PSA: Understanding map drop streaks

Look guys, a poorly argued dissenting opinion! DOGPILE!

Actually, let's not, and say we did. Save some pages that way.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jan 11, 2016, 8:47:55 PM
@ScrotieMcB: again, thanks for explaining this in detail. It sure opened my eyes.

Here, have a cookie!
Spoiler
Cheers, i take intuitively being aware of this for granted i suppose.

But i guess a lot of people cannot comprehend stuff like this in a grand enough scale to put it aside them and simply "carry on" enjoying themselves.

I simply look at my own progression on a league per league basis. Not once did i not end up chaining top-end maps solo. Does it take effort and time, obviously, it is still a game. Being challenging and requiring some effort is a prerequisite for fulfillment in my opinion.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:
But i guess a lot of people cannot comprehend stuff like this in a grand enough scale to put it aside them and simply "carry on" enjoying themselves.

I'm of the opinion that the majority of people cannot process large numbers or statistics.
"
Boem wrote:
Cheers, i take intuitively being aware of this for granted i suppose.

I simply look at my own progression on a league per league basis. Not once did i not end up chaining top-end maps solo. Does it take effort and time, obviously, it is still a game. Being challenging and requiring some effort is a prerequisite for fulfillment in my opinion.

Peace,

-Boem-

What is "chaining top-end maps" for you? Are we talking T9+? T11+? Higher?
Remove Horticrafting station storage limit.
"
Char1983 wrote:

What is "chaining top-end maps" for you? Are we talking T9+? T11+? Higher?

In the pre-tier mapping system 77/78 maps constantly.(so highest possible maps achievable)

In the new-tier system lvl 76/77/78 maps with regular spikes up to 80+.(which comes to the same "over-time" experience gain in my opinion, but offers a much higher variance in tile-set and content)

All in all a big improvement over running the same 4 maps on rotation in past league's.
(though admittedly, i miss my shrine and shipyards a bit, those are lovely designed maps, but i am very pleased with the higher variance as a trade-off, i love fidelitas in top maps for example)

So yes, i chain t9's to gather currency or to "chill" xp gain and chain 11+ for hard xp gains.(as mostly a solo player not all that concerned with trading, i need to naturally do a rotation for chissels etc from time to time if i can't be bothered to trade for sets of them)

Peace,

-Boem-
"
"
Boem wrote:

I'm of the opinion that the majority of people cannot process large numbers or statistics.

That's because they're not intuitive at all. We haven't evolved to process such things because they never mattered for our survival.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
Xavderion wrote:
"
"
Boem wrote:

That's because they're not intuitive at all. We haven't evolved to process such things because they never mattered for our survival.

off-topic
I disagree, or you worded it poorly. They are relevant to our macro-survival, but not to our micro-survival. And since current society emphasizes greatly on being "unique" and "developed" on a micro scale there is no room for personal macro development. Which is considered redundant and non-relevant by current society standards.

I don't have the vocabulary to say it otherwise, but i figure you understand what i am pointing at.

Peace,

-Boem-
So for people who live in the small sample set (actual players) 36% (or whatever based on your input numbers) are simply going to get gated out of content, but can have a contented glow that other people have 'lucky' drops streaks.

Hope the 36% enjoy their low maps before they quit (and go to HS like Scrotie)!
I call

Unless GGG is willing to say that yes map drops are always a flat chance to begin with 1/10000 to use your example then all that math is..... well, just random math.

It's much more likely that each map rolls a base chance when put into a map device ( yeah RNG to the max ) and from there the quality and quantity on the map are multiplied against that random base chance.

For more fun do the same math with a random base chance between 1/10,000 and 1/100,000 or 1/10000 through 1/10000000000000000000000000000000000
echo "The world is full of smart people" |sed -e 's/smart people/sheep/'

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info