Donald Trump

Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
They do this in Germany with German politicians too. Sad!

GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
"
"
NeroNoah wrote:
The people that try to silence other people show their true colors.

That´s what happened in Russia(Putin) and that´s what is happening in Turkey(Erdogan, the current EU deal is a very bad outcome). Both were elected and are censoring their media and don´t seem to have a problem with violence against their own people. Trump makes it pretty clear that he´s not interested in checks and balances via independent journalism(not to mention this seems to be weak in the US already), that´s the impression I get here when I listen to him, not much more needed than his words.

Too often he does not answer tough questions, but starts to insult people. I´m aware that "negative campaigns" have a tradition in US politics more than here, but my impression is that many voters don´t notice how antidemocratic his attitude really is. Now he is warning, there might be riots, "if"....

Is that a word of warning or a message to his followers ?

edit: Don´t take my words wrong, we´re witnessing a democratic process here, I´m just not sure how he might "change the rules", if he´d manage to become president.

If you want attempted media control, you don't need to look at what Trump might do, you can simply look at what the current US administration already does. The first step is simply for the media to never have negative information available to them. It works in China, so they think they can implement it here.

If that means one agency assigned to investigate terrorism, isn't allowed to talk to terrorist suspects, than that's ok, Right?

The level of corruption and media collusion is insane.

Here's a recent example:

http://freebeacon.com/politics/obama-veteran-pushing-for-scotus-nominee-to-appear-regularly-on-nbc-msnbc/

Academia is rife with political cronyism and sycophants. We have two generations of people whose mindset is hardened against reality teaching and training the next generations. Instead of learning about what is actually happening in the world, they are given cheat sheets to memorize, and points deducted from the academic and social status when they don't follow the script.

The current government works actively with the universities, the media and others to suppress and shape the message that comes out. While almost every administration has tried to work the press for publicity, none have been so singular minded in purpose or as ruthless in their handling.

I have no doubts that Trump, or any candidate (including Bernie) would deny, obfuscate and otherwise try to alter any unfavorable perceptions by the media. For the most part, they wouldn't be as rampant or as insidious as what we have currently, because they wouldn't have a long term team set up in place to manage all the details.

I say for the most part, because one of them does have such a system in place, and a lot of experience using it. If someone thinks it is the person who is bold and blusterous and obvious in their mistakes, then that someone isn't thinking clearly.

If what's left of the free press in the US is mostly shut down by the next administration, you can bet your last Euro that press will get even worse everywhere else.

The problem isn't that the current administration doesn't adequately represent the people, the problem is that it does.

We have repeatedly elected a herd of thousands of cats running our country and those cats HAVE LEARNED TO COOPERATE for their own benefit. Instead of finding people that think like people to replace the cats, the public has decided to become cats themselves.

Whenever an ugly fact might arise in the press, argumentum ad caninum is rolled out. If it barks it must be false!

When the humans complain about intelligent press turning into emotional yowling, they are deemed barkers who cannot be trusted and are trying to silence the media.

When that doesn't work, the feral cats gather for violent protests.

When that doesn't work, they mail envelopes with suspicious white powder to the children of the barkers.

And their cat subjects think this is perfectly acceptable.

We are turning into a world full of cat ladies who's primary goal in life is to enact laws and processes to force everyone else into becoming cat ladies.

So, yes, there is one group trying much harder to silence others - and that group is having a serious identity crisis trying to determine if Bernie or Hillary is more catlike and serves their purposes.

People who think otherwise are seriously deluded, misinformed and bound by personal emotional manifestos. It isn't that either side is good. It is tough to imagine anyone wanting that kind of power and concomitant moral compromise who doesn't have some ethical instabilities. It is rather that one side just has a much better track record of trying to control people in almost every aspect of their lives. Not control as in a few dozen aspects, but control of everything. Forced Sterilization? Check. Keep Slavery Legal? Check. Lock women up who are promiscuous? Check. (read some history people) Forced lobotomies? Check. Fines for children with unauthorized lemonade stands? Check. Legislation to ban specific words and thoughts? Check. The list goes on and on and on.

"Through this government project, XXX is focused on ... influencing people’s behavior."

