Any Unity Hobbiests Out There?

Hello peoples :D

So, anyone else out there in Wraeclast a hobbiest developer of sorts? I have been dabbling in UDK and Unity for years now, and Im thinking of starting up something soon. I do it for entertainment and pure fun.

I have been modelling and animating for several years, as well as programming for a few more years. Im no pro in any respect, simply a jack of all trades kinda guy. Anyways, if anyone else out there is into this kind of thing, feel free to join me in this thread, as its pretty lonely in here :D

Heres a little dude I built awhile ago, and its been collecting dust for a little too long. Its fully animated as well, but looks a little lifeless in this shot with no lighting and in a powered down state.

GGG - Why you no?
Last edited by JoannaDark on Feb 15, 2013, 2:20:49 PM
Back awhile ago I started getting into Unreal Scripting, personally I love the Unreal Engine...never messed with Unity :(
"
Elynole wrote:
Back awhile ago I started getting into Unreal Scripting, personally I love the Unreal Engine...never messed with Unity :(

UDK is really cool, although I prefer Unity, if for no other reason, its much simpler to have complete control over all aspects of your development from the ground up. UDK, on the other hand, involves a deeper level of understanding UScript specificly, without use of source.

UDK is more known as the AAA engine of choice, where as Unity as become very well known in the handheld market, although not so long ago UDK implemented this as well. Seems everyone wants a piece of the pie :D

That said, Unity is quite competent with stand alone builds for pc / mac, and thats where i fall in. I just develop for sole entertainment on my own machines.

GGG - Why you no?
"
JoannaDark wrote:

UDK is really cool, although I prefer Unity, if for no other reason, its much simpler to have complete control over all aspects of your development from the ground up. UDK, on the other hand, involves a deeper level of understanding UScript specificly, without use of source.

UDK is more known as the AAA engine of choice, where as Unity as become very well known in the handheld market, although not so long ago UDK implemented this as well. Seems everyone wants a piece of the pie :D

That said, Unity is quite competent with stand alone builds for pc / mac, and thats where i fall in. I just develop for sole entertainment on my own machines.

I'm not sure about Unity, but UDK's biggest set back is it's ability to handle a large amount of users in one instance. I believe it's restricted to 64 people in the same instance, which makes MMO's unable to use UDK.

Ah well, either way it's definitely fun playing around with such engines. I've never been the artistic type so I always use pre-built meshes to play around with.

BTW, UDK's inclusion of Scaleform UI is awesome :D
Last edited by Elynole on Feb 15, 2013, 3:35:34 PM
Unity doesnt have any concurrency issues in that respect, however, this is definitely a case of server hardware restrictions. Most of us avg joes dont have a blizzard server setups kicking around in the basement.

Also - im pretty sure that restriction goes back to my inital comments on UDK , and that is *without source acccess* its very limited.
GGG - Why you no?
Last edited by JoannaDark on Feb 15, 2013, 3:48:15 PM
"
JoannaDark wrote:
Unity doesnt have any concurrency issues in that respect, however, this is definitely a case of server hardware restrictions. Most of us avg joes dont have a blizzard server setups kicking around in the basement.

Also - im pretty sure that restriction goes back to my inital comments on UDK , and that is *without source acccess* its very limited.

From my understanding, UDK actually restricts having more than so many people via their software and licensing. I could be slightly wrong on that, but last time I looked into it that's what it was like..

At either rate, I'll stop derailing your thread now! haha
"
Elynole wrote:

From my understanding, UDK actually restricts having more than so many people via their software and licensing. I could be slightly wrong on that, but last time I looked into it that's what it was like..

At either rate, I'll stop derailing your thread now! haha

No worries. I wouldnt say theres any derailing here. Its welcome discussion about the engines.

And yes, theres indeed restrictions on place (and very heavy license surrounding) the UDK. Another reason Unity is much more forgiving. I was under the impression that a full solo source licesnse for UDK could run upawrds of 100k O.o That said, Im pretty sure at source level, the UDK can get around the concurrecny issue. I could be wrong, as I stated, I have dabbled with UDK, but I much prefer Unity.

The only completed projects I have embarked on were all through Unity. Its fun stuff for sure.
GGG - Why you no?
I am aware that UDK has been recommended to a S.E. Asian government department for making training aids. I know because I made the original recommendation.

The country concerned has four different languages in common use and sometimes (always) demonstrations work better than words.

Game engines often have a wider field of appliication than the recreational. Since play is a characteristic of mammalian developement it is often more effective to make training fun.
Agreed Eggy. These engines are often used outside of traditional purposes. Interactive is always fun.
GGG - Why you no?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info