[IN DEPTH] 2.2 Crit LA/Blastrain Voltaxic - Hardcore/SC Viable

"
skieZ wrote:
First: nice guide.
Well put together.

Spoiler
I play Talisman myself atm. and came back to PoE after a few month of being burned out of it.
Leveled a arc witch first but casters suck bad atm. so I decided to try a char that'll safely sail me to 90.
Playing SC and decided to go Voltaxic.

Okay now my gear atm. :
Spoiler

Got unlucky with the 5 links (both costed me around 400fuse in the end -.-)
Anyways, I think the most important part about the gemslots is WED.
I'd never take Innervate over WED in a 5L.
The buff is nice, but aside from that its not really good, the chance to shock is okay, but enemys are almost always permashocked, so it makes no real difference.
For a 6L I'd consider Innervate;Poison;Inc. crit or maybe something different.

Second: I think powercharges in the tree are waste of points.
The low basecrit of voltaxic makes crit alot less desirable, so I'd always only take the super efficient crit clusters.
Plus they are annoying to sustain, even with a dual herald setup I sometimes run out of charges.
The best way to scale your damage is WED; Flat Lightning (or Ele generally) and Frenzycharges.
Sadly I'm on phone so I can't type everything I want right now.
Basically: Only get efficient crit nodes, get WED and Light. Ele and AS.
I'll post my tree and answer a bit more detailed tomorrow, as I used around 40 regrets so far to test different pathings and nodes.

Tree: http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwIA2sGHduOfwzqE2UQNyPAWv49gbycj05pqveY-z-0_N9TUI3Tteu8FLdNvLlNbrw-rGYqNv7e2jX7qYnXLlwY2PTnUoJ8x-nb3R35lTb02TP_uDqOKYeImlVVL73oNjQHRWhrDMxmO7YMAXm1sTio6QiSLIXaGzsEzMHyly52qYqxsjFWFTZKNfSP2jDa1SH11u-P-umJaJJ2v68Ubm42MC-ywuXzEoiT951T_3n8rXfIILpu1hMW-p_ba-wkaj-ZYkx-J4EkTS3gwcd2oQzFwUonTKgtRR_zF034AAAAA

Keep in mind that this tree is fit for my gear atm. (explains certain nodes for example the crit/acc. cluster) and its a tree made for softcore.
I jave 4,9k HP atm. and with better gear it'll go easly over 5-5.3k (which is enough tbh).
DPS is @15.2k atm. (3p and 7f charges) and alot of room to improve, since the gear isn't super opieop and gems are not qualed/leveld/21ed.
This is 5he most fun char I played so far and I love it.
I'll be back later when I'm on my PC to explain a few tree decisions and so on.

cheers o/

For the 3 point's I like having increased duration and the power charge because I plan on using Power Charge on Crit as my 6th link to at least test out. Once I have PCoC I may even change my curse set up to something else, so for now I really enjoy it.

I am also going to test the build running without the extra power charge because without PCoC I don't maintain them as much as I thought I would.

EDIT:

So I removed the power charge from my tree and I'm pretty happy with the decision, it is not needed. I will update my build to reflect that in the passives tree.
Last edited by Thisisnotsully on Dec 20, 2015, 9:51:05 AM
sick guide. keep it up free bamp
IGN: @Sleepless
Twitch.tv/iamsleeplesss
Awesome guide! +1
ty for the guide, just fyi your defenses screenshot was cut in an odd way and doesn't show anything of value.
"
ty for the guide, just fyi your defenses screenshot was cut in an odd way and doesn't show anything of value.

Thank you for that. Once I get home tonight I'll fix that
I planned out a build at the beginning of the league for a LA character, it looks similar to yours except I started as a shadow, just because I like shadows. I only recently started leveling the character for this.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAsNii2VHZsJL_kxa_D6smlW1sYeI2Ped07LBVS52qVYXo1owLjDZsjKXLmyYFtbl8idNirDIBjb9wUrIZUUfUIyoLz3o-z-dUMHwwcWHrveYk_cjcjX1_K92oelP_3sFJI_Y51NaKS3j-HU2So4pv8nb3OkLuDqCfMfrvevzF034NjQBefXVbr4d2GY7-uk4qIXZnoOOf7YO740z_I9OGzkp9CC7EokMxbyfBM5uN2sGNfsMzmmrgn3TtzZhaGgVmBS3qYnrvdcu-p2VNvTZHfoTZAdx346lueWjBBF8_FCDvDlBH

I don't take the hired killer cluster or the true strike cluster. I also opt to take phase acrobatics and arrow dancing. But those can be dropped with preference. For 114 points I have 185% life and 136% evasion.

Though from what you've said about the static electricity jewel I'll probably take a second look at the build to incorporate 2 of them just as you did. I'll probably end up dropping the nodes past master of arena for those jewels. Thanks for the guide, glad to see someone achieve good performance from their build.
Last edited by Liquor on Dec 22, 2015, 12:52:36 AM
"
Liquor wrote:
I planned out a build at the beginning of the league for a LA character, it looks similar to yours except I started as a shadow, just because I like shadows. I only recently started leveling the character for this.