As this process continues, eventually the number of daily searches people are permitted to make on Google will be limited.

Too many map runs by a PoE player? A fine will be assessed by the govt and a share of that fine offered to the company running the server, or to GGG.

Facebook postings, Tweets and Map runs will all be cap and trade - for the good of the environment of course.

Sorry, but that emoticon you used when texting a friend has 12% too much blue in it, and you'll have to do community service.

Laugh now, because later on, you'll need a C02 recapturing mask to prevent killing the world with unnecessary humour.

LOL - will be illegal.

People who post a fair amount like myself, Nero and many others will probably serve hard prison time for using so many words.

The good news is that poor people will be given walls of trash to help heat their homes. Players who can't play enough to get Shavs, will get free Shavs that are taken away from other players.

Oh, and Catnip will be legal in all 50 states.

Just remember, it's not about a free press, it's a bout a feline press.

Think for yourself?
I don't think so.

vote Catmerica!
Otherwise expect to be clawed to ribbons by the cat people around you.

This message was approved by the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to the Truth, and funded by Prevent CATaclysm Now.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Mar 19, 2016, 2:28:18 AM
"
"
NeroNoah wrote:
The people that try to silence other people show their true colors.

That´s what happened in Russia(Putin) and that´s what is happening in Turkey(Erdogan, the current EU deal is a very bad outcome). Both were elected and are censoring their media and don´t seem to have a problem with violence against their own people. Trump makes it pretty clear that he´s not interested in checks and balances via independent journalism(not to mention this seems to be weak in the US already), that´s the impression I get here when I listen to him, not much more needed than his words.

Too often he does not answer tough questions, but starts to insult people. I´m aware that "negative campaigns" have a tradition in US politics more than here, but my impression is that many voters don´t notice how antidemocratic his attitude really is. Now he is warning, there might be riots, "if"....

Is that a word of warning or a message to his followers ?

edit: Don´t take my words wrong, we´re witnessing a democratic process here, I´m just not sure how he might "change the rules", if he´d manage to become president.

If you want attempted media control, you don't need to look at what Trump might do, you can simply look at what the current US administration already does. The first step is simply for the media to never have negative information available to them. It works in China, so they think they can implement it here.

If that means one agency assigned to investigate terrorism, isn't allowed to talk to terrorist suspects, than that's ok, Right?

The level of corruption and media collusion is insane. Academia is rife with political cronyism and sycophants.

We have two generations of people whose mindset is hardened against reality teaching and training the next generations. Instead of learning about what is actually happening in the world, they are given cheat sheets to memorize, and points deducted from the academic and social status when they don't follow the script.

Why think for yourself, when someone else can do it for you?

Just as it was long ago in China with the Confucian Bureaucracy, it's no longer about intellectual integrity, but about how elaborately you can espouse what everyone else knows to be the ideal truth. Whether you are a politician, professor, scientist or media puppet this is true.

The current government works actively with the universities, the media and others to suppress and shape the message that comes out. While almost every administration has tried to work the press for publicity, none have been so singular minded in purpose or as ruthless in their handling.

I have no doubts that Trump, or any candidate (including Bernie) would deny, obfuscate and otherwise try to alter any unfavorable perceptions by the media. For the most part, they wouldn't be as rampant or as insidious as what we have currently, because they wouldn't have a long term team set up in place to manage all the details.

I say for the most part, because one of them does have such a system in place, and a lot of experience using it. If someone thinks it is the person who is bold and blusterous and obvious in their mistakes, then that someone isn't thinking clearly.

If what's left of the free press in the US is mostly shut down by the next administration, you can bet your last Euro that press will get even worse everywhere else.

The problem isn't that the current administration doesn't adequately represent the people, the problem is that it does.

We have repeatedly elected a herd of thousands of cats running our country and those cats HAVE LEARNED TO COOPERATE for their own benefit. Instead of finding people that think like people to replace the cats, the public has decided to become cats themselves.

Whenever an ugly fact might arise in the press, argumentum ad caninum is rolled out. If it barks it must be false!

When the humans complain about intelligent press turning into emotional yowling, they are deemed barkers who cannot be trusted and are trying to silence the media.

