Star Wars- Spoiler Alert!

Like everyone else I know who watched it, I thought it was great.

No wonder it has such a high rotten tomatoes score and is shattering all box office records.
So I just watched this movie. Yeah I really enjoyed it, I didnt have any expectations, my feeling from the moment I decided to go see it was "I really hope I get through this without cringing so hard I pull a muscle in my face" and actually, was pretty far from cringing throughout.

the only bit that got me was the falcon being there, that was just a jump of credibility too far even for something as preposterous as the star wars universe.

It is utter nonsense though, the entire star wars thing was born in nonsense, loved for nonsense, will always be nonsense. If you like any star wars film you have an ability to just accept the nonsense and enjoy the fantasy fun of the thing. I think it had that, I really liked the new characters, it felt kind of refreshing in that aspect. I didnt care at all about the death star and whatever it was doing, they went and killed it, 0 tension or care was felt here tbh. Too generic to really spark even the faintest of interest, but that was kind of a given anyway, its me watching starwars and Im not 6 years old any more. I felt that the worlds felt real to me, the characters felt real and that was more than I was expecting and really what mattered to the movie working for me as a whole.

"
SkyCore wrote:

In a highly advanced galatic society with technology capable of; simultaneously destroying multiple planets, creating advanced thinking androids, crossing thousands of lightyears in hours, and building structures the size of planets... they dont have scanners to follow ships in the area? And on the rebels side; they only have weapons of power compareable to those used in world war 2? If you can accelerate thousands of tons of mass to 'lightspeed' The energies involved are more than enough to vaporize that deathstar. And why even bother sending humans? AI is clearly strong enough to do everything a human can in this universe.

ya, this is what I mean by nonsense. The way space battles take place in star wars, we dont even fight like that on the surface of this planet any more. Its a hybrid of the battle of Britain and historical naval battles back when we used cannon at close range, and those manners of fighting died with those eras.

A space station that cant even fend off a space plane being flown so slow a human being can fully pilot it, how on earth is it going to stop catastrophic quantities of matter being flung into it at light speed? If you can move a ship the size of a city at the speed of light and do so as standard practice then your combat will take place at that speed, nothing you fire at an enemy ship will be moving slower. Space combat at that tech level is going to be fought by computers surely because it would be too fast for humans. One ship is going to jump within 100,000 miles of another and within a few seconds one of them is going to be a cloud of molten metal. The experience of war for a human will be in memo form, alarm sounds, computer informs you that you are now a veteran of a large scale battle where your side wiped out an entire fleet of the enemy by automatically detecting and firing upon them 2 seconds quicker than their computer could. This whole thing of flying little planes at each other is comical, so much of starwars is like this, the entire 'universe', the concept, its totally absurd throughout.

So is star trek tbh. Ive had some very enjoyable times watching star wars and star trek in my years, very fond memories, I was watching star wars when I was 2 and Ive been a sci fi fan ever since. But both those shows are so fundamentally flimsy on so many levels that actually, I dont mind at all what Abrams has done with them. Actually, I think both are a big improvement on where these 'franchises' (that cringe tho) were at the last time I saw them. He hasnt removed the nonsense, you cant, the nonsense is in the very fabric of these shows. He couldnt make me buy into them the way I did when I was a tiny child, but he made them feel more credible to me now than the last time I went to the cinema and watched star wars or star trek. I thought star trek was a beautiful film, the last one I saw with Benedict Cumberbach, hes going to wince a bit at the amount of lens flare he added when he looks back in 20 years time but that aside it was stunning to look at. I feel like it was at least 10x more convincing than anything that has ever had the name star trek attached to it before, and it managed that while having that shaun of the dead twat in the film which is an achievement.
"
Snorkle_uk wrote:
It is utter nonsense though, the entire star wars thing was born in nonsense, loved for nonsense, will always be nonsense. If you like any star wars film you have an ability to just accept the nonsense and enjoy the fantasy fun of the thing.

There. There is the voice of reason.

"
Snorkle_uk wrote:

So is star trek tbh.

I will find you.
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403
SW: Episode 7 Review - No spoilers.

"This movie will definitely be a hit or miss with most people that go watch it. Avid SW aficionados will find the movie nostalgically beautiful and true to form. The special effects were perfect. Not over done (aka Transformers) and not underwhelming either. The settings and ambiance created took me back to my childhood.

The big problem I had with the movie is that it felt rushed, one-dimensional, and didn't seem like it could fuel a "new era" for the SW saga. I feel like Disney and JJ Abrams FULLY relied on the nostalgia of movie goers when making this film. Both also, I feel, underestimate what younger (new) movie goers expect from a science fiction action movie: Rich plot AND cool/nerdy Sci-fi stuff.

