Temporal chains ruined, no patch notes

Everyone here to my knowledge. Either plays EA, or plays a build that is specifically able to fight it. I think I only played with icedeal in LLD though.

I play a melee class. As a melee, we have no zoning capabilities. Hence, We can not go full dps, and rely on block/dodge, "EA"

We can close distance with flicker, Whirling blades and leap slam. If for example those fail we lose by default. No ranged character has to willingly put themselves at melee range. Classic Zangief vs ryu. Only ryu's fireballs can potentially crit and KO.

If we do not have at least 5k hp. We lose by default. 1 trap. Not even stacked traps or whether or not puncture or burn is involved. 5k hp won't even cut it in a lot of cases.

If we can not tank firestorm/icestorm we lose by default. Melee EHP, Chaos resistance. ice resistance, fire resistance vs melee dps output vs caster ehp. Huge gear check here. Nothing is forcing the caster to stop spamming stationary.

We have to be able to micromanage tempest shield incoming damage vs our attack rate vs our damage vs opponents blockrate vs (opponents # of Rumi's) If you thought having to use a warding flask was annoying, this is a whole different ball game.

Unyielding passive and belt of the deceiver is almost mandatory. Most people are crit / multi based.

Cursing was one of melee's best weapons I think. It made EA/frostwall/anywall a lot more tankable. It slowed down ranged for closing distance. It also punished anyone carelessly spamming warding flasks in hope of getting a critical hit on you. Firestorm/icestorm can't go stationary warp and were forced to actually play aggressively. No wardings? firestorm full crit dps is easily tankable.

You right pvp is about micromanagement. There isn't an immune to AOE overlap flask or Immune to stacked trap flask. Being annoyed at having to use a warding flask is a really silly thing to say. If curses were really the thing to prepare for, a thief's torment would be good enough. If i'm fighting chaos based builds I have to switch to dual ming's and lose 30% of my hp. Just how it goes. Options exist vs no options in relation to things I find problematic as a melee.

Pvp is also about punishing mistakes. As of now, just playing as a melee class is a mistake, and has been for a very long time. Ranged X does not have even close to the management requirement of melee Y. It also has a massive gear check in comparison.

While cursing being to powerful is a good argument. Ranged can use it to right? It's irrelevant because the ranged character loses a lot of dps vs curse on hit. Has to go bloodmagic vs mind over matter or actually has to tree the mana sustain the hard way. Shoot, regen mana, run, shoot, repeat isn't an option.
Or foregoes all zoning capabilities to apply said curses. Melee will at least have fortify in this example.

All scenario's are advantageous for a melee character, and frankly were very short on advantages in a EA, frostwall, all crit/zoning environment.
"
ShinFuuma wrote:
Everyone here to my knowledge. Either plays EA, or plays a build that is specifically able to fight it. I think I only played with icedeal in LLD though.

I play a melee class. As a melee, we have no zoning capabilities. Hence, We can not go full dps, and rely on block/dodge, "EA"

We can close distance with flicker, Whirling blades and leap slam. If for example those fail we lose by default. No ranged character has to willingly put themselves at melee range. Classic Zangief vs ryu. Only ryu's fireballs can potentially crit and KO.

If we do not have at least 5k hp. We lose by default. 1 trap. Not even stacked traps or whether or not puncture or burn is involved. 5k hp won't even cut it in a lot of cases.

If we can not tank firestorm/icestorm we lose by default. Melee EHP, Chaos resistance. ice resistance, fire resistance vs melee dps output vs caster ehp. Huge gear check here. Nothing is forcing the caster to stop spamming stationary.

We have to be able to micromanage tempest shield incoming damage vs our attack rate vs our damage vs opponents blockrate vs (opponents # of Rumi's) If you thought having to use a warding flask was annoying, this is a whole different ball game.

Unyielding passive and belt of the deceiver is almost mandatory. Most people are crit / multi based.

Cursing was one of melee's best weapons I think. It made EA/frostwall/anywall a lot more tankable. It slowed down ranged for closing distance. It also punished anyone carelessly spamming warding flasks in hope of getting a critical hit on you. Firestorm/icestorm can't go stationary warp and were forced to actually play aggressively. No wardings? firestorm full crit dps is easily tankable.

You right pvp is about micromanagement. There isn't an immune to AOE overlap flask or Immune to stacked trap flask. Being annoyed at having to use a warding flask is a really silly thing to say. If curses were really the thing to prepare for, a thief's torment would be good enough. If i'm fighting chaos based builds I have to switch to dual ming's and lose 30% of my hp. Just how it goes. Options exist vs no options in relation to things I find problematic as a melee.

Pvp is also about punishing mistakes. As of now, just playing as a melee class is a mistake, and has been for a very long time. Ranged X does not have even close to the management requirement of melee Y. It also has a massive gear check in comparison.