When that doesn't work, the feral cats gather for violent protests.

When that doesn't work, they mail envelopes with suspicious white powder to the children of the barkers.

And their cat subjects think this is perfectly acceptable.

We are turning into a world full of cat ladies who's primary goal in life is to enact laws and processes to force everyone else into becoming cat ladies.

So, yes, there is one group trying much harder to silence others - and that group is having a serious identity crisis trying to determine if Bernie or Hillary is more catlike and serves their purposes.

People who think otherwise are seriously deluded, misinformed and bound by personal emotional manifestos. It isn't that either side is good. It is tough to imagine anyone wanting that kind of power and concomitant moral compromise who doesn't have some ethical instabilities.

It is rather that one side just has a much better track record of trying to control people in almost every aspect of their lives. Not control as in a few dozen aspects, but control of everything.

Forced Sterilization? Check. Keep Slavery Legal? Check. Lock women up who are promiscuous? Check. (read some history people) Forced lobotomies? Check. Fines for children with unauthorized lemonade stands? Check. Legislation to ban specific words and thoughts? Check. The list goes on and on and on.

"Through this government project, XXX is focused on ... influencing people’s behavior."

As this process continues, eventually the number of daily searches people are permitted to make on Google will be limited.

Too many map runs by a PoE player? A fine will be assessed by the govt and a share of that fine offered to the company running the server, or to GGG.

Facebook postings, Tweets and Map runs will all be cap and trade - for the good of the environment of course.

Sorry, but that emoticon you used when texting a friend has 12% too much blue in it, and you'll have to do community service.

Laugh now, because later on, you'll need a C02 recapturing mask to prevent killing the world with unnecessary humour.

LOL - will be illegal.

People who post a fair amount like myself, Nero and many others will probably serve hard prison time for using so many words.

The good news is that poor people will be given walls of trash to help heat their homes. Players who can't play enough to get Shavs, will get free Shavs that are taken away from other players.

Oh, and Catnip will be legal in all 50 states.

Just remember, it's not about a free press, it's a bout a feline press.

Think for yourself?
I don't think so.

vote Catmerica!
Otherwise expect to be clawed to ribbons by the cat people around you.

This message was approved by the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to the Truth, and funded by Prevent CATaclysm Now.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910
Last edited by DalaiLama on Mar 19, 2016, 2:01:54 AM
"
NeroNoah wrote:
You need better criticism (refuting his actual political proposals would be better, that's not really that hard if you have been paying attention, he is just that weak in that front). It doesn't happen.

Eastwood was the man with no name. Trump is the man with no plan. It was a winning strategy for the last person to get elected to the presidency in the US.

"
NeroNoah wrote:
His love for large scale deportation and his ways to confront terrorism sound mostly as a love for unnecesary, useless force/violence, but no one seems to care.

That is purely an emotional appeal strategy to a large chunk of society here who is frustrated with a government that has done nothing with a very real problem. The only reason Rubio, Cruz and even Bush III were ever on the GOP agenda was that they kind of sort of talked about eventually maybe doing something constructive about the problem. They didn't, of course, like almost every national leader in the US didn't.

The problem is real. The solution is nebulous and still being figured out.

Imagine that your house is on fire, and you dial 911. Instead of them sending out a fire truck, you are told that next week a selection committee will meet to discuss creating a commission to investigate possible solutions to your fire. Over the next 15-20 years, you have your house burn down eight times, and that commission to discuss potential fire problems?

They dissolved that commission with no solutions, and people that complained about fires were ironically fired from their government jobs.

Several of the people involved (Congress+Senate+State Department) with empowering that commission or who were on that commission are now asking for your vote.
(Clinton, Cruz, Rubio, Bush, Sanders)

Do you vote for them?

One person wasn't on that committee and is screaming that we need to build a firewall?
(Trump)

Do you vote for him?

"
NeroNoah wrote:
Those are points that no one discusses constructively anymore. Maybe it's time to move on and try other ways, or just stay silent and accept doom, I don't know.

The last time people actually were concerned about the issues was ....

maybe when Lincoln was running.

It's been mainly about popularity and self identification since then.

