Concerning Srs/minion AI

I'm running a very squishy dual wand pure summoner witch - zombies, skeletons, 2 spectres, chaos golem, echo'ed SRS, vaal skeletons. Lvl 47, spec is pretty much everything on minion nodes: number of minions, damage etc. + Minion Instability; thus nothing much in terms of life / shield passives. This was generally of little issue as the summons swarmed the mobs sufficiently fast to cover my summoner.

The AI change seems to have affected SRS and AW the worst - they waste time floating around.
Zombies and skeletons appear slower to respond to whatever closes in on the summoner.
The AI also seems to handle Malachai poorly - the summons don't react well to Malachai's invulnerability phases and the 3 hearts. This may also be a Malachai-specific issue, but he seems to preferrably aim long-range abilities at the summoner, stoically ignoring being swarmed in the melee with summons. Being squishy, my witch would like to see the summons generate more aggro than they do now.

An AI scheme choice with schemes like "attack random" / "attack closest" / "attack closest to summoner" / "attack weakest in range" etc. to affect minions would be the possibly most flexible, but most difficult to implement idea. Best case, the summoners would be able to adjust the behaviour of each summoning gem separately. Normal case, just being able to adjust what the horde of 40+ things (that's 8 zombies, 11 skeletons, 2 spectres, 19-20 skulls and the golem) is doing - above the ability to convocate them to my summoner - would be a large boon.

Barring that, I'd wish for hard-coded different AI schemes on different summons, so that depending on what you summon you get a differently aimed skill. Simplest example: zombies stick to summoner and attack whatever attacks summoner / skeletons attack weakest in range / SRS attacks at random (as in "raging").

On a similar note, the Animated Guardian AI would really profit from having the ability to retreat, e.g. when on low life. Assuming that's a little too much effort on a single skill's AI, it would be nice to at least make following the summoner a higher priority to the Guardian, allowing the player to retreat both summoner and Guardian when swarmed / overwhelmed on a spot.
"
jlt314 wrote:
I'm running a very squishy dual wand pure summoner witch - zombies, skeletons, 2 spectres, chaos golem, echo'ed SRS, vaal skeletons. Lvl 47, spec is pretty much everything on minion nodes: number of minions, damage etc. + Minion Instability; thus nothing much in terms of life / shield passives. This was generally of little issue as the summons swarmed the mobs sufficiently fast to cover my summoner.

The AI change seems to have affected SRS and AW the worst - they waste time floating around.
Zombies and skeletons appear slower to respond to whatever closes in on the summoner.
The AI also seems to handle Malachai poorly - the summons don't react well to Malachai's invulnerability phases and the 3 hearts. This may also be a Malachai-specific issue, but he seems to preferrably aim long-range abilities at the summoner, stoically ignoring being swarmed in the melee with summons. Being squishy, my witch would like to see the summons generate more aggro than they do now.

An AI scheme choice with schemes like "attack random" / "attack closest" / "attack closest to summoner" / "attack weakest in range" etc. to affect minions would be the possibly most flexible, but most difficult to implement idea. Best case, the summoners would be able to adjust the behaviour of each summoning gem separately. Normal case, just being able to adjust what the horde of 40+ things (that's 8 zombies, 11 skeletons, 2 spectres, 19-20 skulls and the golem) is doing - above the ability to convocate them to my summoner - would be a large boon.

Barring that, I'd wish for hard-coded different AI schemes on different summons, so that depending on what you summon you get a differently aimed skill. Simplest example: zombies stick to summoner and attack whatever attacks summoner / skeletons attack weakest in range / SRS attacks at random (as in "raging").

On a similar note, the Animated Guardian AI would really profit from having the ability to retreat, e.g. when on low life. Assuming that's a little too much effort on a single skill's AI, it would be nice to at least make following the summoner a higher priority to the Guardian, allowing the player to retreat both summoner and Guardian when swarmed / overwhelmed on a spot.

Keep ur experiences comming guys, GGG cant ignore this forever
Tried Atziri yesterday out of curiostiy (and for the challenge) on my lvl 85 SRS Witch in Talisman SC.

My gear isn't the best out there but it was easily enough to do Atziri in 2.0. My damage was "okay", it wasn't OP or extremly fast but it was sufficiant to clear Vaals, Trio and trash just fine - i can't complain.

Then i faced Atziri - first phase was no problem at all - until split phase - all my SRS where spreading out on all 4 clones and didn't start to focus 1 clone as in 2.0; as you can imagine i got rekt because my uncoordinated spirits did basically no damage - i couldn't continiue and finish the fight due to the nature of SRS (ramp up) and because of the new AI where the simply would not focus on one clone.

Atziri runs with SRS are now horrible and you can't do anything about it yourself because it isn't your fault that you fail - it is the new AI.

In maps and normal gameplay it is the same problem - SRS just won't focus the most threatening or closest target to the caster which leaves you very vulenrable. It is very unsatisfying to play with SRS new in 2.1 compared to earlier versions of the game.

I made a SRS character in Talisman as my first one out of curiosity to test the new AI to see how much it has been "improved" regardless of the nerf to SRS itself - i am very disapointed in GGG regarding this change - it feels like they don't test things enough before they realease them.
general +1 to "the new AI is weak and needs to be fixed"

also this thread:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1515621/page/1/#p12300619
I'm using SRS in Talisman. Despite the fact that earlier in standard I used a lvl 94 character with SRS, I wanted to see the behavior in a new character from scratch. Sometimes even funny how most SRS avoid some monster close to me and decide to go for another monster much further, leaving me helpless for a few seconds... Soooooo much fun...
Bethesda is known for having good ideas and terrible realization of them. GGG is a Bethesda subsidiary or what?
Bump
Bump
Minions must protect their master! But they don't. That's the problem.
So SRS and minions with limited duration must attack nearest target to summoner. Other minions must switch to targets which attack summoner. And of course minions must not retreat or stay idle!
"
Max_ak wrote:
Minions must protect their master! But they don't. That's the problem.
So SRS and minions with limited duration must attack nearest target to summoner. Other minions must switch to targets which attack summoner. And of course minions must not retreat or stay idle!

Well, minions DOESNT HAVE TO protect master, just attack the monster nearest to the minion. and the minions who should follow the caster should have a circle with a xx-radius detector in 2 stages, the smallest circle should activate minions to start follow caster, largest circle should teleport the minion to the caster or make em start moving towards the smaller circle(in this case we need a 3 circle for the teleport spawn thingy).

Last edited by DanishGrinder on Jan 1, 2016, 6:46:34 AM
I would guess part of the problem might be that minions try to crawl into whatever direction you cast/attack. So if you enfeeble that mob a little bit ahead of you, your minions will go there as well, leaving you unprotected. Only a small part of it, though.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info