I was expecting a reboot of the series with a NEW plot with some allusions or "cool references" to the older movies. Instead, I felt like I watched a "dated" plot line with unclear character development and depth. Part of the issue with me lies with the fact that a large amount of the plot line was focused on older characters rather than newly introduced ones. As a result, the movie largely felt like a trip down memory lane and not a blast into the future of SW.
The heavy focus on old characters also caused a chain reaction of coincidence-based relationships and underdeveloped new characters that made me walking out feeling excited, but some how empty.

I was expecting a movie that would kick off a trilogy that would truly show the growth and amazing development of SW over the years, and instead i felt like I watched a movie from the early 80s again...but with cooler graphics.

I feel most people, that aren't die-hard SW fans, will leave the theater wanting more...and maybe even a little disappointed.

I give the new SW movie a 7.5/10. "

Everyone should go see the movie...as it is probably the most prolific movie series of our generation. If you want to relive your childhood, this movie will do it for you.

^^^^ This was my review after the very first time watching the movie on opening night.

Since then I have seen it again and appreciate the movie for what it is...but I still give it a 7.5/10 for the same reasons. I think part of the problem is that I expected too much from JJ Abrams as I thought his rebirth of Star Trek (at least the first one) was pretty darn good...and i'm not even a trekkie.

Oh well I hope the next one doesn't copy the plot line of Return of the Jedi like this one copied SW 4: A New Hope. I also hope that they actually develop some of the characters so I care when they die in the movie. As it stands, I don't care who dies at this point...and I don't think that is what the writers/director would want anyone to feel.

Cheers!!
I give it a 5.5/10

midichlorians: first order casting, copy-pasta plot elements, luke being a selfish/self-pitying recluse, leia not giving 2 shits about han dying, han dying like a bitch, "remnants" of the empire build a more powerful weapon than the empire could at full strength, bb-8, crappy cgi leader snoke

the force: kylo's freakout, "rebels" casting, light sabers, the force, sweet x wing fighting, millenium falcon, good use of practical effects in many cases
Last edited by Darkfyre on Jan 8, 2016, 5:55:02 PM
"
TheWretch wrote:

Its the most successful movie in the history of movies.

It was the most hyped and awaited for movie in the history of movie. The success of the current movie has much less to do with the movie itself than to do with the love, fame, nostalgia and expectations generated by all the previous Star Wars movies.

"
TheWretch wrote:
You and all the other hurt fanbois

Name calling? What is to say that the most vocal supporters of the Awakening aren't Nuevo Fanbois?

"
TheWretch wrote:
Get on board or go away, no one cares that you guys didn't like it.

And people care that other people did like it?

"
TheWretch wrote:

Go on though, tell us more how it "should" be blablabla and hey, maybe one day when you get a billion dollars you can buy the rights from Disney and make it into wtv the hell you want it to be.

1) Disney didn't get the money to buy the rights to Star Wars because they had been so successful with other Star Wars movies.

2)Disney's path to success came through long term appeal of their movies to several generations,

3)A billion dollars is not a lot of money for a major worldwide company. I've worked for companies that have thrown twice that amount away in trash every year.

4)The box office returns aren't where the money is at for Disney. Toys and merchandise are, and in that sense - the movie did generate a lot of Star Wars-ish type new characters and devices that will make 10 to 15 times or more money than the movie does.

5)The movie will not generate the same enthusiasm that the original one did.

Just as example - can *anyone* in their right mind imagine Kylo Ren inspiring stuff like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naltlD6lGH4

I'm sorry but Darth Aardvark

is about as menacing as this guy:

PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Jan 9, 2016, 5:43:22 AM
"
DalaiLama wrote:

It was the most hyped and awaited for movie in the history of movie. The success of the current movie has much less to do with the movie itself than to do with the love, fame, nostalgia and expectations generated by all the previous Star Wars movies.

Irrelevant. Still the most successful movie. To claim consumers didn't like it is retarded.

"
DalaiLama wrote:

Name calling? What is to say that the most vocal supporters of the Awakening aren't Nuevo Fanbois?

A rose by any other name??

"
DalaiLama wrote:
And people care that other people did like it?

Apparently.

"
DalaiLama wrote:

1) Disney didn't get the money to buy the rights to Star Wars because they had been so successful with other Star Wars movies.

2)Disney's path to success came through long term appeal of their movies to several generations,

3)A billion dollars is not a lot of money for a major worldwide company. I've worked for companies that have thrown twice that amount away in trash every year.