TL/DR:

The voters see the ballot for president this way:

Vote for one of "Us"

Vote for one of "Them"

Issues are a non-starter and a non-finisher for the majority of voters.

Here's an experiment budding political scientists can try on their own:

Ask if the subject is for the supposed Trump Wall (tm)

If for, ask how that will actually solve the problem?

If against, ask how they would actually solve the problem?

If they reply "I dunno" then they've given more thought to what socks they will be wearing than the actual issue.

"
DalaiLama wrote:
Imagine that your house is on fire, and you dial 911. Instead of them sending out a fire truck, you are told that next week a selection committee will meet to discuss creating a commission to investigate possible solutions to your fire. Over the next 15-20 years, you have your house burn down eight times, and that commission to discuss potential fire problems?

They dissolved that commission with no solutions, and people that complained about fires were ironically fired from their government jobs.

Several of the people involved (Congress+Senate+State Department) with empowering that commission or who were on that commission are now asking for your vote.

Do you vote for them?

One person wasn't on that committee and is screaming that we need to build a firewall?
(Trump)

Do you vote for him?

This does a nice job of explaining the basic psychology of just about every dissatisfaction voter since ever and onwards. Firewall "solution" proponents are basicly the Dunning-Krugers of problem solving, but primal instincts aren't developed to care about anything our noses can't reach wich, I believe, is why there are so many of them.

The end result is more votes for political snakeoil peddlers and less for those who would take the long route (because they actually respect the problem) and ultimately fail (because of it's herculean difficulty level).

I feel like democracy, while preferable to some other systems of government, has a problem at it's core in that it gives power even to the utterly clueless who couldn't spot a charlatan if their lives depended on it. Sure, in a democracy voting is a right that we possess and should use, but throwing that vote on the loudest mouth is simply misusing that right at best and abusing it at worst.
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
Protestor gets btfo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHMwdVCEyAU

Apparently there was a second protestor right behind him with a KKK mask on, and then this guy snapped lel.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I wonder what the fuck did he want, XD

Real life trolling has painful consequences.
Add a Forsaken Masters questline
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2297942
"
Upandatem wrote:
"
DalaiLama wrote:

Do you vote for them?

(Trump)

Do you vote for him?
This does a nice job of explaining the basic psychology of just about every dissatisfaction voter since ever and onwards.
This.

I mean really, Dalai, you go on this massive rant about how corrupt the status quo is, and you think Trump would end this status quo... why? If all that you say is true, could he? The cats like him, or he wouldn't be where he is now.

