High level solo experience grinding is so fun. Dying sucks.

"
Sizzlebuzz wrote:
He makes to the door and I back up to about the start-mid of the hallway, I throw out another totem and some traps while readying my frenzy charges and I die.

Nothing is around me, anywhere. I see the boss walk up to my corpse and attack my totem, indicating he was indeed far enough away to be unable to hit me with a melee wave that would kill me like something just did.

I don't think it's a desync issue, because I had that boss do the exact same thing to me twice. I'm playing a ranger too. I always kept him at maximum distance, shooting with Frenzy. Nothing around me, most of the the time there were like 20 minions from another player inbetween me and the boss. And then I die onehit all of a sudden. Unpredictable, 3k HP gone like nothing. He didn't pull me and didn't make his blood strike in that moment. Also other players told me they were not seeing the boss in my proximity either. I guess he's doing some skill or whatever that I still didn't figure out. Any hints would be appreciated!
Last edited by Luzzifus on Feb 15, 2013, 8:43:11 AM
"
Sizzlebuzz wrote:
Well, thank you for the responses and support. I just died again due to two poison traps cast on me from another room at the same time, or one on me and something exploding on me before I could even move and lost another 15%. Temporal chains map and aoe dots. My fault for not just destroying the map.

So I think I am calling it for now, maybe for good.

Good luck to you all with whatever you decide to do in game and out. Cya.

As for map affixes, I don't even pay attention to them, they're blue, more magic, blood magic, extra damage. I believe the map I died in was a elemental equilibrium map.

I really never knew playing a game could make someone feel like such shit. But it has. I feel so down right now.

"
KrO wrote:
Your time is never fully wasted, you are also farming for gear, currency, not just XP. If you feel like you hit a brick wall, getting frustrated then re-roll a new charcter. No need to rush to 100, just take your time dude.

No, I feel like my time was wasted rather. I am farming for one thing, and that is a lioneye bow. The currency I obtain from even a month of farming may not even be enough to get one. The rares I get are never good, and people are always trying to rip people off when it comes to trading. If this isn't time wasted, I don't know what is.

You have 2 problems: 2200 hp at 80 is just BAD building, no offense intended but its the truth, and you dont know the map mod mechanics vs your build, simple as that. This sums up to one problem: lack of knowledge about the end/lategame, which is perfectly normal for a first character/new player in this game.

What is happening to you is also happening/will happen to the vast majority of new players, so dont worry about it too much. I could risk that like 80 or 90% of new players WILL have this problem. I've had it in closed beta, and i also risk saying that most of us had it as well.

There is almost never a circunstance that make late game trivial or faceroll and specially the D3 crowd - no offense intended, but D3's endgame is a joke both in playstyle and mechanics; play VERY safe, dont move straight ahead. Move carefully, use totems for "scouting"/aggro drawing purposes and LEARN what map mods you can and cannot make safelly.

If you dont analyse your build properly vs the map mods (and this requires experience and game knowledge), if you dont weigth the pros and cons you will always fail in endgame.

This isnt D3, which is designed for a 4 year old dog to steamroll endgame content. End game in POE IS possible to solo, but it is manmode and again, requires a healthy dose of game knowledge. It's challenging and keeps you on your toes; the only issue it has imo is abysmal risk->reward ratio when compared to full party play.
If you want a more laid back, constant and smooth progression that "demands" next to nothing from awareness and general mechanics knowledge, I'm sorry to say this isnt the game for you. You always have D3 for that.
Last edited by Xoraisse on Feb 15, 2013, 8:53:06 AM
Only thing that sucks is you build buddy. Learn from you mistakes and rethink it
I can relate to the issues the OP has. (Even though I have 3.3k hp.) The thing that sucks the most for me is not knowing which variety of mobs I will encounter. I can be a cakewalk if the right mobs show up and it can become totally devastating. And this has nothing to do with the level of the map or the affixes it rolled. Would be nice to be able to better control what mobs you will encounter. So you at least know what you might be facing.
This is now on page two, and no one has asked for the OP's build. I'm disappointed in all of you.
Your defenses are way to low, my 74 HC ranger has 4k life and I still haven't hit all the health nodes i want...
On a different tangent to the thread. I have noticed that the dsync of Brutus/Kole to be the worst in the game for me.

Maybe the devs know why with one monster I never know where it actually is, yet when there are 30 skellies on the screen they are always where they actually are.
Question for those of you that have a lot of endgame experience. Are there any good "maps for noobs" write-ups? I just got my first character through merciless, and I need to figure out if maps are something she will be able to do or not.
"
Luzzifus wrote:
Unpredictable, 3k HP gone like nothing. He didn't pull me and didn't make his blood strike in that moment. Also other players told me they were not seeing the boss in my proximity either. I guess he's doing some skill or whatever that I still didn't figure out. Any hints would be appreciated!

I'm wondering about this too as the same thing happened to me when I did my first Brutus map yesterday, all of the sudden I was just DEAD and I had no idea why! Oh well I thought must be my fault or desync or something, time to make the softcore walk of shame and finish him..
There is admittedly a huge difficulty jump from usual content areas as compared to maps. Most of it is due to the fact that mobs in maps are unpredictable. After playing through two difficulties, you have some idea of what kind of monsters each zone has. Not for maps. When you enter maps, you never know what kind of elemental damage mob you'll be facing, you never know if you're going to be flickered by a bunch of flicker spiders or just have some harmless squids running up to you, and that's the beauty of it.

To the OP: The fact that you can make it to level 80 in my opinion probably means that your build should be robust enough, at least for default. What you probably don't have enough of is gear. That is the main reason why most players struggle. To get better gear, you should probably try and equip items with IIR/IIQ and farm easier zones, or just use trading. As abhorrent as the feeling of being ripped off while trading can be, it's a necessary evil and a necessary learning process for new players. Plus if you end up getting an upgrade, regardless of how much it cost, the amount of additional safety and dps it can offer you is priceless, as it'll help to reduce the number of deaths for you and hence exp loss. Better being ripped off on an upgrade rather than letting orbs stay in stash and dying repeatedly.

I see many posts/topics like this made by other players as well complaining that the game is too hard and all, but it's mainly because you guys have poor gear and are struggling and are refusing to trade because of the fear of being ripped off. Some of you even contemplate quitting and it makes me sad because you're missing out on so much more that this game has to offer if you're only willing to take risks and learn from your mistakes.

Trust me, this advice is coming from a player who when he started, spent an exalted orb on an a level 20 amulet worth at most 1 alch in his first week of playing and had 300 deaths by the time he hit level 70. I got stuck in however and am enjoying the game much more now than I did before
Build of the Week 14
The first Righteous Fire/Non-Shavronne's/Shavronne's HC
Shameless self-proclaimed theory-crafting extraordinaire and forum crusader

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info