4)The box office returns aren't where the money is at for Disney. Toys and merchandise are, and in that sense - the movie did generate a lot of Star Wars-ish type new characters and devices that will make 10 to 15 times or more money than the movie does.

5)The movie will not generate the same enthusiasm that the original one did.

Just as example - can *anyone* in their right mind imagine Kylo Ren inspiring stuff like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naltlD6lGH4

1- Point being?

2- See 1

3- You've worked for some very foolish companies if they "throw out" billions of dollars. Disney's investment was a wise one, they broke even after only one project.

4- Correct, although irrelevant to the discussion of SW:TFA box office success.

5- I wish I could see 30 years into the future too

Spoiler

Looks fine to me. maybe you preferred this?

Spoiler

Emo Kylo already puts that golf commercial to shame
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
Last edited by TheWretch on Jan 9, 2016, 12:10:17 PM
"
TheWretch wrote:
Looks fine to me. maybe you preferred this?

Spoiler

Emo Kylo already puts that golf commercial to shame

This raises an important question: If Kylo Ren got in a fight with Jar Jar who would win?

You may think Kylo because he's armed with a lightsaber and Jar Jar isn't trained in any weapons at all. The thing is, from what we saw in the movie neither is Kylo, and he would probably underestimate Jar Jar. This may prove to be his undoing.

In The Phantom Menace Jar Jar took out an entire battalion of droids by accident. He's a wild card and has more combat experience than Finn does, so I can see him winning without even realizing it.

I don't subscribe to the theory Jar Jar is a sith lord, but I know who my money would be on.

Spoiler
I apologize for this post, I just think Kylo's a really lame villain.
Gameplay & Level Design
Need help? Contact support@grindinggear.com
"
I think his lameness is entirely deliberate.

But I've already said all this in the thread so far.

emo kylo ren is actually going to change how people perceive the character but NOT, I think, in a dangerously subversive way. It's an accurate if hyperbolic interpretation of the character.

Let's face it: half the younglings in III could take out Kylo Ren. Sure, kid's got serious power, but he has none of the discipline found on both sides of the 'trained' Force. Ahsoka would wipe the floor with him. EZRA would.

What you're seeing in TFA is not two trained Force users fighting -- you're seeing two raw potentials being chosen by the has-beens. Their success or failure will be entirely dependent on their masters' ability to fully deploy that potential.

Dont think so. The problem with his character is that in first half of the movie, they show him as extremely powerful jedi, a jedi who can do a lot of things that other jedi masters could never do. He can read minds, he can stop a laser in mid air without any problem, he can paralyse a person, make him go to sleep, but than in end he is kicked by a girl that never trained in anything that has to do with force, even had problems fighting fin.

First half movie kylo ren could probably kicked ass of all the jedi you said here and a lot more from the original movies, as that is how he was portrayed, end part movie kylo ren could be kicked by anyone, probably even evoks.
Last edited by Ragnar119 on Jan 10, 2016, 6:15:49 PM
"
Ragnar119 wrote:
"
I think his lameness is entirely deliberate.

But I've already said all this in the thread so far.

emo kylo ren is actually going to change how people perceive the character but NOT, I think, in a dangerously subversive way. It's an accurate if hyperbolic interpretation of the character.

Let's face it: half the younglings in III could take out Kylo Ren. Sure, kid's got serious power, but he has none of the discipline found on both sides of the 'trained' Force. Ahsoka would wipe the floor with him. EZRA would.

What you're seeing in TFA is not two trained Force users fighting -- you're seeing two raw potentials being chosen by the has-beens. Their success or failure will be entirely dependent on their masters' ability to fully deploy that potential.

Dont think so. The problem with his character is that in first half of the movie, they show him as extremely powerful jedi, a jedi who can do a lot of things that other jedi masters could never do. He can read minds, he can stop a laser in mid air without any problem, he can paralyse a person, make him go to sleep, but than in end he is kicked by a girl that never trained in anything that has to do with force, even had problems fighting fin.

First half movie kylo ren could probably kicked ass of all the jedi you said here and a lot more from the original movies, as that is how he was portrayed, end part movie kylo ren could be kicked by anyone, probably even evoks.

First half of the movie Kylo Ren was only bluffing, about his power and coldness. You have some few hints that he isn't that strong in the scene he lack of self control. And when he remove his mask for the first time you can read the fear in his face, he has no experience probably never fought by himself he's full of doubts etc. Character is really interesting and I can't wait to see him evoluing. Also That actor and what Kylo Ren was in that movie, THAT what I've wanted to see in Star-Wars 1-2-3 with Anakin :(

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info