As long as we're doing long, possibly-insane rants, allow me to quote my personal favorite:
Spoiler
If you learn how to rule one single man's soul, you can get the rest of mankind. It's the soul... Not whips or swords or fire or guns. That's why the Caesars, the Attilas, the Napoleons were fools and did not last. We will. The soul... is that which can't be ruled. It must be broken. Drive a wedge in, get your fingers on it--and the man is yours. You won't need a whip--he'll bring it to you and ask to be whipped. Set him in reverse--and his own mechanism will do your work for you. Use him against himself. Want to know how it's done?... See if you haven't heard all this for years, but didn't want to hear, and the fault is yours, not mine. There are many ways. Here's one. Make man feel small. Make him feel guilty. Kill his aspiration and his integrity. That's difficult. The worst among you gropes for an ideal in his own twisted way. Kill integrity by internal corruption. Use it against itself. Direct it toward a goal destructive of all integrity. Preach selflessness. Tell man that he must live for others. Tell men that altruism is the ideal. Not a single one of them has ever achieved it and not a single one ever will. His every living instinct screams against it. But don't you see what you accomplish? Man realizes
that he's incapable of what he's accepted as the noblest virtue--and it gives him a sense of guilt, of sin, of his own basic unworthiness. Since the supreme ideal is beyond his grasp, he gives up eventually all ideals, all aspiration, all sense of his personal value. He feels himself obliged to preach what he can't practice. But one can't be good halfway or honest approximately. To preserve one's integrity is a hard battle. Why preserve that which one knows to be corrupt already? His soul gives up its self-respect. You've got him. He'll obey. He'll be glad to obey--because he can't trust himself, he feels uncertain, he feels unclean.
That's one way. Here's another. Kill man's sense of values. Kill his capacity to recognize greatness or to achieve it. Great men can't be ruled. We don't want any great men. Don't deny the conception of greatness. Destroy it from within. The great is the rare, the difficult, the exceptional. Set up standards of achievement open to all, to the least, to the most inept--and you stop the impetus to effort in all men, great or small. You stop all incentive to improvement, to excellence, to perfection... Don't set out to raze all shrines--you'll frighten men. Enshrine mediocrity--and the shrines are razed. Then there's another way. Kill by laughter. Laughter is an instrument of human joy. Learn to use it as a weapon of destruction. Turn it into a sneer. It's simple. Tell them to laugh at everything. Tell them that a sense of humor is an unlimited virtue. Don't let anything remain sacred in a man's soul--and his soul won't be sacred to him. Kill reverence and you've killed the hero in man. One doesn't reverence with a giggle. He'll obey and he'll set no limits to his
obedience--anything goes--nothing is too serious. Here's another way. This is most important. Don't allow men to be happy. Happiness is self-contained and self-sufficient. Happy men have no time and no use for you. Happy men are free men. So kill their joy in living. Take away from them whatever is dear or important to them. Never let them have what they want. Make them feel that the mere fact of a personal desire is evil. Bring them to a state where saying 'I want' is no longer a natural right, but a shameful admission. Altruism is of great help in this. Unhappy men will come to you. They'll need you. They'll come for consolation, for support, for escape. Nature allows no vacuum. Empty man's soul--and the space is yours to fill. I don't see why you should look so shocked... This is the oldest one of all. Look back at history. Look at any great system of ethics, from the Orient up. Didn't they all preach the sacrifice of personal joy? Under all the complications of verbiage, haven't they all had a single leitmotif: sacrifice, renunciation, self-denial? Haven't you been able to catch their theme song--'Give up, give up, give up, give up'? Look at the moral atmosphere of today. Everything enjoyable, from cigarettes to sex to ambition to the profit motive, is considered depraved or sinful. Just prove that a thing makes men happy--and you've damned it. That's how far we've come. We've tied happiness to guilt. And we've got mankind by the throat. Throw your first-born into a sacrificial furnace--lie on a bed of nails--go into the desert to mortify the flesh--don't dance--don't go to the movies on Sunday--don't try to get rich--don't smoke--don't drink. It's all the same line. The great line. Fools think that taboos of this nature are just nonsense. Something left over, old-fashioned. But there's always a purpose in nonsense. Don't bother to examine a folly--ask yourself only what it accomplishes. Every system of ethics that preached sacrifice grew into a world power and ruled millions of men. Of course, you must dress it up. You must tell people that they'll achieve a superior kind of happiness by giving up everything that makes them happy. You don't have to be too clear about it. Use big vague words. 'Universal Harmony'--'Eternal Spirit'--'Divine Purpose'--'Nirvana'--'Paradise'--'Racial Supremacy'--'The Dictatorship of the Proletariat.' Internal corruption... That's the oldest one of all. The farce has been going on for centuries and men still fall for it. Yet the test should be so simple: just listen to any prophet and if you hear him speak of sacrifice--run. Run faster than from a plague. It stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there's someone being served. The man who speaks to you
of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master. But if ever you hear a man telling you that you must be happy, that it's your natural right, that your first duty is to yourself--that will be the man who's not after your soul. That will be the man who has nothing to gain from you. But let him come and you'll scream your empty heads off, howling that he's a
