s from currency drops and random stuff to get that one good map that you are good at...
  • 2 Blue maps vs high quant valled maps don't give different exp.. the only mods that matter for map exp is rare monsters + pack size
  • 3 You can effectively chisel and roll blue maps and occasionally do lower tier maps to farm raw currency to just buy a higher tier maps in case you are on a string of no map returns..
  • 4 There are some map layouts and bosses that are just not worth the time when you are grinding for hours to get exp.
  • 5 The fact that you are grinding for hours to get exp makes you tired and do dumb shit....
  • 6 There are better map layouts than the dark maze type maps where you don't see the mob hidden in the room while you suddenly rush into it half asleep... only to waste spam your potions and die because you are in panic mode from getting blocked from movement in the middle of the mob.

Some map bosses to avoid just for the sake of consistency.... because there are many ways you can mess up and die.
  • 1 Malformation -> small room , restricts movement ,if you forget to temp chains you will get caught in the lightning balls trying to evade .. you will still get caught in the lightning
    balls because you are trying to kill mob/ avoid lazer and try to run around...
  • 2 Necropolis -> this is easy enough but with mods like chain- gmp ...too many things can go wrong...
  • 3 Crem- Megara seems easy for most part but when you mess up and step into her firestorm while trying to target her or run away between hits... you die pretty fast, unless you are a build focused with insane fire resistance + max over capped this is just not the boss to maintain consistency..

Mind you i have done every possible combination of map mods - some just took more time than the other but its very easy to get careless and die to a combination of them..

Some Map mods to avoid for the sake of sanity
  • * Temp chains
  • * Fracture
  • * No Regen -- this is very deadly when you are faced with no packs at a stretch- out of flask charges - too dumb enough to use port to refill because tired n sleepy and then you land into that sudden exile who jumps on your ass and lands that 1 crit to 1 shot you...

Thing you and I have to remember is when you are leveling past 92... its a grind fest.. having a consistent rolled map with easy terrain and simple 2 mods saves a lot of time and effort by letting you not die to dumb shit..

Note on the common dumb ways to die.
1. Cartoboxes - DO not open them without identifying them . spend that wisdom scroll
If you see freeze pop an anti freeze speed flask before opening and be ready to move away.
the safest way ive come to experience in opening any modboxes is this. have an anti freeze/burn quartz flask hit it open the box and run away from the mob to a safe distance.

Great Points By WARPAINTER

"
WARPAINTER wrote:
I don't have a lvl100 yet (I'm 98) but here's what I've picked up from experience and reading forums widely.

-Don't waste time idle in town/hideout.
-Buy chisels in bulk when the price is right. Same for other mapping currencies you get low on.
-Run maps quickly (don't try backtrack and hunt for monsters - just run it like gorge)
-Don't die. Best way to not die is to not try higher tier maps with spaz mods and Bosses that lock you in a small room of death. You can reach 100 in Tier11 + higher Tiers are a bonus but also can be a trap. Also don't focus on loot on the ground - it'll get you killed to things like bearers and devourers and what-not. Setup a loot filter so you can run and gun safely.
-If your goal is fast levelling... that should be your focus for currency and game time on that exile.
-Run maps chiseled and alch/chaosed with pack size/fracture no.1 priority (having said that don't waste buttloads of currency chasing it either). Maps will drop and you'll replenish if you chisel and alch. Or you'll be able to buy more maps if you start running low (See previous point).

Rinse and repeat til 100. That's my goal and steps to said goal.

Domine Non Es Dignus
Last edited by Zinja on Jan 20, 2016, 9:06:12 PM
Last bumped on Feb 18, 2017, 8:48:40 AM
Thanks for that list! One thing I would add is: Don't open strongboxes unless they're really really worth it (Cartographer's, Jeweller's with ivl 83 items etc), and even then spend some time rerolling for non-threatening mods. Strongboxes are my #1 cause of death just because of the amount of mods that will cause my screen to freeze for 2-3 seconds.

It hurts me a bit to think of running tier 11s blue, but for pure experience it might be ok.

I think that mentally the best way to proceed from level 92 is to not care for experience all too much because you'll lose your sanity otherwise. Play for the fun of killing monsters, play for better loot, and take the experience as a nice bonus (while still being careful of course).
scroogetemplar / scroogewitch / scroogemarauder

Freezing Pulser (safe + affordable): https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1529856
Last edited by scrooge999 on Jan 20, 2016, 3:00:44 AM
"
Zinja wrote:
Given 92 is the average level most players stop at

The number should be like level 40 lol.

But good start to a guide.
"
scrooge999 wrote:
Thanks for that list! One thing I would add is: Don't open strongboxes unless they're really really worth it (Cartographer's, Jeweller's with ivl 83 items etc), and even then spend some time rerolling for non-threatening mods. Strongboxes are my #1 cause of death just because of the amount of mods that will cause my screen to freeze for 2-3 seconds.

It hurts me a bit to think of running tier 11s blue, but for pure experience it might be ok.

I think that mentally the best way to proceed from level 92 is to not care for experience all too much because you'll lose your sanity otherwise. Play for the fun of killing monsters, play for better loot, and take the experience as a nice bonus (while still being careful of course).

good point , will add this.
Domine Non Es Dignus
I think a point to add is regarding builds and defense.

Many players still don't really have a good sense of what health and layers of defense is needed to not die ever.

Might be good to outline some good numbers to hit.
"
I think a point to add is regarding builds and defense.

Many players still don't really have a good sense of what health and layers of defense is needed to not die ever.

Might be good to outline some good numbers to hit.

to be really honest , to not die ever? i don't believe there is such a thing... though each

build/character has their own play style and health/defense by their build

Best way to survive is to avoid damage , don't get hit by that 1 shot crits

Dont rush into packs without proper flasks up , or proper preparation.

Have an escape skill at hand to run away and pace yourself in tough situations...

Just don't get into tough situations... ( this i have found to be the toughest part when navigating maze like dark dreary maps...)
Domine Non Es Dignus
I've rip'd a few hc chars at lv 92, never been higher. Is the cursed level I tell you :/ .
We tested it extensively
Last edited by Icholas on Jan 20, 2016, 4:01:35 AM
"
Icholas wrote:
I've rip'd a few hc chars at lv 92, never been higher. Is the cursed level I tell you :/ .

I totally agree , its the cursed an evil level.
Why? because most build's are complete at that level , putting you in a vicious cycle of ease of clear speed vs playing defensively .. because you have a decent enough clear speed and you have to grind a lot of hours to get little experience your focus shifts from playing defensively as in tough boss fight situations vs clearing the general map content ... sadly most of the deaths are in that general map content, when players are caught unaware .
Domine Non Es Dignus
I didn't understand your post. Should be a leveling guide? Or are you asking a guide to go level 100? Or it's a pro-memory for yourself? Just seen you are level 92.

anyway... nice code here

IGN: SeaLaser
Sea Builds, Characters, Shops, Links & Records:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/972683/
Last edited by RoyalStar on Jan 20, 2016, 4:35:10 AM
This is a poor guide.

It's just a bunch of semi-relevant anecdotes & no real strategies to help players level

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info