High level solo experience grinding is so fun. Dying sucks.

"
bhavv wrote:
And what makes you think that hardcore players wont be paying to keep the game supported? Or that casual gamers can't, for once pick up a difficult game and learn how to play it instead of having everything simplified to easy levels?

Lets put it this way, you know that 2 million or so that GGG raised from things like diamond packs? Well as Chris said in that interview, most of that money is basically gone (salaries, and mainly things like server costs). Chris also stated that the game's current financial status isn't in stone, how strongly the game will support itself will heavily depend on the amount of micro-transactions GGG will get since open beta

Now the thing is, and its basic business 101, is that a small number of hardcore players will never financially contribute as much as having a large casual (or "mid" game player base) + hardcores. Its just economies of scale. It actually is even harsher for PoE's case, because their game is F2P and they won't get that fast money that other F2P games get where you can buy strength due to P2W (note that I am not advocating this)

Like DotA2, its funded purely on cosmetics. The thing is, people are not going to be willing to buy cosmetic stuff, thats only usable in the game, if they are not having fun out of it (or its not an engaging experience) throughout the game.

This means that PoE is completely reliant on getting a big base of players who actually buy cosmetic items, and they will only do this if they actually enjoy the game and have fun playing it. PoE's server costs are always going to be ridiculously high because they are going to support a massive portion of free players (because they game is free), and its going to get worse in that regard

So unless you are expecting hardcore players to spend a thousand dollars every month or so, the game isn't really going to fund itself if it just caters for an extremely small niche.

Also note that Chris has stated, he wants the game to be played by casuals, or more accurately, he wants to show and make the hardcore game more accessible to casuals. With current mechanics like death penalty and whatnot (there are plenty of threads on this) it won't really happen.

If PoE just caters to the hard core crowd, it will suffer the same fate most korens MMO face. Their game dies over a few years, and if they are lucky they will get bought out (or something like that) at which point you will see adds running in the game and ridiculous P2W mechanics to actually fund the game
Last edited by deteego on Feb 15, 2013, 11:44:49 PM
@OP

You must play HC bro.
I stopped reading when you thought that server costs eat up most of 2 million dollars. You have no clue whatsoever.

If GGG want this game to appeal to casuals, then they clearly are not going down that path by nerfing everysingle 'overpowered' build, and being convinced that glass cannon builds are currently viable in merciless and im the end game (Which I have posted proof of from an email reply from the developers).
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
Last edited by bhavv on Feb 15, 2013, 11:47:23 PM
"
anotherid wrote:
They aren't going to succeed in the long term then, at least in terms of funding the game for the future

This is a very short sighted point of view from a very young player i suppose.

Let me give you an example, its doesnt have anything to do with aRPG's, its just an Example.

WoW was released in 2005 with around 500k subscribers, with fairly hard content.
Clearing MC + BWL took a lot of dedication and preperation to pull off.
Raiding was only interesting for really dedicated people.
Once you had your full T1 and Benediction you've been someone in Ogrimmar.
The Game evolved over time, became better and better, and eventually more people signed up.
From the 500k subscribers it went up to 12 Million in the course of 7 Years.

The player curve starts low...raise over time, even explodes.

When you take a Game from today, they get promoted, they get hyped with crazy pitch trailers, a lot of Marketing and Advertising. The Game gets released. BOOM!!!
10+ Million Copies sold on the very First Day.

The player curve starts VERY HIGH...drops over time...to almost nothingless.

Show me a single NEW GAME which actually grows past the 10 Million sold copies.
There is none...

The "best" Games are build on the very back of passionate Gamers...so called Hardcore Gamers.

Of course, if you just want the "Casual Soup" i gladly show you the door.

GGG got a very bright future ahead, you can be damn sure about that.
I just hope they arent selling out to the highest bidder.
Last edited by Knopperz on Feb 16, 2013, 12:30:34 AM
You think you're built for survivability, yet you die all the time? Is this a joke?