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwYAsNii2VHZsJL_kxa_D6smlW1sYeI2Ped07LBVS52qVYXo1owLjDZsjKXLmyYFtbl8idNirDIBjb9wUrIZUUfUIyoLz3o-z-dUMHwwcWHrveYk_cjcjX1_K92oelP_3sFJI_Y51NaKS3j-HU2So4pv8nb3OkLuDqCfMfrvevzF034NjQBefXVbr4d2GY7-uk4qIXZnoOOf7YO740z_I9OGzkp9CC7EokMxbyfBM5uN2sGNfsMzmmrgn3TtzZhaGgVmBS3qYnrvdcu-p2VNvTZHfoTZAdx346lueWjBBF8_FCDvDlBH

I don't take the hired killer cluster or the true strike cluster. I also opt to take phase acrobatics and arrow dancing. But those can be dropped with preference. For 114 points I have 185% life and 136% evasion.

Though from what you've said about the static strike jewel I'll probably take a second look at the build to incorporate 2 of them just as you did. Thanks for the guide, glad to see someone achieve good performance from their build.

Doesn't look bad at all, I don't think arrow dancing is necessary, but for 1 point it isnt bad either. You can easily grab Phase Acro with this build if you prefer to do so, keep in mind this is just a guide, only a few things are set in stone. I think, specifically for Voltaxic, you really need the jewel sockets for Static Electricity, and the cluster of Arcing Blows is extremely strong.
Playing a very, very similar build in Talisman SC. One piece of gear I HIGHLY recommend for upper tier maps is Taste Of Hate. It's expensive because it's worth it. For those unaware, Taste of Hate is a flask that converts 30% of phys damage to cold greatly mitigating the damage taken.

My gear @ 90:

Tree @ 90:

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwIAAF4B0QHcBS0ILg2ND6sWvxmKGY4hdiP2JIsk_SaVKgswcTB8Mfo1kjY9OdQ6QjrhPs9DMUd-Sn1LeEz_TZJN404qUUdVS1WFWhpbr13yX7Bh4mKsZU1sjG1sbztvnm_ycFJ07XXLdvd343gNeu99dX8rgwmExYTZhs6HdonTjDaNfY1-jb-QCpcGm42btZ2qoJ-jiqXLplepbq_rtfK74702vea-p8AawTPBScMzwzrEosjcykrNmNN-1CPYvdrB3ajjn-dU6mLtg-4O73ryRfzF_gr-Hf6P_rr_3g==?accountName=tokyotapes&characterName=MyPearlNecklace

Thanks for the guide, I hope others try Voltaxic in 2.1, I'm having so much fun with it.
I love this game but I'm not so sure about the people who play it.
Last edited by tokyotapes on Dec 22, 2015, 3:31:41 PM
"
tokyotapes wrote:
Playing a very, very similar build in Talisman SC. One piece of gear I HIGHLY recommend for upper tier maps is Taste Of Hate. It's expensive because it's worth it. For those unaware, Taste of Hate is a flask that converts 30% of phys damage to cold greatly mitigating the damage taken.

My gear @ 90:

Spoiler

Tree @ 90:
Spoiler

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAwIAAF4B0QHcBS0ILg2ND6sWvxmKGY4hdiP2JIsk_SaVKgswcTB8Mfo1kjY9OdQ6QjrhPs9DMUd-Sn1LeEz_TZJN404qUUdVS1WFWhpbr13yX7Bh4mKsZU1sjG1sbztvnm_ycFJ07XXLdvd343gNeu99dX8rgwmExYTZhs6HdonTjDaNfY1-jb-QCpcGm42btZ2qoJ-jiqXLplepbq_rtfK74702vea-p8AawTPBScMzwzrEosjcykrNmNN-1CPYvdrB3ajjn-dU6mLtg-4O73ryRfzF_gr-Hf6P_rr_3g==?accountName=tokyotapes&characterName=MyPearlNecklace

Thanks for the guide, I hope others try Voltaxic in 2.1, I'm having so much fun with it.

Thanks for the input man. How's the damage on frenzy? I personally prefer the mechanics of blast rain but Frenzy is obviously tried and true. I can definitely see taste of hate being perfect, but it's out of my price range for now.

Im also planning on switching to added lighting over Innervate for higher tier mapping, but I enjoy the movement speed buff from Onslaught for now. A 20/20 lightning damage will net more dps for sure.
"

Thanks for the input man. How's the damage on frenzy? I personally prefer the mechanics of blast rain but Frenzy is obviously tried and true. I can definitely see taste of hate being perfect, but it's out of my price range for now.

Im also planning on switching to added lighting over Innervate for higher tier mapping, but I enjoy the movement speed buff from Onslaught for now. A 20/20 lightning damage will net more dps for sure.

Frenzy DPS is pretty good, about 50k tooltip buffed. The main reason I run that over blast rain or tornado shot is reliable frenzy uptime in groups. I am usually partied up in 3-4 man groups so blood rage isn't always reliable enough to keep them up. If solo or in a smaller group I would consider dropping frenzy for something else and letting blood rage do the rest.

As far as Innervate, it's def my 6th link and hopefully I'll get there eventually. Again, this kind of goes back to the group dynamic where Innervate could very well be better for solo or 2 person groups. In large parties with big monster life pools, killing while shocked and consistently getting the onslaught proc isn't guaranteed.

I love this game but I'm not so sure about the people who play it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info