[0.10.1b] Infernal Blow/Molten Shell Explosive Marauder!

BUILD IN PROGRESS.

I'm going to be streaming the progress of this build, if you'd like to come check it out, visit my stream! http://www.twitch.tv/wearinbackpacks#

Passive Tree:
Here I go over the route taken in the passive tree, and explain what nodes I'm picking, when I pick them, and why I'm picking them. If you see anything you don't like, feel free to post about it, I'm always considering ways to improve the build!

Step 1: Let's Begin
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yLw==

A generic Marauder start. Pick up all the nodes up to the Diamond Skin node.

Step 2: Be Resolute
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7ayqcql82VnzwBqQVaeEGjg=

Move up to the life nodes, then pick up Resolute Technique. Since this build won't be getting any crit or accuracy, it is a must for this build.

Step 3: Elemental Attunement
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7ayqcql82VnzwBqQVaeEGjjsOFfid-UyiQSz8B-iABRNAnGpaClPgps=

Pick up Catalyse, then move over and get all the life nodes. Then, you can get either Slaughter or Swashbuckler, depending if you want to go with two handed, or one handed. Since this node only gives physical damage, and this build isn't based around physical damage, I would normally skip these nodes, but since they have the 20 strength, the node is worth taking.
After that, pick up Elementalist. All elemental damage will increase both the elemental damage on our weapon, but also the explosion damage that comes from Infernal Blow and Molten Shell.

Step 4: Boiling Blood
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7ayqcql82VnzwBqQVaeEGjjsOFfid-UyiQSz8B-iABRNAnGpaClPgpv3MvjrQaoUcQ48OlLfv6cwFCBQR57Nduc=

Move down and immediately get Blood Magic. This build won't be using very many auras, and won't be getting much mana regen, so it's a requirement. After that, move up and get the two 12% life nodes, and then get Lava Lash. Who doesn't love fire?

Step 5: Boom Goes The Dynamite

Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7ayqcql82VnzwBqQVaeEGjjsOFfid-UyiQSz8B-iABRNAnGpaClPgpv3MvjrQaoUcQ48OlLfv6cwFCBQR57NdufZYYM473w8BZ_fi4zhc-0gRtc=

You can do these in either order, depending if you need more damage, or more survivability:

1.)Back up to the Templar area, move up and get amplify. Since our Infernal Blow's explosion damage, and Molten Shell's explosion damage both scale off of these, it's well worth picking up. Then, work over to Celestial Walker, whilst getting all of the elemental damage nodes. Flat elemental damage scales so well with this build, since almost all of the damage we are doing is elemental, everything scales off of this.

2.)Generic life nodes just north from where we picked up Elementalist.

Step 6: Can't Stun This
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7ayqcql82VnzwBqQVaeEGjjsOFfid-UyiQSz8B-iABRNAnGpaClPgpv3MvjrQaoUcQ48OlLfv6cwFCBQR57NdufZYYM473w8BZ_fi4zhc-0gRtfkIhpsGYUkqjbp42qGYFYEYVKfyzIJYIgote9OQKAFLWBLeu907Q==

Now, moving back down to the bottom part of the tree, move down and get Unwavering Stance. Lots of things can stun you causing instant kills, so this is important. Also pick up Berserking, the added attack speed is nice. From here, move over and get Golem's Blood, and the three life nodes above it.

I'd like to note, at any point from now on, if you feel like you have enough survivability, you can pick up the Arsonist fire nodes northwest of Blood Magic. I won't be getting them for now, because it's impossible to tell what kind of gear you'll have at this point, but know that you can get them at any time if you so choose.

Step 7: Pass the Cap
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7ayqcql82VnzwBqQVaeEGjjsOFfid-UyiQSz8B-iABRNAnGpaClPgpv3MvjrQaoUcQ48OlLfv6cwFCBQR57NdufZYYM473w8BZ_fi4zhc-0gRtfkIhpsGYUkqjbp42qGYFYEYVKfyzIJYIgote9OQKAFLWBLeu907SFgdPGeufPdGNtbr90N_MVnoId2Sn2QCjqz

Moving east, pick up the second Diamond Skin node, bringing us to a grand total of +45% all elemental resistances from nodes. This will probably put you above the 75% cap for some resists if you have some decent gear by now. If so, get the Elemental Adaptation node right next to the Marauder starting point. This will allow you to have +80% in all resistances. After that, move up and get Thick Skin, followed by Might and Savant. Might for the slight damage boost, and base HP boost, and Savant for the increased levels on our auras.