selfish monster. So the racket is safe for many, many centuries. But here you might have noticed something. I said, 'It stands to reason.' Do you see? Men have a weapon against you. Reason. So you must be very sure to take it away from them. Cut the props from under it. But be careful. Don't deny outright. Never deny anything outright, you give your hand away. Don't say reason is evil--though some have gone that far and with astonishing success. Just say that reason is limited. That there's something above it. What? You don't have to be too clear about it either. The field's inexhaustible. 'Instinct'--'Feeling'--'Revelation'--'Divine Intuition'--'Dialectic Materialism.' If you get caught at some crucial point and somebody tells you that your doctrine doesn't make sense--you're ready for him. You tell him that there's something above sense. That here he must not try to think, he must feel. He must believe. Suspend reason and you play it deuces wild. Anything goes in any manner you wish whenever you need it. You've got him. Can you rule a thinking man? We don't want any thinking men... You see it being practiced all over the world... You're afraid to see where it's leading. I'm not. I'll tell you. The world of the future. The world I want. A world of obedience and of unity. A world where the thought of each man will not be his own, but an attempt to guess the thought of the brain of his neighbor who'll have no thought of his own but an attempt to guess the thought of the next neighbor who'll have no thought--and so on... around the globe. Since all must agree with all. A world where no man will hold a desire for himself, but will direct all his efforts to satisfy the desires of his neighbor who'll have no desires except to satisfy the desires of the next neighbor who'll have no desires--around the globe... Since all must serve all. A world in which man will not work for so innocent an incentive as money, but for that headless monster--prestige. The approval of his fellows--their good opinion--the opinion of men who'll be allowed to hold no opinion. An octopus, all tentacles and no brain... Not judgment, but public polls. An average drawn upon zeroes--since no individuality will be permitted. A world with its motor cut off and a single heart, pumped by hand. My hand--and the hands of a few, a very few other men like me. Those who know what makes you tick--you great, wonderful average, you who have not risen in fury when we called you the average, the little, the common, you who've liked and accepted those names. You'll sit enthroned and enshrined, you, the little people, the absolute ruler to make all past rulers squirm with envy, the absolute, the unlimited, God and Prophet and King combined. Vox populi. The average, the common, the general. Do you know the proper antonym for Ego? Bromide... The rule of the bromide. But even the trite has to be originated by someone at some time. We'll do the originating. Vox dei. We'll enjoy unlimited submission--from men who've learned nothing except to submit. We'll call it 'to serve.' We'll give out medals for service. You'll fall over one another in a scramble to see who can submit better and more. There will be no other distinction to seek. No other form of personal achievement... Everything that can't be ruled, must go. And if freaks persist in being born occasionally, they will not survive beyond their twelfth year. When their brain begins to function, it will feel the pressure and it will explode. The pressure gauged to a vacuum. Do you know the fate of deep-sea creatures brought out to sunlight?... The rest of you will smile and obey. Have you noticed that the imbecile always smiles? Man's first frown is the first touch of God on his forehead. The touch of thought. But we'll have neither God nor thought. Only voting by smiles. Automatic levers--all saying yes... Now if you were a little more intelligent... you'd ask: What of us, the rulers?... And I'd say, Yes, you're right. I'll achieve no more than you will. I'll have no purpose save to keep you contented. To lie, to flatter you, to praise you, to inflate your vanity. To make speeches about the people and the common good... my poor old friend, I'm the most selfless man you've every known. I have less independence than you... I want nothing for myself. I use people for the sake of what I can do to them. It's my only function and satisfaction. I have no private purpose. I want power. I want my world of the future. Let all live for all. Let all sacrifice and none profit. Let all suffer and none enjoy. Let progress stop. Let all
stagnate. There's equality in stagnation. All subjugated to the will of all. Universal slavery--
without even the dignity of a master. Slavery to slavery. A great circle--and a total equality. The world of the future. There you sit and the world's written all over you, your last hope... Insane? Look around you. Pick up any newspaper and read the headlines. Isn't it coming? Isn't it here? Every single thing I told you? Isn't Europe swallowed already and we're stumbling on to follow? Everything I said is contained in a single word--collectivism. And isn't that the god of our century? To act together. To think--together. To feel--together. To unite, to agree, to obey. To obey, to serve, to sacrifice. Divide and conquer--first. But then--unite and rule. We've discovered that one at last. Remember the Roman Emperor who said he wished humanity had a single neck so he could cut it? People have laughed at him for centuries. But we'll have the last laugh. We've accomplished what he couldn't accomplish. We've taught men to unite. This makes one neck ready for one leash. We found the magic word. Collectivism... Watch the pincer movement. If you're sick of one version, we push you into the other. We get you coming and going. We've closed the doors. We've fixed the coin. Heads--collectivism, and tails--collectivism. Fight the doctrine which slaughters the individual with a doctrine which slaughters the individual. Give up your soul to a council--or give it up to a leader. But give it up, give it up, give it up. My technique... Offer poison as food and poison as antidote. Go fancy on the trimmings, but hang on to the main objective. Give the fools a choice, let them have their fun--but don't forget the only purpose you have to accomplish. Kill the individual. Kill man's soul. The rest will follow automatically. Observe the state of the world as of the present moment. Do you still think I'm crazy...?
That rant is over 72 years old.

