Having trouble with my ranger

I find it much more difficult to play this class than any other.

DPS aside, Split arrow skill seems to spend A LOT of mana.
I can't drink enough potions to make it worthwhile. And DPS from the skill doesn't seem to do do wonders for me even when active.

I am currently level 14.

Does anyone else have trouble playing the class or am I doing something wrong?
Have you tried using rain of arrows? Should be pretty good to get you through low levels, until you can get a multiple projectiles gem (for frenzy, explosive arrow, or poison arrow.. possibly even elemental hit).
IGN: Jerk, Princess

http://orbswap.info - the easy way to trade currency
You are doing it wrong.
I never had big mana issues, i just needed to keep my mana flasks upgraded and chug them often to be able to spam my skills.
If you feel you won't be able to deal with the mana costs, don't level up your Split Arrow gem after you get 4 projectiles (or keep 2 Split Arrows to check on mana costs, that's what i did).
Ive noticed poison arrow is a much better contender in aoe damage early game, plus its amazing on bosses.
Explosion Arrow is really good now from my point of view. Through still a mana eater.
I just started playing a bow Ranger in .95, last time I tried the class build was in .92, and I find it ridiculously easy.

I use the default attack as my main DPS, I see no reason to change it, it does great damage and saves on mana. The other skills I use are Elemental Hit, Poison Arrow, Temporal Chains and Rain of Arrows. That's it. No mana, dps, speed, or damage mitigation issues whatsoever.

Explosive Arrow is great but very mana hungry, if you have issues with mana then don't use it. Split Arrow is ok but not essential, it's not a skill for me. Frenzy is not necessary, in fact I even wasted points on the charge passives thinking that I would have no choice but to use frenzy to remain viable. Now I'm level 42 and ready to use up my respec points.

Early on, mana is an issue for every character. Once you start gaining levels and acquiring better flasks and flask mods things get much easier.
Last edited by FaceLicker on Dec 27, 2011, 1:28:27 PM
"
FaceLicker wrote:
I just started playing a bow Ranger in .95, last time I tried the class build was in .92, and I find it ridiculously easy.

I use the default attack as my main DPS, I see no reason to change it, it does great damage and saves on mana. The other skills I use are Elemental Hit, Poison Arrow, Temporal Chains and Rain of Arrows. That's it. No mana, dps, speed, or damage mitigation issues whatsoever.

Explosive Arrow is great but very mana hungry, if you have issues with mana then don't use it. Split Arrow is ok but not essential, it's not a skill for me. Frenzy is not necessary, in fact I even wasted points on the charge passives thinking that I would have no choice but to use frenzy to remain viable. Now I'm level 42 and ready to use up my respec points.

Early on, mana is an issue for every character. Once you start gaining levels and acquiring better flasks and flask mods things get much easier.

i pretty much agree with this with regards to frenzy. i took 4 clusters of frenzy passives to get up to 6, but with new mana restrictions + mousing over all items now in hopes of quality i tend to play whole maps without even charging up.

i think the main issue is people were running around spamming skills that had 1-2 supports each and never worried about mana...now they have to make choices. mine may be to drop frenzy passives totally and put those points towards other uses like mana and more bow dps/defense.

~SotW HC Guild~

Ok, my ranger just recieved some item upgrades, and the experience of playing it is much more enjoyable, although I still must take issues with mana cost of spells.

I am not sure that there was a possibility of something being done 'wrong' - my skills were mana hungry from the start, in spite of putting some passives into mana.

Argument that this is an issue with low level characters could be true though, so I'll keep playing to verify that.

If the constant crashes in the game let me... :(
"
Ok, my ranger just recieved some item upgrades, and the experience of playing it is much more enjoyable, although I still must take issues with mana cost of spells.

I am not sure that there was a possibility of something being done 'wrong' - my skills were mana hungry from the start, in spite of putting some passives into mana.

Argument that this is an issue with low level characters could be true though, so I'll keep playing to verify that.

If the constant crashes in the game let me... :(

Try to get as many +mana items as you can. More max mana also means more mana regeneration per second.

My witch would never survive mana costs (frost nova 45 mana per cast) if I didn't have both rings with +mana and amulet with +20 to all stats and +int. I also have some +mana on some other items. You still won't have mana as much as I do but I am sure you split arrow is not 45 mana either.

"
This is a point that GGG wanted to make on a lot of skills. Early on, when you're just a newb, you really arent proficient and you have a small mana pool. Using skills at this stage would undoubtedly require a lot of effort. As you level up and gain more mana and gain more skill, the mana cost begins to flatten out and you're able to use your skills for greater lengths of time. This also plays into a gameplay balance issue. The beginning of the game is meant to make players feel 'powerful' without actually having them too powerful. You can easily blow through the first difficulty with just your basic attack and maybe 1-2 skills. As you progress, the difficulty increases and you need a proportionate amount of firepower to remain as effective.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info