Step 8: The Long Run
Spoiler
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBxthYY1BQjM_2SF8_VEnnUu8Oud3yL9SPGS4n7ayqcql82VnzwBqQVaeEGjjsOFfid-UyiQSz8B-iABRNAnGpaClPgpv3MvjrQaoUcQ48OlLfv6cwFCBQR57NdufZYYM473w8BZ_fi4zhc-0gRtfkIhpsGYUkqjbp42qGYFYEYVKfyzIJYIgote9OQKAFLWBLeu907SFgdPGeufPdGNtbr90N_MVnoId2Sn2QCjqzBg5j_SWtCfai6hLhVw2RzjrYLdI1hrnNnao9_Hy4KS73vlWpl7Ssug==

At this point, what you do is up to you. You can pick up more maximum endurance charges throughout the tree, you can pick up some more fire damage, you can get more life or armor. If you want, you can get the 2% physical life leech node. All of the core parts of this build are already completed, so only you will be able to choose what you want, weather it's surviability or damage, there are multiple options for either of these. Good luck!

Skills:
Here I will list the skills to be used and what supports should be linked to them. If you have any suggestions or questions, feel free to ask.
Spoiler

Infernal Blow + Weapon Elemental Damage > Life Leech > Increased Area of Effect > Fire Penetration > Faster Attacks

Molten Shell + Faster Casting > Increased Area of Effect > Life Leech

Anger + Wrath + Grace > Reduced Mana

Curse of Choice + Enduring Cry + Faster Casting + ???

What to look for on gear:
Spoiler
Note: All armor will be armor based armor. That means no energy shield, or eva pieces will be used, unless they're a vast upgrade above what you are currently using.

Weapon:
We're looking for a two handed or (or 1h, if you're using a shield) mace. The main thing you should be looking for on your weapon is elemental damage and attack speed. Since most of our damage nodes are elemental, elemental damage will scale the most. It scales even higher when you have lots of attack speed. Other stats that are nice to have include: Increased physical damage, skill gem levels, and resistances. Accuracy and crit are both useless, since we are using resolute technique.

Chest, Helm:
Both of these of these pieces should have life. If it doesn't have life, it's usually not worth getting. On top of life, we should also have a good amount of resistances. We are aiming to reach the cap of 80% resistances, so just about every piece of gear would normally have resistances on them. Flat armor and armor percentage mods are also very helpful. If you can get a roll with both of these, then they scale off of each other, leading to a very high amount of armor. Health regen is also nice to have, but should not be a primary stat looked form.

Gloves:
Everything above applies to gloves, but there are also some other stats that are very useful, and sometimes worth sacrificing a little bit of health, armor and resists for them. Those stats are elemental damage, and attack speed. Since gloves are the only piece of armor that can get these rolls, they're highly valued.

Boots: Everything about chest and helms apply to these, but on top of that, they should have movement speed.

Rings: You should have either a prismatic, coral, ruby, sapphire, or topaz ring. The stats you should be looking for on these are everything said about the chest, helm and gloves. We should be looking for a good mix of health, resistances, elemental damage, and attack speed on our rings.

Amulet: We should be using an onyx amulet. Everything about rings applies to amulets, but on top of that, all stats is also useful, particularly because it allows you to level your gems higher, while also giving you health.

See you, Space Cowboy...
Last edited by Origination on Feb 18, 2013, 5:54:05 AM
See you, Space Cowboy...
Thanks for the write up, I was planning on making a character very similar to this today and you answered almost all of my questions.

The only one I have left though... Is what do you recommend specifically for the weapons? I'm going to assume it's a mace obviously or not, but some maces have different inherent properties like stun duration etc. Should these be avoided for other suffixes?
IGN: Narbays
Going to be streaming my progress with this build -
http://www.twitch.tv/wearinbackpacks#
See you, Space Cowboy...
"
narbays wrote:
Thanks for the write up, I was planning on making a character very similar to this today and you answered almost all of my questions.

