Display driver stopped responding into hardlock

I've been having this issue with PoE exclusively where the display driver will stop responding, manage to recover after 1-5 seconds, and then after it happens perhaps once or twice it will fully hardlock & not accept any commands so I need to turn the computer off & on again.

I'm using a 780 Nvidia card, I have this issue with old & new drivers, on windows 7 & on 10 as well after I upgraded and no other game is affected at all.

I've tried replacing all peripherals, tried playing with out sound, fullscreen / windowed, settings at high and low and I've literally no clue why this would be happening with just one game when I crush every thing else at 140+ fps.

Frame time will jump from like 5-7ms to 500+ for a short while, fps will drop down to single digits from being perfectly acceptable before & then image freezes on screen, no sound plays I cant alt tab or ctrl-alt-delete, its infuriating...

Last bumped on May 30, 2016, 12:36:19 PM
Im having the same issue.

Every day the game locks up my computer with that same message "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered".. can't alt tab or quit.. have to force power off computer.

I bought a new computer because I thought that was the issue, but am having the same problem.

Please help, support team!
I have been having this issue as well recently, with very similar hardware and troubleshooting attempts as OP. No such issues with other games or applications. Is there an official word on or suggested remedy for this problem? Sometimes this happens when there isn't even anything of consequence taking place on screen (i.e. porting back to hideout after a completed daily mission)

Edit:

Two diagnostic options I have not yet attempted:

"
kompaniet wrote:
I had the same problem with my ati card too. I solved it by going to control panel - system and security - power options - change plan settings - change advanced power settings.

Scroll down to pci express and set link state power management to 'off'
Now click Ok and you should be good to go.

For some reason the graphics card goes into power saving mode or something.

Hope it works for you too.

"
Drakier wrote:
And you've set a profile inside your Nvidia control panel for Path of Exile (PathOfExile.exe) and set it to maximum performance?

Will try one or both of these tonight and report my results.
Last edited by sabrewulf1159 on May 10, 2016, 11:47:04 AM
Noooooo it just happened!!!

God damnit

Oh shit i replied in the wrong thread.
Last edited by Krayken on May 10, 2016, 8:58:09 PM
"
sabrewulf1159 wrote:
I have been having this issue as well recently, with very similar hardware and troubleshooting attempts as OP. No such issues with other games or applications. Is there an official word on or suggested remedy for this problem? Sometimes this happens when there isn't even anything of consequence taking place on screen (i.e. porting back to hideout after a completed daily mission)

Edit:

Two diagnostic options I have not yet attempted:

"
kompaniet wrote:
Scroll down to pci express and set link state power management to 'off'

"
Drakier wrote:
And you've set a profile inside your Nvidia control panel for Path of Exile (PathOfExile.exe) and set it to maximum performance?

Will try one or both of these tonight and report my results.

Well neither of these worked (nor both together). 3x "stopped responding" errors w/ corresponding boot to login screen this evening. It would be easy to blame my GPU or power supply, but I don't have this issue with ANY other program or game on my system, and a lot of the time it's happening after all the monsters have died or I'm porting back to the hideout.

Anyone else have any ideas/suggestions?
You should start using vsync maybe, poe spikes a lot and puts an insane load on ur gpu while spiking.

I also posted in the techincal support section about fps spiking - just to show the interactions of ingame settings with ur actual fps behavior. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1660181
> Alt Arts for Sale: /view-thread/3260276

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!
Last edited by Doe on May 11, 2016, 4:18:03 AM
You are not alone. I have had these issues and the lag issues and been trying to sort out the problem for a while.

I do have one other condition that may affect this. Notice if you using public tabs and if a poe.trade window is open?
Same problem for me. I just installed the game for the first time and it crashed within a minute of playing. It's smooth at first, then starts flashing, then freezes for a few seconds, then crashes. Windows 8.1 64 bit, GTX660, NVIDIA driver 365.10
Decided to start eliminating hardware factors last night. Replaced my GPU with another and had the same issue, so I left the machine running memtest86 overnight and found it had produced 2 errors by morning. I'm going to try to isolate the bad modules (or perhaps it's just a motherboard issue with having too many modules) and play without them to see if it alleviates the issue. If not, I plan on swapping out the power supply to test and compare.

I will post my results.
Last edited by sabrewulf1159 on May 12, 2016, 4:03:55 PM
Alright, so even with the bad RAM modules removed, a new video card, and a fresh install of Windows, I'm still getting intermittent "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered." errors. Nothing else but PoE is causing this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info