[2.1] (WIP) cha_siu_bao's Crit Physical Trapper

This is by no means a unique build. Other players are running very similar specs, and in the end I hope to gather together a list of useful guides that showcase different specializations of bladefall (and other physical) traps.

Please feel free to weigh in, share your opinion on the build idea, share other similar builds, anything. Thanks in advance for reading.

If you'd like to see this build in action, cha_cha_binks is currently level 91 in the Talisman hardcore league. Click here to watch it live.
-------------------------
Don't be fooled by dodge and evasion; this build does not mitigate damage. These mechanics are a safety net, for when the player fails to manually avoid damage.

A crit trapper lives by flasks and player skill alone. So put on your tryhard hat and serious pants and find a meat shield to stand behind, because minor misplays mean instant death in high maps.

-------------------------
The overall concept:
-high burst damage
-high mobility
-high skill cap
-big risks, bigger rewards

The focal points on the tree:
-life (all 160% of it)
-trap damage
-trap throwing speed
-trap cooldowns
-global critical strike chance
-global crit multiplier
-physical damage

Gem Links

Bear Trap - Trap & Mine Damage - Increased Critical Strikes - Poison
Bladefall - Trap - Multiple Traps - Trap & Mine Damage - Increased Critical Strikes/Damage
Ethereal Knives - Trap - Multiple Traps - Trap & Mine Damage
Vaal Lightning Trap - Greater Multiple Projectiles - Increased Duration

But cha, why Poison in your Bear Trap instead of Added Fire?

Arguments for Poison
-this skill tree scales chaos damage more than it does ignite damage
-Bear Trap will cause a degen all the time, instead of only when it crits
-poison degen can stack, so no DoT is lost if I spam Bear Traps at a target
-monsters turn green. Clearly OP

Arguments for Added Fire
-highest tooltip damage
-great in solo play, easier to three-shot rares and bosses
-synergy with Herald of Ash for ignites with decent damage (when Bear Trap crits)

Food for thought: Added Fire is a strength gem, while this trapper lives in dex and int territory. Remove Added Fire (from bear trap) and Increased Duration (from Vaal lightning trap) and suddenly the strength requirements are gone. My trapper currently has two +30 strength nodes in the tree that could be spent elsewhere if I made this change.

Bandits

Oak / Kill 'em All / Alira

Current Gear

previous gear

But cha, why no spell crit?

Bear Trap is not a spell. Points spent on spell damage or spell crit are only helpful for Bladefall and EK. My focus was to scale the damage of a variety of physical traps: Bear Trap, Etheral Knives, and Bladefall.

But cha, why a rare dagger and not Divinarius?

or

As the rare dagger gets better, all builds will find it more effective; but there's no denying the quality of life given by Divinarius' increased AOE. This particular kris is only slightly higher in DPS than Divinarius (measured in average damage on the tooltip). This build only uses one AOE skill, so a rare dagger with high global crit chance is a very high priority.

I wanna do it! But cha, how do I level?

Red socket? Flame Totem!
Green socket? Fire Trap!
Blue socket? Lightning Trap!

My favorite: elemental traps

Start with Fire Trap and Freezing Pulse. Buy Ethereal Knives and put it in your weapon swap. Grab Bear Trap and Lightning Trap when available. Abandon Freezing Pulse after Merveil. If you can befriend a witch or templar, ask them to buy you Firestorm and Flame Totem before you start Act 2. Bladefall becomes available in Act 3. Level it up, switch to it immediately, whatever you like.

Got a witch/templar friend?
Multi-traps for AOE: Firestorm - Conc Effect // Lightning Trap - Added Lightning - Trap Damage
Single target traps: Fire Trap - Conc Effect - Trap Damage // Bear Trap - Added Fire - Trap Damage

No witch/templar friend?
Multi-traps for AOE: Fire Trap - Trap Damage - Conc Effect
Single target traps: Flame Surge - Trap Damage // Bear Trap - Added Fire - Trap Damage

Here's my passive tree at around level 50. There are 13 points in this tree that will be pulled using free respec points. I switched to Bladefall traps at around level 48.

bladefall wow what a surprise QQ pls nerf

Level with Fire Trap, Freezing Pulse, and Flame Surge. Have Ethereal Knives and Bear Trap leveling in your weapon swap.
Bladefall gem links? Pretty much anything. Pick something that adds damage. It'll truck stuff.

Here's how I would level with Bladefall. It requires zero respec points. It also takes care of dexterity requirements early, ensuring you'll be able to keep leveling the important dex-based gems.

'But I love Flame Totem!' -everyone

Fire Trap, Flame Totem, Flame Surge, Firestorm multi-traps
Night's Hold Talisman thingy + Abberath's Horn + Lifesprig + Pyre = faster than GucciPradas in Australia

And this is where I'd stick it. This tree has 12 points that will be pulled using free respec points. It's intelligence-heavy, so dexterity on gear will be necessary to keep leveling the important gems.

Last edited by cha_siu_bao on Dec 31, 2015, 7:32:04 AM
first
this is the best build i've ever seen in my time playing poe. great job i got to level 90 with it.
Ignorance usually lasts longer than a weekend.

But then again, a god doesn't freely share his knowledge with mortals ...
"
first

But first, you say...
Would be nice If you can add some YT movie
what is your bandit choice?
. lel
Last edited by gtrans on Dec 24, 2015, 8:53:16 PM
"
what is your bandit choice?

Oak / Kill / Alira

I didn't realize I'd forgotten to add that. I'll put it in the main body.
Hi, what would your 6th Link on the bladefall be?

Bladefall - Trap - Multiple Traps - Trap & Mine Damage - Increased Critical Strikes - Increased Crit Dmg?
Incredibly fun build to play, and quite powerful as well. However I seem to be struggling with MANA, is there any obvious item or passives that I've missed that help with this?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info