The only one I have left though... Is what do you recommend specifically for the weapons? I'm going to assume it's a mace obviously or not, but some maces have different inherent properties like stun duration etc. Should these be avoided for other suffixes?

Stun is alright, but I'm not going to be building specifically for it. It's a stat that is worth something, but not required.
See you, Space Cowboy...
My friend I am running a build close to this but I think your support gems are all wrong :)
I figured out this combo that lets you spec full tank with a 2hander but still 1shot everything!

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgEBAecCcQSzBS0OrRLhFCAUTRjbGS4aOBznIPAhYCftKLUpLimlLIUt0jIJMok1hja6Nug6UjqzOtg9_ECgQ5xE50p9TdhQR1BQVElVqVYEVw1X4lhjWfNaGluvXz9gS2CIYVJnoGoeajtyqXTtdPF253fleu97jHy4fNmGYId2jHaMz5AKkFWRzpe0naqeuZ7Nnz6fy6IAouqnMKeEqBipaKyqrLq5zbndu-3AGsbY0iHZYd0N37_nUuw47w7vTvAf8i_ynPPd9kj3vvzF

This here focus' more on survivability. Remember, at max difficulty you're at -60 resists and even with this build you will need items with more resists and lots of chaos if you afford it.

Frenzy charge is specifically useful for bosses but you can drop it if it's not your flavor.
You might as well get iron reflexes since you won't be able to evade and with the grace aura you will be able to have atleast a little physical mitigation.

Furthermore, you will be able to use the "X" button to switch between two hander and 1h/shield and maintain equal effectiveness (sometimes you'll need that additional blocking!!)

Now you ask, but Haluf, how do you do any damage with a spec like this?

The magic is all in the support gems my friend. Hear me out, hear me out.

So the way infernal blow works, all of your physical damage modifiers are applied BEFORE it's cut in half. This means your elemental damage is directly proportional to half of your physical damage modifiers and Strength which is also boosting your life which is ALSO being boosted by your increased life modifiers.

Now check this:
Infernal -> Melee Physical -> Added Fire -> Weapon Elemental Damage -> Life Leach -> Fast Attacks or Fire penetration (personally like fast attacks here)
The math goes as follows.
Added fire damage is not based on your halved physical damage from infernal blow but from your FULL physical damage even AFTER the Melee physical support gem. So the melee physical support gem is boosting your added fire and boosting your fire damage from infernal blow (since it's a 50% split.) Weapon elemental damage now boosts that by 70+ %. Elemental damage support gem also boosts damage from items/anger aura which I run along with grace.
The reason why we have lifeleach support? It does life leach on ALL damage (including elemental) You have to understand this is amazing because more than 75% of your damage will be fire at this point.
Flammability curse is a fun one to run but so is warlord's curse.

The only time you want elemental/fire modifiers is if it's double % wise than the physical damage option.

The support damage is all based off having a high damaging weapon, so there's no real need to go crazy on the damage passives! (I like AXES!)
I am almost 58 and that's when I'm going to FEAST on the Kaom's Primacy that has CULLING built in.

Up into my late 40s I could 1 shot anything when soloing.
Contact me in game!

note:
added fire support is rediculous because it's the only support gem that is added from % of physical damage which is all modified from str/passives etc.
Last edited by Kitono on Feb 17, 2013, 1:45:48 AM
So yes on 1h 2h maces, but prefer to use one that doesn't have stun suffix
IGN: Narbays
"
narbays wrote:
So yes on 1h 2h maces, but prefer to use one that doesn't have stun suffix

I'm actually not 100% sure on weapons right now. I think that elemental hit is going to be better in the long run, it just has a high dex requirement, which this build doesn't have much of. I think ele hit will work best with this build, and if able to switch over to ele hit at some point, you're no longer bound to using any specific weapons. I'll experiment with it some more once I get to a higher level and I'll get back to you.
See you, Space Cowboy...
Origination what level are you up to now? Was wondering if your first build post or the 2nd comment right below it where you went higher into the top of the tree for more Area increase was your preferred build atm?
Kinda depressing if this build is worthless because Elemental Hit would be better because it requires 140 dex to max out, which would mean the best class to use Ele Hit is a Shadow.

Would be nice to know an Infernal Blow Marauder isnt just a crappy version of an Ele Hit Shadow.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info