You would think after dying so many times that you would realize, "hey, maybe im not much of tank"
Last edited by Zerovirus27 on Feb 16, 2013, 12:32:44 AM
This game is all about knowing the much as possible about everything in it. Look at 60+ hc players, how they do that? answer: its hard to do that.
>=====,',','
MASTER?! MASTER?! WHERE THE DREAMS THAT I'VE BEEN AFTER!!?
',',',=====<
"
bhavv wrote:
I stopped reading when you thought that server costs eat up most of 2 million dollars. You have no clue whatsoever.

Hey, chris said it in the interview, not me

Im not sure how much of a proportion, but he did say that money was already spent, and that a significant proportion went to server costs

"
bhavv wrote:

If GGG want this game to appeal to casuals, then they clearly are not going down that path by nerfing everysingle 'overpowered' build, and being convinced that glass cannon builds are currently viable in merciless and im the end game (Which I have posted proof of from an email reply from the developers).

GGG is clearly doing a good job of that, with the nerfing of GS and shock totems and discipline and all of that stuff

/sarcasm

"
Knopperz wrote:

This is a very short sighted point of view from a very young player i suppose.

Let me give you an example, its doesnt have anything to do with aRPG's, its just an Example.

WoW was released in 2005 with around 500k subscribers, with fairly hard content.
Clearing MC + BWL took a lot of dedication and preperation to pull off.
Raiding was only interesting for really dedicated people.
Once you had your full T1 and Benediction you've been someone in Ogrimmar.
The Game evolved over time, became better and better, and eventually more people signed up.
From the 500k subscribers it went up to 12 Million in the course of 7 Years.

The player curve starts low...raise over time, even explodes.

When you take a Game from today, they get promoted, they get hyped with crazy pitch trailers, a lot of Marketing and Advertising. The Game gets released. BOOM!!!
10+ Million Copies sold on the very First Day.

The player curve starts VERY HIGH...drops over time...to almost nothingless.

Show me a single NEW GAME which actually grows past the 10 Million sold copies.
There is none...

The "best" Games are build on the very back of passionate Gamers...so called Hardcore Gamers.

Of course, if you just want the "Casual Soup" i gladly show you the door.

GGG got a very bright future ahead, you can be damn sure about that.
I just hope they arent selling out to the highest bidder.

The majority of WoW are casual players, in fact the very very very vast majority

Stuff like high end raids and whatnot only tiny fraction of people do

D3 was one of the best selling games of all times, in fact pretty much every single one of blizzards games are. And its pretty much fact that WoW has altered/released a lot of content specifically for casuals
Last edited by deteego on Feb 16, 2013, 12:51:05 AM
"
schisist wrote:
It's ok, you will still be here repeating the same 3 acts, spamming the same 2 spells, until you need to be taken to the hospital.

strangely, i ejoy spamming 2 spells in PoE for few years moore, than all the fluffy skills of "some other game of this genre". And you know, you can build a character taht uses moore than 2 skills, my brainiac friend! <3
>=====,',','
MASTER?! MASTER?! WHERE THE DREAMS THAT I'VE BEEN AFTER!!?
',',',=====<
Last edited by IVIetal on Feb 16, 2013, 12:54:13 AM
Funny you mention discipline yet forget about CI.

If you think than any of what you listed makes the end game easier to play, then you obviosly havnt gotten that far yet. Shock totems die in a 1-2 hits. Sure they look all fancy and powerful during your ledge and docks speed farming runs, but they don't maintain their usefulness later on when they are too weak.

ES + Discipline is still vastly inferior to simply building HP. Nothing that you listed is overpowered in the end game, simple as that.

This game is not being made to appeal to casuals, get over it.
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
Last edited by bhavv on Feb 16, 2013, 12:58:29 AM
yep you need more health and defense.
At level 80 2.5k or more plus a good defense node is needed for solo. Look at some hard core builds and see if you can get an idea.
I only have about 15 nodes offense on tree, rest is defense and ability points to get defense. I plan on getting every health node run full evasion. a good chest piece is 1k plus on evasion.
ign SeaSaint or DadSaint

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info