The important part, though, was offer poison as food and poison as antidote. How can you honestly believe that Trump is in any way an alternative to mainstream American politics, rather than just another part of it, masquerading as alternative?

(Although, now that I think about it, why would I assume Hilary is any more or less insane than Trump, or any other candidate?)
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 20, 2016, 4:04:38 AM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Spoiler
"
Upandatem wrote:
"
DalaiLama wrote:

Do you vote for them?

(Trump)

Do you vote for him?
This does a nice job of explaining the basic psychology of just about every dissatisfaction voter since ever and onwards.
"
Upandatem wrote:
This.

I mean really, Dalai, you go on this massive rant about how corrupt the status quo is, and you think Trump would end this status quo...

See, you are falling for the emotional appeal, just as the voters are. I didn't say trump would end the status quo, or solve the problem. I did say he isn't part of the existing do nothing crew. He might just be part of a new do nothing crew (Dilbert's reorganizational chart theory in action).

Look at the scenario again. Your house has burned down eight times. The new leader is not offering to send a fire truck, or fire insurance. He is offering to build a wall. Now if your house is burning down because neighbor's houses are catching on fire, it might make sense, but otherwise is it going to help?

It's all about the hindbrain (except when it is the brain stem). You can out think it, but it still grabs people's thought process and often derails the cerebral cortex.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:

As long as we're doing long, possibly-insane rants, allow me to quote my personal favorite: If you learn how to rule one single man's soul, you can get the rest of mankind. It's the soul... Not whips or swords or fire or guns.

I'd say capturing people's emotions is as close as we can get to ruling their souls. And that is exactly what modern politics is about the last 15 years ish.

Side X is good, Side X is bad. Side X will destroy the planet. Side X will turn us all into starving slaves. Side X is the demon child. Side X is the future. Side X is the doom.

It's probably reassuring that we will soon have robots to think for us, since we can no longer think for ourselves.

I don't think Trump has any answers. He just is better at voicing opinions people actually feel.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
But if ever you hear a man telling you that you must be happy, that it's your natural right, that your first duty is to yourself--that will be the man who's not after your soul.

Disagree. He just has a shinier collar to leash his slaves with.

Think of it this way.

You MUST be happy.

Your DUTY is to ...

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
Can you rule a thinking man?

You just have to rule the brain that is in charge. Waterboarding, for example was an effort to use brain #1, to overide and rule brain #2 and brain #3. The problem was that brain #3, where the information they wanted was, was no longer coherently connected when brain #1 was in charge of the conscious thinking process.

"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
The important part, though, was offer poison as food and poison as antidote. How can you honestly believe that Trump is in any way an alternative to mainstream American politics, rather than just another part of it, masquerading as alternative?

(Although, now that I think about it, why would I assume Hilary is any more or less insane than Trump, or any other candidate?)

(not sure where half my post went - apologies if it reappears as a double post)

Don't assume belief or endorsement. I am merely highlighting the fact that people eventually tire of watching the magician and eventually move over to watch the tigers and elephants.

Hillary is very sane, just not as good as Trump is when recovering from people catching her mistakes:

" "I don't know where he was when I was trying to get health care in '93 and '94," a fired up @HillaryClinton says of Sanders.

— Amy Chozick (@amychozick) March 12, 2016"

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/news/a42965/hillary-questions-bernies-record-on-healthcare/

http://www.c-span.org/video/?c4536221/hillary-clinton-bernie-sanders-1993

Considering that angle, I will revamp the scenario and add choice #3

3) One of the choices denies your house has ever caught fire, do you vote for them?

Last edited by DalaiLama on Mar 20, 2016, 6:06:21 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info