Diablo 2 vs Diablo 3 your thoughts

I know many times Diablo 3 has been compared to Path of Exile, but as I was watching today the speedrun of Diablo 2 goods memories of that game started to came back to me. And now I wonder what are the thoughts of everyone here who played both game. Which one is your favourite Diablo 2 or Diablo 3? and more importanly Why?
Diablo 2 hands down for too many reasons to list. Mainly, at no point in D3 do you ever feel like you could fuck your character up. Horrible loot system. Cartoony graphics. The list goes on and on. I honestly don't see why people are still playing that game, but I'm sure they are saying the same thing about PoE. lol

Hell, this game feels more like D3 than the real D3 does to me. :P
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
I love em both but I played enough d2 to last a few life times.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
I didn't really bothered to get D3, it's a crazy cash grab and I refuse to support ones which created that abomination. D2 was and remains a masterpiece.
They are very different games that play very differently.

I loved D2, played it for years, and I found it immensely suitable for solo HC play (after they fixed stuff like stair traps, FE champions, etc.). It was a great slot machine, really, and for some reason it rarely annoyed or frustrated me.

When I lost characters, I never felt it was unfair, and I never got one-shot. Every time, I just had played poorly. A satisfying game that did a lot right, and I wish they had kept working on it after LoD and released proper expansions. (I'll say I really did not care for 1.10 with guest monsters in hell and immunities.)

D3, well, the launch was rocky. D2's was too, with a lot of rollbacks and server crashes, but D3 was also poorly designed. I played with a few WoW friends and we had fun right until Inferno. Then the whole experience turned sour and I had never had so genuinely little fun in a game that I had been looking forward to. It was just terrible. We all quit within a month.

A few months ago I picked up RoS, mostly because I wanted the WoW pet that came with it, and it was a totally different game experience. It seemed like they had gone from one extreme (painstaking and frustrating) to the other (easy and free loot). It had a strong arcade feel to it. The free loot seemed good at first, particularly when you've played PoE in a solo self-found way for some time, but once I realized that only set items really matter, and that I couldn't really farm gear for other classes, a lot of the slot machine attraction evaporated.

What really turned me off about D3 is the complete invalidation of leveling content. You're essentially supposed to get power-rushed to level 70 and then do rifts and bounties. It's like the game only has end-game. PoE also focuses on mapping, but there is some actual game before, something that actually matters in some way. Not so in D3.

Then there is the extreme imbalance between group and solo play. The XP penalties for playing solo are severe compared to group play. Not only are you at a disadvantage for not having synergies with other players, but the XP/hour ratio is so ridiculously biased for group play that playing solo feels completely futile. It's the only game where I felt that playing solo is almost a waste of time.

That said, I also like things about D3. It's very accessible, very responsive, performs great on even weaker systems, and the physics effects in combat are fantastic. It feels fast-paced and action-loaded, and very vibrant and alive. The gameplay is notably fluid and smooth, and it's fun -- for two or three weeks. I also like the bounties they introduced, and that new cube thing.

Kind of considering to give it a spin again when the new season starts on the 15th, but if I do, then I'll probably bump into the above mentioned issues again and be done after a week or three.
"
Ward wrote:
I didn't really bothered to get D3, it's a crazy cash grab and I refuse to support ones which created that abomination. D2 was and remains a masterpiece.

I can't believe I'm doing this but here it goes... Blizzard has put in tons of work into supporting and expanding D3, the game is nothing like it was when they released it in vanilla state. Calling D3 a cash grab is not fair no matter how salty you are about it being a rather bad D2 successor (and believe me, I was salty as fuck). It's a very good game for what it wants to be and since we now have two great alternatives to D2 (PoE and Grim Dawn) there's no need to bash it. I very much look forward to coming home tomorrow and rolling another Barb in the new season.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I think the more interesting question is:

Diablo 1 vs Diablo 2
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
I can play D3 for a few weeks no prob.

It's pretty fast paced and has extremely low "entry level" requirements on the player.

Which is it's forté and weakness at the same time, there is nothing that compels me to engage with it for a very long time.

The one thing i love about D3 is the action system and how vibrant it feels to play something like a monk.

So yeah, solid for a few weeks of fun until your decked out but then downwards when it all loses a sense of purpose.

D2 was solid, but i have a hard time comparing it to stuff nowadays, since i only played it solo off-line which gave it another layer of intrinsic value to me. The only multiplayer stuff i did was pvp over lan with some mates on "jamella" i think it was called(the hack tool) produced characters.

We just made decked out chars and then entertained ourselves with pvp for an afternoon etc :) good stuff.

A lot of these games nowadays have this, sure you can play them solo etc, but it doesn't feel the same with the constant "xxx gone offline" messages and notification detracting from the immersion. Disregarding the fact most games lack the depth and visual art to actually immerse a player properly in my opinion.

Bottom line is, i enjoy them for what they are. Just like how i enjoy PoE for what it is.

I see no reason not to.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Antnee wrote:
I think the more interesting question is:

Diablo 1 vs Diablo 2

D1 for everything else, D2 for gameplay and depth.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
I feel that, as many people have said, D3 is good in it's own right. I feel it's a good local multiplayer game (which is lacking in a lot of games these days). I just don't feel it has the elements to keep me intrigued for a long while and as such I'll never spend my money on it. I gladly play it when I go over to a friends house who owns it on a console though.

In regards to D1 to D2, we didn't have a computer when D1 came out so I was never able to play it.
Not my real account anymore, use it for forums while I work
You might also know me as "Thisisnotmyrealaccount" to which I forgot the E-mail for.
My real account is Einkil1, it's my steam account which is why I can't access it at work >.>
Last edited by Einkil on Jan 13, 2016, 2:52:31 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info