Eventually add physics?

So GGG, will there eventually be physics in the game?

I mean, I notice all the deaths are static canned death animations (in 2011). Will there EVENTUALLY be at least ragdoll for dead bodies and such?

Of the whole diablo scene, this game is the furthest behind when it comes to physics.

Even Grim Dawn, in pre-alpha, has physics.

It's kind of a game-breaker for me. In 2011, I expect the demise of pre-canned death animations.
This must be one of the most irrelevant gripes I've read so far.
I recently picked up D2 again and surprisingly the pre-canned deaths do not bother me. Titans Quests monster deaths however felt empty and shallow.
Walking the path since August 20th 2011.
I can't accept that it's irrelevent, as apparently the other Diablo clones (including Diablo 3 which I'll call a clone) don't think it is.

Also, I tend to like physics more than the average player for some reason. It's just that after non-canned death animations earlier in the decade, it's really hard for me to go back or believe prescripted animations. While they don't seem obvious to most people, they're VERY, painfully obvious to me.
Last edited by Neverent on Aug 11, 2011, 9:42:28 AM
I agree with the OP. Games with a good physics engine tend to be vastly superior, in my view.

i.e. when the Source engine came out (by Valve), it was a huge step forward for the FPS genre, mainly because of its superb physics for the time.

It's just something people expect in a game now; they may not even notice it's there, because it feels so natural, but it's a huge part of any 3D engine imo. It also helps breaking the feeling of repetitiveness.
Fourier - Level 41 Templar (Hardcore League)
FourierII - Level 55 Duelist (Hardcore League)
HC Ladder Rank: 7
"
Fourier wrote:
I agree with the OP. Games with a good physics engine tend to be vastly superior, in my view.

i.e. when the Source engine came out (by Valve), it was a huge step forward for the FPS genre, mainly because of its superb physics for the time.

It's just something people expect in a game now; they may not even notice it's there, because it feels so natural, but it's a huge part of any 3D engine imo. It also helps breaking the feeling of repetitiveness.

Thank you; exactly.
Physics would be nice, but not sure this engine has the groundwork for it?
"
Covertghost wrote:

It doesn't. You don't just "add physics" to anything. You either design the game with them from the ground up (Source engine, Gamebryo, other Havok-related), or you don't have them at all.
NotSorry: Bot d3 for cash, play POE all day

CaptainBurns: The game is just a means by which to kill things.
Games with physics are great and all. But, seriously it is all about the replay value. I think the game is fine the way it is.
"
krystsakes wrote:
Games with physics are great and all. But, seriously it is all about the replay value. I think the game is fine the way it is.

I agree, and I actually like canned death animations. But thats just my nostalgia talking.
"
Slicer wrote:
"
Covertghost wrote:

It doesn't. You don't just "add physics" to anything. You either design the game with them from the ground up (Source engine, Gamebryo, other Havok-related), or you don't have them at all.

Well, yes, but there is nothing stopping a developer from designing a game with the capability for "physics" but never actually using it. So I guess you could talk about "enabling" physics but not adding it... maybe that's what the OP was thinking of?

In any case, I think that, by virtue of the fact that there are already canned deaths, we won't see any Titan Quest death punts across the screen. Why spend the time and money on death animations if you aren't going to use them?

I kind of like it actually, feels nostalgic (like so much of this game).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info