While cursing being to powerful is a good argument. Ranged can use it to right? It's irrelevant because the ranged character loses a lot of dps vs curse on hit. Has to go bloodmagic vs mind over matter or actually has to tree the mana sustain the hard way. Shoot, regen mana, run, shoot, repeat isn't an option.
Or foregoes all zoning capabilities to apply said curses. Melee will at least have fortify in this example.

All scenario's are advantageous for a melee character, and frankly were very short on advantages in a EA, frostwall, all crit/zoning environment.

I guarantee I'm the only person that even understands your Ryu versus Zangief example haha. I'll even 1 up you, PvP here as melee is more like O.Sagat versus Zangief honestly.

Cursing was only a temporarily reprieve from the inevitable stupidity you're going to face as melee. They still weren't enough to stand at equal footing with most things and 1 warding flask and 0.0001 second later you're dead from a crit in some form be it self cast/self attack, cwdt or tempest. The bigger picture is you're right about everything you wrote but ultimately that just means balance itself is wrong. In the end melee itself would be much more viable IF we didn't have curses at all with the exception of Enfeeble. Slows,chills are just irritating as fuck and really hurt melee more then they help it. If melee was always at full speed they could deal with match ups better. Slowing another player as melee is only going to get you near them easier, once near them you're still up shits creek without a paddle because of balance issues.
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
Last edited by MullaXul on Dec 15, 2015, 6:51:38 PM
Temporal chain is still usable, it wont slow down as much but it's still enough to see the difference.

As for saying these curses are more advantageous for a melee i kinda disagree, my firestorm can get a huge benefit on applying a temporal chain curse, it makes it much more easy to aim and land a firestorm.

Temporal chains also benefited EA tremendously, considering how much these builds run and how high their survivability is they could drain your dispels if you did not have enough, they are applying curses on hit most of the time.

That nerf is not a big deal, any top player should have enough dispels to take the momentum in a fight.

Here is an exemple...

I'am running 3 of those which grants 12 charges of 20 seconds each for a total of 240 seconds , i can freely spam firestorm for the whole duration of the flask and maintain immunity constantly. Considering these flask refill i rarely have any problem with curses during a whole matchup.

Temporal chains is not the reason your build is either winning or losing, if an enemy loses because of your TC then he has bad flask countering settup. If you are losing and you think it's due to TC being nerfed you are wrong, if someone fully counters your TC then your build is faulty not the tc.

Curses are mostly a problem when applied on hit, because you cant always time the dispels before the hit.

On a side note, dont freak out yet
"
In a few hours, we will deploy a hotfix that undoes the curse changes in yesterday's hotfix. It will introduce a cap of 75% to the action speed reduction caused by Temporal Chains and to the effects of Enfeeble.

We shouldn't have made such a large balance modification within a challenge league. This new cap solves the exploit case without affecting most other players.

We want people to understand that this change wasn't made as a knee-jerk reaction, it was a balance change that was discussed during the development of 2.1.0 and was omitted from the initial deploy. There are numerous ways that the current curse system is holding us back, so we will review it extensively for 2.2.0 next year.

IGN:Hauntworld - ICU Omniscient PvP guild
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PvP Low life crit caster / Gear -->/1829851
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
HLD PvP tournaments -->/1576295
Last edited by hauntworld1 on Dec 15, 2015, 6:51:11 PM
Rejoice everyone, TC and Enfeeble are back :D

@Shin : ho you know me really well trust me, think about WB crit and ST/bleed :p
Last edited by IceDeal on Dec 15, 2015, 8:14:59 PM

hi.
"You have great power. You're right to be proud. It's unfortunate you have to die now, but I will honor you with 45% of my strength."
No, I don't think firestorm or EA benefits more from TC than a melee. Completely specious argument.

Both builds create a deathtrap for melee characters, the burden of initiation is on the melee. Unless of course the melee is trying to intentionally draw.

All the people I fought in the 1v1 LLD and HLD only have at best one warding or two. This is over the course of years. I even tried tonight, shot down quite a few familiar faces and got rank 8 in no time. Some even went full warding hoping I would come up again. Didn't really matter. I play a scold's based melee, the cursing is just math at work with limited links vs kaoms. Nothing new here, however it wasn't jam packed full of EA before I took a break from 1v1.

Getting cursed is only an issue for the all out dps kill you before you can hit me crit based builds. Zone control and potion management become a lot more important. Aside from maybe trappers. I'm not really sure if the trap is effected after/before it's been placed or not/at all.

It isn't like sarn when you can identify threatening characters and tailor your potion load out. I see people enter. See who is there. Leave, go full warding then re-enter.

"
MullaXul wrote:
I guarantee I'm the only person that even understands your Ryu versus Zangief example haha. I'll even 1 up you, PvP here as melee is more like O.Sagat versus Zangief honestly.

At least he got lariat projectile bypass (up or down? hmmm.) in turbo. hahaha. Yeah that was terrible.
blasphemy is just a complete mess for a most everything lol
play my first rpg on the intellivision :)
Chris Wilson"I want to make sure that melee classes are as good as they can be"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info